RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Remote start option

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-11, 07:58 PM
py0413
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Totally agree with you guys. I shouldn't even consider bestbuy, futureshop, visions, and ect at first place. In fact, I contact the service manager at my local Lexus dealership and asked him where he usually sends cars to get work done. He recommended a shop for me an then I contact the manager of the shop asking about having the remote starter installed there. They don't carry the brand (viper) but he quoted me $400 plus tax all included for a NuStart system. I am now thinking about that option. You guys are 100% correct that theses people at specialty shop know better about what product and service they are selling. Now i am to do a little research on this NuStart brand tonight and see if it is proper to go with.

And again, thanks for all your advices. Really appreciate them.
Old 12-02-11, 04:48 AM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nustart is also a good brand. You may not be able to make it work with the smartstart though. There is another brand of smartphone app called Drone Mobile that does the same thing.

Here is the deal on Remote starters: 90% are made by 2 companies under a bunch of names. Directed Electronics makes Viper, Python, Autostart, Astrostart, clifford and a few others and Compustar that makes Pro and Compustar brands.

Whatever starter you get, I would think about getting one that is compatable with the smartstart/drone system so you can use your smartphone later on. I am putting in the module for GPS now, but will not hook it up until the Iphone 5 comes out. You only pay once to put it in, then you can choose if you want to activate it.
Old 12-02-11, 08:02 AM
Rookie

so, buy the OEM one, I have this installed by myself, I leave in LOndon, on, we both in Canada. My suggestion is do not try to break the OEM wire or computer or something, they will work very well with OEM things, so install OEM one you will not have any trouble.
Originally Posted by py0413
Thank you for your kindness. I am really considering this option now after hearing so much bull**** from those shops here. I went to the other shop where my friend got their keyless entry system installed. They did a pretty good job on my friend's car so I decided to pay them a visit, but the result is rather disappointing. First, the guy works there doesn't seem to know too much about what I am looking for. It turned out they gave me a quote which was $750 plus tax and that is to said a $125 discount given to me for just the REMOTE STARTER (Viper 5501). I was shocked and was going to leave. They started to tell me how the others are not professional compare to them and others not being honest with all the hidden cost. I then asked why their price is almost twice as much comparing to others. This other guy (technician) came out and said because my car is too new so they need to install some extra modules such as remote lock/unlock, push start, tailgate, and other craps I can't even remember. I said to him that I have asked around and the only module I will need is a bypass module listed on Viper's website. He claimed that I was wrong and due to his over 10 year experience in the industry, the system won't work without the MODULES he mentioned. I took off and will never return to that place for any car related service/product.

I wish someone in our community can confirm that the only module that is needed is that XpressKit Databus All Interface Module listed on viper.com/
All that I want is just the remote starter figure. I don't need a remote that replaces the features on my factory key fob or replaces the security system that comes with the car already.
Old 12-02-11, 08:10 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I was going to wait before commenting on this remote start discussion as I'm currently involved in an install and hoped to report favorably. However it is going to drag on for awhile, so here I am reporting what I know as of today.

I have found some automotive accessory installers to be rude, arrogant and all-knowing when they aren't. I had a Viper SmartStart installed in my 2010 450. There were so many problems, I had it removed. Vipers servers seemed to get overloaded and communications failed often. The 450 also had the OEM remote start, which worked flawlessly from 30 feet.

Currently I'm having the Drone CompuStar installed on our 2012 450. It seems to work, except I have now lost the smart key access function. Let me clarify, if the car is locked, alarm armed and I walk up with the fob in my pocket and grab the door handle to get in the car the alarm goes off. The installers acted like it was no big deal. A $50,000 car that losses a major function, no big deal. Grrrrrr. So for a small additional fee they will try to get the smart key access working again.

If you are going to get a remote start, read everything on Club Lexus and visit the manufacture's Facebook page and read all the comments. Are people happy or dissatisfied??
Old 12-02-11, 08:52 PM
kingnba6
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

for an extra fee they will TRY? really that sucks. i would of told them on the spot that if they didnt fix that feature i dont want to get charged for anything and to remove the alarm.
Old 12-02-11, 09:14 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Originally Posted by kingnba6
for an extra fee they will TRY? really that sucks. i would of told them on the spot that if they didnt fix that feature i dont want to get charged for anything and to remove the alarm.
I had paid in advance to get a "pre-Black Friday" discount and the removal fee is $50.

You are absolutely correct.
Old 12-02-11, 10:42 PM
py0413
Driver

Originally Posted by DunWkg
I was going to wait before commenting on this remote start discussion as I'm currently involved in an install and hoped to report favorably. However it is going to drag on for awhile, so here I am reporting what I know as of today.

I have found some automotive accessory installers to be rude, arrogant and all-knowing when they aren't. I had a Viper SmartStart installed in my 2010 450. There were so many problems, I had it removed. Vipers servers seemed to get overloaded and communications failed often. The 450 also had the OEM remote start, which worked flawlessly from 30 feet.

