RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

gps vs no gps

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-10, 05:20 AM
slimjimtel
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

The Lexus nav STINKS! I bought a pro clip and use my garmin. It's more reliable and more intuitive.

The Lexus NAV was a waste of money, but hey, I got a great backup camera screen.
Old 11-05-10, 11:54 AM
lexdex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look I'm not knocking NAV if you feel you must have it.

My argument is people need to understand the alternatives that exist now and are coming down the pike. Why spend $2K or more on NAV and updates, when I can get all the NAV i need on a PORTABLE device i.e. I just grab it, and take it with me. And it costs me a few hundred dollars with free updates. AND it has so many other applications - and applications will continually get richer. NAV itself will continually get richer, and because it's browser based it'll intregrate with so many other functions. In other words if you buy a car mfrs in-board NAV, you're spending $2K to buy a proprietary, closed, single function computer with little in the way of 3rd party application development.

Go look at Garmin and TomToms stock prices histories - it's been years since they've had their highs. There's a reason: Competition is pounding on their doors. And the thing is, Garmin and TomTom have better NAV then the clunky lexus interface (or most cars for that matter).

There outcome of this is that RIM, Apple, and Android based phones/pads will inevitably either displace current NAVs or integrate with them - and if they integrate it won't be on any current in-board NAV or likely any we'll see over the next year or two - it'll be on next-generation in-board NAVs if anything.

So if you need dash-mounted OEM NAV now, if you really need it, or you simply don't care about the $2K, then get it. If you view it as a nice to have, but not need to have, remember their are lots of NAV alternatives already in the market and coming along soon.
Old 11-05-10, 12:05 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Im not going to refute any of the above, but the above points do bring up a few things, IMO.

Yes, a portable nav can be seen as a good thing, as in you can bring it to any car you want, but then again, others (like myself) see it as clunky and an eyesore to have something sticking on your dash or windshield. Plus, there is the constant removing and stowing away because of fear that somebody is going to jack your portable nav.

I really dont see any issues with the Lexus nav besides maybe the nav lockout, but it has never led me to a wrong destination. And this leads us to the benefits of a Lexus Nav.

1) more customization options for vehicle settings
2) vehicle settings all bundled up into one interface (audio, climate, ipod)
3) fuel consumption gauges and graphs
4) larger screen and probably better resolution
5) I would bet better voice commands (do non navi RX get voice commands for audio and climate?)
6) desirability of a well equipped lexus vehicle
7) better interior design with nav
8) integration of intuitive parking assist and backup camera
9) phonebook access/contacts at your fingertips

now as for the ipad/iphone integration, its all fun and nice to see that technology, but honestly, who is going to stick an ipad on their windshield? again back to the portable nav downsides. I for one, would prefer to leave my cell phone in my pocket then to have to take it in and out.
Old 11-05-10, 12:11 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Im not going to refute any of the above, but the above points do bring up a few things, IMO.

Yes, a portable nav can be seen as a good thing, as in you can bring it to any car you want, but then again, others (like myself) see it as clunky and an eyesore to have something sticking on your dash or windshield. Plus, there is the constant removing and stowing away because of fear that somebody is going to jack your portable nav.

I really dont see any issues with the Lexus nav besides maybe the nav lockout, but it has never led me to a wrong destination. And this leads us to the benefits of a Lexus Nav.

1) more customization options for vehicle settings
2) vehicle settings all bundled up into one interface (audio, climate, ipod)
3) fuel consumption gauges and graphs
4) larger screen and probably better resolution
5) I would bet better voice commands (do non navi RX get voice commands for audio and climate?)
6) desirability of a well equipped lexus vehicle
7) better interior design with nav
8) integration of intuitive parking assist and backup camera
9) phonebook access/contacts at your fingertips

now as for the ipad/iphone integration, its all fun and nice to see that technology, but honestly, who is going to stick an ipad on their windshield? again back to the portable nav downsides. I for one, would prefer to leave my cell phone in my pocket then to have to take it in and out.
Great post!
Old 11-05-10, 12:43 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree completely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-05-10, 01:26 PM
thedba
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lexdex
Look I'm not knocking NAV if you feel you must have it.

My argument is people need to understand the alternatives that exist now and are coming down the pike. Why spend $2K or more on NAV and updates, when I can get all the NAV i need on a PORTABLE device i.e. I just grab it, and take it with me. And it costs me a few hundred dollars with free updates. AND it has so many other applications - and applications will continually get richer. NAV itself will continually get richer, and because it's browser based it'll intregrate with so many other functions. In other words if you buy a car mfrs in-board NAV, you're spending $2K to buy a proprietary, closed, single function computer with little in the way of 3rd party application development.

Go look at Garmin and TomToms stock prices histories - it's been years since they've had their highs. There's a reason: Competition is pounding on their doors. And the thing is, Garmin and TomTom have better NAV then the clunky lexus interface (or most cars for that matter).

There outcome of this is that RIM, Apple, and Android based phones/pads will inevitably either displace current NAVs or integrate with them - and if they integrate it won't be on any current in-board NAV or likely any we'll see over the next year or two - it'll be on next-generation in-board NAVs if anything.

So if you need dash-mounted OEM NAV now, if you really need it, or you simply don't care about the $2K, then get it. If you view it as a nice to have, but not need to have, remember their are lots of NAV alternatives already in the market and coming along soon.
Good post..
I bought one without navi. I have three cars and two are equipped with navigation (TL and Toyota Sequoia). I do not see the need for a navigation in dash and updates are expensive. We hardly use our navi (maybe once a month) and it does come with all the latest technology but seriously do we use all? For instance voice command, I found myself hardly ever using it with the navigation. To me it's quicker pushing a button to change your radio, A/C, etc... I do not think the RX navigation is easy to use during our test drives due the new mouse system. It's a little troublesome moving the cursor while driving. I asked my wife and teenage drivers if they want navigation when I purchased the RX for my wife and they all said NO. How many times do you actually use the navigation other than the fact it makes the interior look a little better and have a good backup camera? Our RX come equipped with backup camera on the rear view mirror. I leave a portable navigation in the RX for my wife. Anytime that she think she will need it, she just plug it and use it. The portable navigation can be mounted on the dash in front of the information screen and she can see/use it fine. No need to mount it on the windshield. I do agree resale value is better with navigation if you're planning on selling your car in the near future. We drive our cars until it falls apart before selling it.