ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-3rd-gen-2010-2015-212/)
-   -   gps vs no gps (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-3rd-gen-2010-2015/533959-gps-vs-no-gps.html)

ziggyziggy 11-01-10 12:06 PM

gps vs no gps

I am wondering if the $3000 GPS option is worth it. What can you do with the GPS that you cannot without the GPS besides the obvious. I have an Android phone and there is no way any car GPS can beat Google maps and navigation and i hardly even use that on my phone. i dont care about voice activation but i would like to be able to pair my phone with the car so i can chat with people by speaking into the air and hear then thru the stereo speakers. can i be happy without the GPS? also how cheap does the display look without the GPS? thanks.

tkman00 11-01-10 12:17 PM

i was in the same boat as you. and seeing as how you are in the same area, you have to have navigation in order to get the comfort package. i wanted the comfort package for the HID. since i was shopping only 2010s, it was hard to find one w/ just premium and HID. if you don't have navigation, you lose out on the mouse control and backup camera on the display. bluetooth is standard on the RX, so it will still pair with your phone.

the navigation/comfort packages added about $40 onto my lease. for the difference i didn't mind that much and went with it.

ziggyziggy 11-01-10 12:21 PM

i see some with comfort and premium with HIDs and 19" rims. All the bread and butter stuff except for the GPS and its a good thing because it saves me $3000. How does the screen look like without GPS?

ziggyziggy 11-01-10 12:21 PM

BTW< i am not too crazy about the mouse thingie. The thing i will miss most is prolly the backup image on the big LCD screen. I know that w/o GPS, the backup image is on the rearview mirror LOL.

tkman00 11-01-10 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by ziggyziggy (Post 5904153)
i see some with comfort and premium with HIDs and 19" rims. All the bread and butter stuff except for the GPS and its a good thing because it saves me $3000. How does the screen look like without GPS?

that's surprising because all the dealers that i've contacted (MD thru NJ)told me that they aren't built like that. Almost all of them have Premiums, but the only way to get the HIDs was via NAV/Comfort. I have no clue how the screen looks w/o NAV.

ziggyziggy 11-01-10 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by tkman00 (Post 5904170)
that's surprising because all the dealers that i've contacted (MD thru NJ)told me that they aren't built like that. Almost all of them have Premiums, but the only way to get the HIDs was via NAV/Comfort. I have no clue how the screen looks w/o NAV.

haha are we talking about 2010 or 2011. i was referring to 2010.

yahj 11-01-10 12:32 PM

the screen w/o the nav is pretty basic, tells you what you need to know, just the way I like it keeps me more focus on the road

Joeb427 11-01-10 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by tkman00 (Post 5904170)

Yep,and can't get comfort without the NAV pkg in the NE region.
Seems a work up on the Lexus site has the same thing for '11.
The NAV pkg is $2465.Full screen rear camera is nice.Looks great on the dash but the lockout feature does hurt a bit.Is it worth it?I'm glad I went for it.

tkman00 11-01-10 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by ziggyziggy (Post 5904175)
haha are we talking about 2010 or 2011. i was referring to 2010.

so was i. if you can really get it, then go for it. truth be told, i'm actually kinda glad i went for the nav option. this car is a beast and the camera definitely helps w/ parallel parking.

flystone 11-01-10 12:39 PM

I was in the same boat..and ended up spending about $3,800 more (not including tax) for the AWD w/ GPS..
Here is how I break down of the extra $3,800..

$1,000 goes to 19" wheel, park assistant & 12 speakers system (I like all these options)
For another $1,000 I got the bi-xenon smart headlight system (the real cost is like $1,580 but deduct the $580 I would have spend on heat/cool seats, the net price gain is only about $1k)
That leaves $1,800 for the Navigation which I don't really like..IMO, the system is too plain, I want features such as 3d view, ability to choose avoidance, fast or fuel economy route just to name a few..not to mention the brain fart decision to take off the a/c on or off & single or dual zone buttons from the climate control console..
The only thing I like about the navigation system is the big screen backup camera..
also, the ability to watch ipod video w/ the aftermarket upgrade kit..

hindsight is 20 20, but if I were to choose again, I probably will go w/ the non-navi version...

Cruiter 11-01-10 01:24 PM

No one yet has hit on all the NAV features

1st of all, know that the vast majority built and sold will have the Navigation system so know that will affect not only your resale price the what folks buying a used one will be looking for (desirability of your car used).

As some have mentioned, it has a nice back up screen. It is more full featured in that it shows a comprehensive breakdown of fuel economy over time (if you have the hybrid, I do), it gives you the option of traffic alerts and offers options if the road ahead is jammed, some don't care for it, but you can have the weather option (I have the traffic and weather and Sat radio lifetime ), you have more options to program various features of your car, and one of the biggest features is if you connect your ipod/iphone through the USB port, you can program your music with the controller/mouse. I use it a lot and now that I'm used to it, I know I'll always have it or something compatible. Your hand can rest in a natural position and with just a glance at the screen, you can change albums, song list's, etc. You'll have several tabs to choose from between AM/FM, CD, SAT, USB, BT, and AUX. It's really comprehensive and takes time to learn but once you do, you won't go back (probably).

Just saying ... The car is a step in cost for some, but if the NAV system is viewed as taking the cost over the top then are you maxing it just thinking of the RX? In my opinion (we all have one), it should be standard equipment.

Oh, and I have learned the secrets to getting the voice command to respond as it should. It's really nifty when you get that sorted out.

tkman00 11-01-10 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Cruiter (Post 5904321)
Oh, and I have learned the secrets to getting the voice command to respond as it should. It's really nifty when you get that sorted out.

elaborate please

flystone 11-01-10 01:39 PM

maybe he speaks english w/ japanese accent? lol

kitlz 11-01-10 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by tkman00 (Post 5904338)
elaborate please

Lexus recommends sitting in the car for a half hour to get the gist of the system. There is a tutorial you can go through. I don't bother because the Nav Lady hates women. No wonder Jim gets his to work perfectly. It's his southern charm :D

yahj 11-01-10 01:55 PM

"pardon'" lol