RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

A click-type noise from front wiper?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-11, 09:03 PM
bmx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question A click-type noise from front wiper?

My rx350 is two-month old w/o rain sensor. I haven't had many chances (at most 3 times so far) to use the wiper since I purchased the car. So I don't remember that I ever noticed the noise when I turned on the front wiper. Today it's raining and I set the wiper frequency at the lowest intermittent. There is a clicking noise whenever the wiper moves to the bottom of the windshield. The click is pretty loud (it sounds like 'ta') and it's a little bit annoying. I don't think I ever heard a similar noise on other cars I have owned. Is that click normal to rx350 or did you have the same issue on yours? Any suggestion/advice will be appreciated.
Old 06-23-11, 09:50 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I also have a click, but I think mine goes off when the wipers just start to go up, not when they come down. I am not sure if it is friction of the glass causing a stuttering or if it is an activation sound.
Old 06-23-11, 09:58 PM
bmx
Driver School Candidate

It's a single click sound when moving-down wipers are right at the bottom position
Old 06-24-11, 05:27 PM
jskennedy
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

can you tell where sound is coming from

could be the wiper relay switch
Old 06-24-11, 09:38 PM
bmx
Driver School Candidate

Not sure where the sound really comes from. I can clearly hear the click sound when I sit inside my car, especially when my car is idling and wipers are moving with the frquency of the lowest intermittent. But I can't hear it if I stand outside and put my ear close the moving wipers.

Last edited by bmx; 06-24-11 at 09:44 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-25-11, 04:56 AM
jskennedy
Pole Position

seems like i've noticed the same thing when wiper is @ a slower speed

seems like it bugged me @ 1st, guess i've gotten used to it now

assumed it was relay switch

if you find it too annoying, you might could swap relay switch w/ another that may be quieter
Old 06-27-11, 08:41 PM
bmx
Driver School Candidate

I think I will get used to it as long as it's not caused by electronic or mechanic problems. Just didn't expect that kind of noise from vehicles from Lexus, which is well known for manufacturing quieter cars.
Thanks again for sharing your thought.
Old 06-28-11, 04:52 PM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bmx
I think I will get used to it as long as it's not caused by electronic or mechanic problems. Just didn't expect that kind of noise from vehicles from Lexus, which is well known for manufacturing quieter cars.
Thanks again for sharing your thought.
Why not get your dealer to look at it under the warranty ?
Old 06-29-11, 11:18 AM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Hmm. I guess I'll have to listen for this clicking noise. I can't say I've noticed it on my RX, although I do have the rain-sensing wipers. I remember being very impressed on my previous RX, a 2007 model, at how super quiet the wipers were when they were on.
Old 06-29-11, 01:06 PM
bmx
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 4482
Why not get your dealer to look at it under the warranty ?
In my plan.
Old 01-28-12, 05:47 AM
mswilsonuk
Driver School Candidate

Hi, just wondering if there was any resolution to this?

I have the same issue on my 20121. The noise is coming from the wiper stalk and occurs everytime the wiper mechanism is engaged to start. So I hear it every time the wipers move when using intermittent, like a "Tick" sound (or sometimes a "Tick-TicK"), but do not hear it when the wipers are working at fixed speed.

It is pretty annoying.
Old 01-28-12, 06:13 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Been such a mild winter, have not had but one icy, snowy day and I could not keep windshield clear on this 2012. During that day, I heard a click I had not ever heard in my 2010. However, I could not duplicate it again.

It sounded like two metal parts hitting one another, not like a contact closure of a relay. I will try to pay attention to mode of operation at the time, if it occurs again.
Old 01-28-12, 08:07 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Just speculating because mine doesn't do it but if it's coming from the area of the stalk do you think it might be the electronic timer or actuator ???

If so, a trip to the dealer can probably get it fixed under warranty.
Originally Posted by mswilsonuk
Hi, just wondering if there was any resolution to this?

I have the same issue on my 20121. The noise is coming from the wiper stalk and occurs everytime the wiper mechanism is engaged to start. So I hear it every time the wipers move when using intermittent, like a "Tick" sound (or sometimes a "Tick-TicK"), but do not hear it when the wipers are working at fixed speed.

It is pretty annoying.
Old 01-29-12, 04:28 PM
mswilsonuk
Driver School Candidate

It is definately coming from the stalk but I do not know the cause. I am not trying to be overly picky with this car, but this noise is kind of annoying. I will likely mention it to the dealer.

So, to be clear, most other people are not getting this noise? (you get the same "click" (a single one) by pushing the stalk upwards to activate the single wiper swipe).

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Just speculating because mine doesn't do it but if it's coming from the area of the stalk do you think it might be the electronic timer or actuator ???

If so, a trip to the dealer can probably get it fixed under warranty.
Old 02-01-12, 09:56 AM
bmx
Driver School Candidate

I did point out this noise to the dealer when my car was at its 5000 mile service. But their answer was simply that it's normal sound, huh? I think I have gotten used to the click sound although I do hope Lexus can do a better job on this.

Quick Reply: A click-type noise from front wiper?