RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

FWD vs. AWD

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-11, 11:35 PM
edwa
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question FWD vs. AWD

Hi there,

I'm thinking about getting an used 2010 used RX350 and would like some input from people that actually own one.
The FWD is a lot cheaper than the AWD but I was worried about the quality of the build.
How many of you actually own the FWD RX350.
Any inputwould be great.
thanks
Old 01-19-11, 12:38 AM
JiniJazz
Rookie

I asked the same question to the dealer today, and they told me to get FWD. Cheaper purchase price, cheaper insurance, etc. They basically told me AWD is rarely needed here in California and only useful in heavy snow area, but you need chain anyway for that. They say 80% of the sale is FWD. Not sure if it is true or not, but I just have the same question. Anyone?
Old 01-19-11, 03:26 AM
ejvette
Driver

Depending on the area you live. Here on long island you won't even see a FWD on the lot where in Florida they have a ton of FWD's on the lot. If you live in an area where snow is a concern or travel to areas where snows a concern I would think you would rather have the AWD.
Old 01-19-11, 04:06 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

You live in BC, so it depends where or what conditions you plan to drive it in. On the Lower Mainland you may be able to get by with FWD, but when you head into the Fraser Valley and points North, AWD would be a better choice. In your case, opinions from Southern California are irrelevant as their climate is completely different.
Old 01-19-11, 04:25 AM
k9shelly1
Driver

In San Antonio the dealer never gets AWD unless ordered by a customer. We don't see snow down here (once in over 75 years) which is when you'll need it.
Old 01-19-11, 05:04 AM
BCRCornet
Driver

Default AWD? In BC?

@edwa: I believe you're posting from British Columbia?

FYI, all 2010 RXs sold by Lexus Canada were AWD. Unless you're prepared to buy an American-market (or other non-Canadian) RX, any that you find in BC will be AWD anyway.
Old 01-19-11, 05:59 AM
mac12
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cwd
So where are the RX350 FWD build? In Japan?
Mine was built in Canada.
Old 01-19-11, 08:22 AM
BCRCornet
Driver

Default Manufacturing Location of Canadian-Market RXs

Originally Posted by cwd
So where are the RX350 FWD build? In Japan?
@cwd: That all RXs sold in/by Lexus Canada are AWD is a marketing decision by Lexus - I don't think the location of manufacture had anything to do with it. Just as in the U.S., some Canadian-market RXs are made in Japan, if the options configuration requires it.
Old 01-19-11, 09:45 AM
flystone
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There shouldn't be any build quality difference, however, there will be a difference in ride quality..especially on turns/ramp/corners..IMO, AWD has much less body roll and better steering response
Old 01-19-11, 03:53 PM
Mdkellys
Pole Position

My brother in law lives in Richmond and got a Honda Pilot with FWD. Of course they have had more snow than normal since he did that. The one thing we noticed was that we tow jet skis and a boat and his FWD slips badly the end of the year on the ramp when pulling out the boat with just FWD.
Old 01-19-11, 06:03 PM
edwa
Rookie

Yes, I am in BC but snow has never been a problem, I always run snow tires and not all seasons.
The reason I was concerned was that when other manufacturers (ie. VW) started building in Mexico, their quality control was awful. A friend that is a mechanic there always warns other friends about that.
If we decide on the RX I'll probably be importingit from the States.
Old 01-21-11, 05:59 AM
ziggy1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The only negative thing about the AWD (other than the price differential and complexity) is somewhat poorer gas mileage even though the AWD uses FWD most of the time.
Old 01-21-11, 06:13 AM
JimH2
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The difference in gas mileage is fairly insignificant as opposed to the utility/benefits of having an AWD if conditions where you live warrant the occasional need for it. I believe the FWD is rated as 18/25 MPG while the AWD is rated as 18/24.
Old 01-21-11, 08:06 AM
LexFather

^^^True, the only real detriment is a 1 or 2 MPG loss, which is possible or not, it depends how much the AWD system kicks in. From my understanding the 3RX is 100% FWD until slippage is detected, then it moves the power to the rear wheels. IN contrast the RWD AWD IS/GS/LS are 30/70 even in normal driving conditions.

Having had a 1RX and now 2RXh I searched for AWD, even in Atlanta. It snowed/iced here and the AWD system was great, even if its used sparingly.
Old 01-21-11, 02:45 PM
edwa
Rookie

Is the mechanics of it kind of the same in the IS250 except its RWD to AWD?
Cause if it is I'll definitely buy the FWD RX350 cause we own a 2006 IS250 AWD and I can tell you that the gas mileage (mostly in the city mind you) is definitely the worst of any vehicle in its class and maybe most classes.

Granted we still love that car and wouldn't get rid of it for anything.

Quick Reply: FWD vs. AWD