RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Changing the engine air filter??

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-11, 03:36 PM
gladiator9
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Changing the engine air filter??

Hi!
Just wondering if anyone has changed their own air intake filter? Looking under the hood I see lots of fasteners for the plastic covers. Are the fasteners easy to remove? Is there any special tools required? I have always done the basic maintenance on our vehicles and would like to continue doing the air filters, engine and cabin, wiper blades, etc.
Couldn't find much on this site for instructions!
Cheers,
Jim...
Old 01-18-11, 05:37 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

The air filter is on driver's side. Take off the plastic cover closest to the firewall on driver's side that includes the little battery hole/cover. To pop off the fastener, press the center of the fastener and it will click, this then allows you to remove the whole fastener using a small thin blade (if you got a trim tool set, that would be ideal). Normally, the center button should be flush with the rest of the fastener rim. Once the fastener is out, I reset the fastener by pulling on the longest grip tab outward then pushing up on the center button shaft to reset it. The air filter is in the rectangular box held on with 2 silver flip type fasteners. Once you flip the fasteners toward the front of the vehicle, just pull up on the lid and the filter holder will come out. BTW, this is for a 10RX350, maybe slightly different on 450h? Also realize that this is from memory, I'm not looking at it right now so there may be slight variation.
Old 02-04-11, 12:07 PM
BlueSurf
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone put a K&N air-filter on a RX450h? Any experience with the product?
Old 02-04-11, 09:07 PM
afpj
Instructor

have used K & N in GM truck, Nissan truck, RX330, and now 10 RX350. Sorry, don't know about 450h. I'm not sure how you would screw up the MAF if you leave the carbon filter in place (the filter in the white mesh just behind the air filter). Just follow directions and slowly oil filter. It takes me most of a day to recondition one as I go slow and add oil just as directed (though I let it sit between oil applications alot longer than on directions as I go find something else to do- but overoiling doesn't happen with this method). We DO notice increase power, but not from an actual dyno mind you, but from the seat of our pants. For 10RX350, getting 1 mpg higher average in winter. Since we only installed it recently, don't know what it will be in summer. Sorry if this doesn't answer your question re: rx450h, but this info may help
Old 02-05-11, 05:07 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by afpj
have used K & N in GM truck, Nissan truck, RX330, and now 10 RX350. Sorry, don't know about 450h. I'm not sure how you would screw up the MAF if you leave the carbon filter in place (the filter in the white mesh just behind the air filter). Just follow directions and slowly oil filter. It takes me most of a day to recondition one as I go slow and add oil just as directed (though I let it sit between oil applications alot longer than on directions as I go find something else to do- but overoiling doesn't happen with this method). We DO notice increase power, but not from an actual dyno mind you, but from the seat of our pants. For 10RX350, getting 1 mpg higher average in winter. Since we only installed it recently, don't know what it will be in summer. Sorry if this doesn't answer your question re: rx450h, but this info may help
If true,why don't auto manufacturers use a K&N or similar air filter?
Auto manufacturers are under the gun with the rising CAFE requirements and would like extra horsepower.
I believe a K&N intake system may give you what you claim but a simple drop in filter...nah.

Last edited by Joeb427; 02-05-11 at 06:44 AM.
Old 02-06-11, 11:44 AM
afpj
Instructor

Joeb427,
I have absolutely no clue why manufacturer's do what they do. I don't know if it's a true hp gain, but the theory of a less restrictive airflow seems valid up to a point. One thing that we've noticed in addition to the "subjective" feeling of increased acceleration, is that the transmission lag for shifting while passing is reduced. It seems to downshift much quicker. Coincidence? Maybe, but when we switch back to the standard paper filter, we can feel the difference again. I guess quicker throttle response is really all it's doing, but we like it whatever it changes. I would love an actual CAI for this car. The air intake size that leads into the airbox is pretty pitiful. Thought of doing a "swiss cheese" mod to the air box, but only a thought for now. As they say, your mileage may vary. I'm happy with the results so I'll stick with it.
Old 02-08-11, 07:50 AM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default True - but

Originally Posted by The X Men
Auto manufacturer dont use filters like K&N because it doesnt increase HP or MPG. These auto manfcaturers spends millions of dollars a year trying to find ways to gain HP and MPG, if they can do it with a $50 air filter, every Tom, **** and Harry would be using it.
I remember 25-30 years ago they were saying the same thing about SYNTHETIC OILS & LUBES. Now it is a factory install in many vehicles & more every year. Maybe the price of a cheap paper unit stops them from putting in a more expensive filter today but with more & more interest in better MPG they just might have to find a better air filter.