RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

gps vs no gps

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-10, 09:13 AM
Fogcutter
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One other point -- maybe someone could speak to this. A buddy of mine runs a car dealership and we went to an auction to round out his used inventory. What the buyers flagged the most were midsized SUVs with 1)30K miles or less 2)Leather 3)NAV. Units without NAV where bringing about $1K less consistently.

Buying an option for resale is always dicey, but it seems to me if a particular model runs 90% with say NAV, at resale time units without would be the poor cousins at the reunion.

Maybe I'm rationalizing.
Old 11-04-10, 09:16 AM
Fogcutter
Driver

Originally Posted by tkman00
i think the only thing that will bother me about the built in nav will be the price of the updates. i do however recall seeing one seller on ebay that sold updates for 80ish or so. on a lease i don't really care, but if i owned i suppose i would have some reservations about it.
Good point, seems like they tip the saki when setting those prices. Still, better than Mercedes.
Old 11-04-10, 09:30 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

unless you still live in a new area with lots of development (not likely in this economy ), then you probably wont need to update your nav that often if at all. I have not done so on my RX and its 7 years old. I guess its because I dont really use the POIs, but addresses and streets dont really appear or disappear on a daily bases.

that said, if you update it every 5 years or so, what is it, $200? isnt so bad.
Old 11-04-10, 11:16 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 162 Likes on 137 Posts

RXSF, same here. No updates on the 330 in 6+ years. Initial updates were around $300. They've come down a bit since then so paying $200 over the course of a few years is nothing.

Something else to add to the list, Safety Connect and Enform, and whether to renew or not after the one year trial period. It costs $260 a year for both, about $100 less for just Safety Connect. Now Lexus introduced an app for Enform. I'll have to check it out and see how it works.

Last edited by kitlz; 11-04-10 at 11:19 AM.
Old 11-04-10, 11:30 AM
tkman00
Driver

Originally Posted by RXSF
unless you still live in a new area with lots of development (not likely in this economy ), then you probably wont need to update your nav that often if at all. I have not done so on my RX and its 7 years old. I guess its because I dont really use the POIs, but addresses and streets dont really appear or disappear on a daily bases.

that said, if you update it every 5 years or so, what is it, $200? isnt so bad.
i think there's more situations where you would need updated info. for instance, in nj, i know of a few highway intersections where there was major work done. for a person who isn't familiar w/ the area, that one intersection could mean looping around for 15 minutes because the nav thought you were on a service road as opposed to the highway.
Old 11-04-10, 11:40 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by tkman00
i think there's more situations where you would need updated info. for instance, in nj, i know of a few highway intersections where there was major work done. for a person who isn't familiar w/ the area, that one intersection could mean looping around for 15 minutes because the nav thought you were on a service road as opposed to the highway.
tk, the updates won't do any good because they're already a year behind. That's why I tend to keep nav on even if I know where I'm going. Sure, I might make a wrong turn because streets are close together but it always reroutes.
Old 11-04-10, 11:50 AM
Fogcutter
Driver

$200 -- not bad. I presumed it was more. MB used to be $600, and the system was crap.
An update for a Garmin is $80, but a new Garmin is $100 or so.

$200 I can deal with.

Thanks.
Old 11-04-10, 12:34 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
RXSF, same here. No updates on the 330 in 6+ years. Initial updates were around $300. They've come down a bit since then so paying $200 over the course of a few years is nothing.

Something else to add to the list, Safety Connect and Enform, and whether to renew or not after the one year trial period. It costs $260 a year for both, about $100 less for just Safety Connect. Now Lexus introduced an app for Enform. I'll have to check it out and see how it works.
i already have the enform app on my iphone and i dont even have the car yet
Old 11-04-10, 01:37 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Before getting updates check online at Lexus drivers site because they describe the update changes by state. Also the service advisor can also tell you. Now that they are on the HD instead of a dvd maybe it'll be cheaper??? I needed to go to 2 places that weren't on my 2010. I was able to add them in online and they uploaded to my car. The directions worked out perfectly.
Old 11-04-10, 01:55 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by RXSF
i already have the enform app on my iphone and i dont even have the car yet
Too funny! I'll download it tonight to my iPhone and see how well it works. I haven't called Lexus to ask them to find/download a location yet but I definitely will before the trial period ends. The renewal notice came in the mail already. Ah, the toys we have What will they think of next?
Old 11-04-10, 05:18 PM
lexdex
Driver School Candidate

My $.02:

I did not get NAV on my 2010, and thought long & hard about it. Here's why:

*additional 3K for the upgrade in package

*I have backup camera in mirror - that's fine, because I only use it to see how close I am to an object. I simply must turn my head & use mirrors when backing up, and I believe it's unsafe to do so - so I get what I need.

*Nav system is not portable.

*I believe there's a good chance current NAV systems will be obsolete in a few years. I have an iphone and an ipad - I get lots of of NAV capabilities with these devices and wer'e still in early days of what these devices will be all about. Guaranteed step X step is coming. Apple and RIM, and Android based phones are going to be gunning for Garmin and TomTom, mark my words.

*so with iphone, ipad and NAV it seemed like costly duplication.

*I'm probably different than lots of people in that most of my driving is city driving and very seldom do I need to consult a map or current traffic conditions - so I can see the argument for some users, but it just doesn't apply to me and others with driving habits similar to mine.

*re argument on resale value: it's a moot point - I won't be able to get as much without NAV, but I also paid less. There's the time value of money in my hand and they'll depreciate at the same rate. I guarantee there'll be a market for non-NAV in a few years - because buyers know they have lots of options and will have even more in a few years.

So again, thought long & hard, but couldn't justify cost knowing my iphone and ipad give me what I need.
Old 11-04-10, 06:27 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Looks like this is how you update the hard drive NAV system.
Dealership installation only.
Club Lexus Price: $196.42

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2010-2050.html

Old 11-04-10, 08:58 PM
oscqc
Rookie

Default Lexus Nav

I have a 2010 RX 450h with all the bells and whistles they sell in Canada, except the towing package, which I would never use. I think that the Nav package is not worth the powder to blow it to hell, but I had to get it because they only sell things in packages to we Canadians and I wanted some other goodies such a the great HUD. It has led me astray on numerous occasions and I simply do not trust it. I had a Nav unit on each of my last 4 Audis and the Audi version is far superior. I agree that the large Nav screen is great for the back up camera. To be fair, I have never used the Lexus Nav in the US, where it is likely more accurate.
Old 11-04-10, 11:29 PM
flystone
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmm..usb drive update...anyone know if the usb drive can be used more than once or will it somehow be locked after initial use??

as far as navi is concern...the main reason I get it is b/c the large backup camera screen and ability to play ipod video on large screen..w/ aftermarket kit..
Old 11-05-10, 04:31 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by flystone
hmm..usb drive update...anyone know if the usb drive can be used more than once or will it somehow be locked after initial use??

as far as navi is concern...the main reason I get it is b/c the large backup camera screen and ability to play
ipod video on large screen..w/ aftermarket kit..
"2010CY Lexus Hard Drive Navigation Update - Dealership installation only - Designed as a one-time use only."

Quick Reply: gps vs no gps