RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Problem with seats- anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-11, 01:28 PM
gasboy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with seats- anyone else?

The seats are comfortable until I drive more than an hour. I've tried every position but my hips seize and I can barely move. I don't have this problem in any of my other cars I drive. I'm six foot. I'm not overweight. I've tried sitting on a pillow. Any suggestions? Does anyone else have this problem? I can't take it anymore and am thinking of selling it.
Old 02-01-11, 03:25 PM
sightdev
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gasboy
The seats are comfortable until I drive more than an hour. I've tried every position but my hips seize and I can barely move. I don't have this problem in any of my other cars I drive. I'm six foot. I'm not overweight. I've tried sitting on a pillow. Any suggestions? Does anyone else have this problem? I can't take it anymore and am thinking of selling it.
typical/mostly Asian/American seats, soft. Acura and most European vehicles have firm and nicely contour seats perfect for long drive but Lexus/Toyo have chosen "soft" seats so it feels nice in short drives but not so in long drives as the bottom cushion "sinks" over period of time. may be you can have upholstery shop add cross strings [used in couches to firm up the base] on the leap spring to firm it up. I did that to an old Jeep I had long time ago to reduce the sagging and it worked good.
Old 02-01-11, 03:39 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by The X Men
Try lowering the front of your seat bottom, maybe its too high and cutting off your circulation.
And slide right off the seat

I have my seat all the way back, the seat slightly down with the back angled. It seems less roomy than before and the seats are thinner, maybe flatter, than previous RXs. Took me a while to find a comfortable spot.

You might want to adjust the steering wheel. That will definitely affect the way you sit in the car.
Old 02-02-11, 07:58 AM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm finding my RX seat even more comfortable than the IS 350's seats. If I didn't have a herniated disc in my back at the moment, I'm sure they'd be even better.
Old 02-02-11, 12:11 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

euro seats are hard as rock. I think this generation of RX seats is better than the previous generations'. I also made sure to get the extend-able seat cushion in the luxury package to accommodate my long legs
Old 02-05-11, 07:27 AM
ziggy1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

One of the reasons I purchased mine was because in several of my previous vehicles, including a Mercury Mountaineer, I would develop a dull cramp in my left leg/butt in long drives. This has never happened in either of my two RXs. Sorry about your experience. Maybe if you play with all the adjustments enough, you'll eventually find one that fits your needs. Good luck.
Old 02-05-11, 07:14 PM
data2009
Pole Position

I had the same thoughts after I took the first long trip in our then 1-month old RX, including getting the dealership to install the seats from Luxury package (a crazy idea that never materialized, of course).

Then the seat cushions settled in, and I found a suitable position that is now comfortable (thanks to memory seats, I don't need to struggle with finding the right position).

Getting a Luxury package would have been justified for me, if I did more research at the time we got ours (about seats having adjustable cushions to provide better support for thighs).

Just give it some time - the seats should get more comfortable.

If not, do a research on thigh cushions (try rolling a bath towel and putting it under your knees).

RX was not built with 6' drivers in mind, that I can tell for sure.
Old 02-09-11, 10:28 PM
CliffV
Driver School Candidate

I had neck pain for the first two months we owned my wife's RX450H. I finally measured the angle and height of the seat, seat back, and steering wheel compared with own car (BMW 328ci). It then took another two weeks for the pain to go away.

I bought the car last July. I now love it. But I really thought I had screwed up buying the car.
Old 02-10-11, 12:24 PM
gasboy
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the replies. I think I will give it a couple of more months to see if it gets tolerable. I bought this car in September and now have 12000 miles on it. I down sized from a Lincoln Navigator. What a mistake!