Currently I'm having the Drone CompuStar installed on our 2012 450. It seems to work, except I have now lost the smart key access function. Let me clarify, if the car is locked, alarm armed and I walk up with the fob in my pocket and grab the door handle to get in the car the alarm goes off. The installers acted like it was no big deal. A $50,000 car that losses a major function, no big deal. Grrrrrr. So for a small additional fee they will try to get the smart key access working again.

If you are going to get a remote start, read everything on Club Lexus and visit the manufacture's Facebook page and read all the comments. Are people happy or dissatisfied??
I am sorry to hear the inconvenience you have experienced. I am glad you share this with us though. Today, I went to a local specialized shop and had a little chat with the owner. I have to say these guys are propabaly the most professional people I have talked to locally and that is why they have a great reputation here in town. The owner simply told me not to mess around with using aftermarket electronic parts on an expensive newer vehicle like the RX. He told me he never worked on a 2010 or newer RX, however he would usually recommend customers with high end vehicles keep everything stock or use only factory parts/accessories. The other shops tried to make the sale by telling me they can take care of everything easily but I can tell that they have no idea what they are doing.

As for now, I will wait to hear from Lexus see if they can confirm warranty coverage if I get the oem remote starter parts from USA and have them installed here in Canada.
Old 12-04-11, 05:46 AM
TampaOwner
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default this cant be

i have the factory installed remote starter for my 2012 RX450. it starts the car just fine. but when you open the door, it shuts off. its the most annoying thing ive ever seen, this cant be how it operates...
Old 12-04-11, 07:22 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Originally Posted by TampaOwner

this cant be how it operates...
Oh but it is. Safety feature.
Old 12-04-11, 08:24 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

i have the factory installed remote starter for my 2012 RX450. it starts the car just fine. but when you open the door, it shuts off. its the most annoying thing ive ever seen, this cant be how it operates...
It's operating as it is supposed to. Check the owners manual. Would you rather someone be able to come up to your running vehicle, hop in and drive off while you are in your house doing the last minutes things you need to before you leave? Granted after they turn it off it would take a professional about another 60 seconds to get it started again but still.
Old 12-04-11, 08:53 AM
kingnba6
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hmm maybe somebody can look into switching the wires of the stock auto start and wiring the safety wire to the brake or something? in my viper 5902, the safety switch is wired to the brake
Old 12-04-11, 03:23 PM
TampaOwner
Driver

we live in florida so well use it to turn on the A/C and vented seats while we return to the car from a store... but it it only runs a few seconds and we have to start it again when we sit, its just stupid. when i start the car, ITS LOCKED so how can it be stolen unless they have my key fab? its completely stupid
Old 12-05-11, 06:12 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

we live in florida so well use it to turn on the A/C and vented seats while we return to the car from a store... but it it only runs a few seconds and we have to start it again when we sit, its just stupid. when i start the car, ITS LOCKED so how can it be stolen unless they have my key fab? its completely stupid
Not sure why you would remote start the car from 30 feet since it won't cool down very fast by the time you get there but to answer your question as to how it can be stolen when locked the answer is smart key frequency hacking. Smart keys are one of the best theft deterents out there but these cars aren't bullet proof for a professional car thief. Granted most are fly by night and won't work harder than they need to but the software for hacking smart key frequencies (rotating codes or not) can be obtained for a couple grand.
Old 12-05-11, 07:45 AM
TampaOwner
Driver

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by MX5NES350
Not sure why you would remote start the car from 30 feet since it won't cool down very fast by the time you get there but to answer your question as to how it can be stolen when locked the answer is smart key frequency hacking. Smart keys are one of the best theft deterents out there but these cars aren't bullet proof for a professional car thief. Granted most are fly by night and won't work harder than they need to but the software for hacking smart key frequencies (rotating codes or not) can be obtained for a couple grand.

come on, be reasonable. smart key frequency hacking? that has nothing to do with shutting the car off when i open the door because if they could hack the smart key, they could do it anyway. besides, its kept in a garage, so no worries. if that really is a threat, then i have my Enform gps tracking service that can find it, and if all else fails, i get a new car through insurance if its stolen. why do i have to be inconvienced every day for the life of the car? its just silly and therws no reason to shut it off whn i open the door. if i have the key fab with me and im opening the door, then obviously its me. if its not me, then my car is getting stolen anyway, so the remote start safety issue is moot. again, its ridiculous to shut the car off when i grab the handle.
Old 12-05-11, 08:08 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Tampa, agreed. Do it like other OEM remote starts. If you have the fob, open door, push start button twice, put it in gear and drive off. If you dont have the fob, you get in and if you either touch the brake or touch start button, car stops running. Lexus does a triple, quadruple(?) safety check.

Quick Reply: Remote start option