RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

List your problems with the new RX please

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-11, 05:51 AM
shikbas
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default List your problems with the new RX please

Hello guys,thinking to buy a new rx,can you list any poblems
Old 01-13-11, 06:34 AM
k9shelly1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

shikbas, I can do you a favor as I did the research on this before buying. I searched everywhere and could not find any issues with the RX. I think the only problem I found was that the rear taneu cover rattles a bit. After purchasing the RX I can say that it does but is not as bad as you hear. You can also simply remove it if needed.

Anyway, the RX is a great vehicle. We've had it since October of '10 and is by far the best vehicle we have owned. Great ride with well built interior. If you do find people that will post issues with it I am sure that they will be isolated and not too common.

Good luck on your endeavor.
Old 01-13-11, 06:39 AM
papaalex
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not really a problem but i wished the dashboard would show what gear i am on when i am in "Drive" mode.. It only shows in manual mode which i never really use.
Old 01-13-11, 09:02 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by cwd
No problems here
Same here!
Old 01-13-11, 10:02 AM
alewing
Driver School Candidate

Hi, I am about to buy an RX350 as well. It seems like most complaints I have found are related to the hybrid variant. Even then, the issues I saw were not dismissive of the vehicle.
Old 01-13-11, 10:06 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

^^ what problems with the hybrid?
Old 01-13-11, 11:22 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I had to replace the L emblem on the tail gate over the summer. It was blackening on the bottom under the clear cover. Definitely doesn't qualify as a problem in my book. Everything else is solid.
Old 01-13-11, 12:06 PM
wa3cuj
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
I had to replace the L emblem on the tail gate over the summer. It was blackening on the bottom under the clear cover. Definitely doesn't qualify as a problem in my book. Everything else is solid.
That is the only "non-problem" I had with my 450h in the first year of ownership. It has been a rock solid vehicle for me.
Old 01-13-11, 12:07 PM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A problem showed up today. I went to the local store and when I came out, there were two black lexus on the parking lot side by side. Both were 2010 model, both dark and both shiny. I hesitated for a sec and I heard somebody bellows a laugh. "Can't figure which is yours?", the delivery guy hollered. One of the lexus was parked at the handicap space so I am sure that is not mine.

Other then that, I don't have any problem.
Old 01-13-11, 01:14 PM
calgold06
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LeoDLion
A problem showed up today. I went to the local store and when I came out, there were two black lexus on the parking lot side by side. Both were 2010 model, both dark and both shiny. I hesitated for a sec and I heard somebody bellows a laugh. "Can't figure which is yours?", the delivery guy hollered. One of the lexus was parked at the handicap space so I am sure that is not mine.

Other then that, I don't have any problem.
Same thing happened to me at Costco last week. My story goes bit further.

2 black RX next to each other. I tried to open the hatch on one by pushing the lever...didn't open. I thought the sensor couldn't read my remote...took the remote out and pressed the hatch button. Suddenly the hatch pops open on the other RX (mine) Ordered custom plates this week, hoping to avoid similar incidents...

To answer OP's question: Steering vibration ("shimmy") at highway speeds...dealer replaced 2 tires free of charge. No other issues.
Old 01-13-11, 01:17 PM
tacomaboy
Driver School Candidate

I have had some problems...

-ipod scrolling is STILL an issue, my dealer is unable to fix. Others say they have had it fixed, and I think on the '11 models its a non issue.

-voice control is very poor. Does not recognize well at all.

-AC controls change randomly. I was able to repeat it at will. Not sure whats going on here.

Now those I would qualify as problems, and not too severe, but annoying on a $50k car.

There are a lot of design decisions that were made as far as the remote touch and ergonomics go that really tick me off.

-Remote Touch hardware is nice, but the UI is slow, and awkward.

-Can't turn Dual off without going into the menu system!

-Sun roof buttons are... dumb. If I have the roof popped up and want to slide it back, I have to pop it down first, then slide it back with another button. Not a huge deal, but I had a $13k Civic when I was younger that got this right!

-Garage door buttons and map light buttons are not illuminated and can be hard to find.

-The forward/back buttons on the steering wheel are reversed from those on the dash.

-The center console storage space is a giant black hole.

There are plenty of things I still like about the car though - ride, materials, but we wish we had not traded in our Murano, the Lexus quality is honestly not really that much better to have to put up with these little quirks.

Oh well, live and learn. Funny thing is I really never had issues with my 06 IS250, but then again it did not have NAV.
Old 01-13-11, 02:06 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

shikbas - did you see the other side of the coin discussion?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...w-2010-rx.html

I like to complain about voice control and the factory remote start. Remote is kind of a stretch of the definition of remote. I wish the car didn't stop when opening the door after remote starting.

The nav and phone lockout while rolling is a pain, but eDestination and Destination Assistance compensate a bit for nav lockout. I still can't call into a voice mail system while rolling.
Old 01-13-11, 02:57 PM
Mdkellys
Pole Position

We bought our RX Nov of 2009 and have not had any problems besides the ipod scrolling issue. I don't like the middle console design and I think the back seat should have a standard power oulet. However, I absolutely love driving the RX on trips and I think the mouse controller is excellent. The car is comfortable, quiet and a relaxing place to be!
Old 01-13-11, 04:16 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I think we need to step back and define the difference between "problems" and "design flaws"

I see problems as actual failures in the operation of some kind. As in, the bumper clips on early RXs failed to keep the bumper tightly assembled. Or perhaps some sort of mechanical failure. To be fair, I dont see the torneau (will I ever be able to spell that?) cover is a failure, since it is doing its job as shielding your stuff. The rattling noise is a design flaw, and unfortunate outcome of bad design - see below for definition.

Design flaw- Mechanically, the object is functioning correctly, but may produce annoyances that may frustrate the driver. iPod scrolling is a design flaw, not a failure since the ipod menu does what it is supposed to do.
Old 01-13-11, 04:56 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

^ I agree. I've had every gen RX in the first year of production. I did not experience anything that I would consider a serious problem (i.e. something that could not be easily repaired). My 450h hasn't disappointed. There are some areas of improvement that RXSF noted but nothing that inhibits me from driving and enjoying mine.

Quick Reply: List your problems with the new RX please