RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

How to Change Miles to KM in Multi-Info Display ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-10, 01:17 AM
oris98
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to Change Miles to KM in Multi-Info Display ?

Hi all,

Does any body know how to change the MPG to KM/Liter in the multi-information Display ? I tried the reconfigure this setting from miles to KMs and I cannot find in any place (neither Multi-Info. display and the remote touch). In fact, there is one setting in the remote touch to change unit measurement from Miles to KM and save (which is what I did) but all the readings related to MPG in the multi-info. display are still showing MPG instead of KM per liter.
Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance..
Old 10-25-10, 02:15 AM
oris98
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Can anyone help ? Thanks.
Old 10-25-10, 02:44 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

You are going to have to call the 800 number for Lexus USA ,but do not think you are going to be able to change that for a car made for the USA. The dealer might be able to change it for you but I do not see this on the list for personalized settings that you or the dealer can set for you. Also I do not remember see it in the books but it might be there
Old 10-25-10, 03:14 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I only know how to change HUD over to KM. Sorry
Old 10-25-10, 04:07 PM
gladiator9
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oris98
Hi all,

Does any body know how to change the MPG to KM/Liter in the multi-information Display ? I tried the reconfigure this setting from miles to KMs and I cannot find in any place (neither Multi-Info. display and the remote touch). In fact, there is one setting in the remote touch to change unit measurement from Miles to KM and save (which is what I did) but all the readings related to MPG in the multi-info. display are still showing MPG instead of KM per liter.
Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance..
I have tried to change it over however it will only let you show miles. Even though our RX was built in Ontario Canada, it was built for the US market.
It should be an option as many of the US cars are imported into Canada.
Cheers,
JB
Old 10-27-10, 02:40 PM
lexdex
Driver School Candidate

You can't do it yourself. I checked on this with Lexus in US and Canada when I looked at buying a 2010 RX in the US to drive in Ontario. The vehicle is made in Ontario, but has slightly different specs for US market. I understand it can be done, but will cost like $400 dollars at the dealer - so little point. I'm told that it's a simple button in other comparable vehicles, e.g. the MDX.

There's a fair amount of vehicle arbitrage in Canada now - vehicles are much cheaper in US, independent of taxes, even though most RXs in US market are made in Canada. With currency hovering near parity in recent years, lots of buyers are in Canada are purchasing vehicles (and jeans, and etc, etc) from US market. My guess is that things like an expensive switch from miles to KMs is simply Toyota trying to protect price spreads between respective markets.
Old 10-27-10, 10:29 PM
oris98
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the comments guys ! I am exporting a 2010 RX350 to canada and certainly this is a major benefit for the price factor. $400 to change from Miles to KM is rather deep.

Thanks again.
Old 10-28-10, 06:42 AM
lexdex
Driver School Candidate

BTW, I should note: I bought a 2010 in the US and here's what to look for:

1. Speedometer: MPH outside ring, kmph/inside ring (opposite of canada);

2. odometer: miles. Canadian Lexus dealers simply mark the number they read off the odomoter on any service, i.e. they don't convert. If you sell the car, the initial registration will say it's a US vehicle + you're legally obligated not to lie, so a prospective buyer would know the odometer reading is miles and the readings from any service is in miles.

3. Trip mileage calcs: KMs. Don't know why, but it is. I don't know if this is true with every vehicle.

4. The vehicle needs to be "Canadianized" - mainly the running lights need to operate full time and it needs to pass environmental standards (which it already does if it's a reasonably new vehicle). An inspection needs to be done to certify this and sticker attached to car - mine was done at Canadian Tire.

5. The warranty is held with Lexus US and can't be switched. The warranty is good for anywhere in US and Can.

6. The feature packages are slightly different in US and Can so comparing vehicle pricing is not exactly apples/apples.

7. The owner can't register the vehicle with the Lexus Canada, I forget what they call it, but the mylexus equivalent. It's done by VIN number and the CDN dbase won't accept US VIN numbers.
Old 10-28-10, 07:40 PM
oris98
Driver School Candidate

I took mine to Canadian Tire for Provincial Inspection as part of the importing process and it turns out that the day time running light has a switch to turn it on and off in the 2010 RX350. It cost me additional $250 for putting in an extra module to bypassing the switch to ensure the day time running lights are always on when the vehicle starts in order to pass the inspection.
Ouch !
Old 10-29-10, 04:57 AM
pasi
Driver School Candidate

You can change MPGs to l/100km OR km/l with the buttons in your steering wheel. I did it when I got mine 6 months ago.
Old 10-29-10, 06:43 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

1. Depress the M.I.D. button for two seconds until the menu appears.

2. Scroll down once using the Enter button to "UNITS".

3. Select your desired readout, and press Enter.
Attached Thumbnails How to Change Miles to KM in Multi-Info Display ?-sam_0812.jpg   How to Change Miles to KM in Multi-Info Display ?-sam_0814.jpg   How to Change Miles to KM in Multi-Info Display ?-sam_0816.jpg   How to Change Miles to KM in Multi-Info Display ?-sam_0817.jpg  
Old 10-31-10, 07:09 AM
lexdex
Driver School Candidate

Ah yes, Johnny's right - THAT'S why mine says KMs - I forgot I did this on the first day I got it. The odometer definately CANNOT be switched except by dealer.

Re $250, yeah it's ridiculous - in no way reflective of parts/labour involved. The Lexus and all new cars these days are made so features can be turned on/off easily so the mfrs can chase incremental pricing by offering various packages. My dealer told me Crappy Tire has the exclusive license to do certifications on imported US cars. Hence monopoly pricing, but I'm sure a good chunk goes to govt as a hidden tax grab scheme.
Old 11-02-10, 02:08 AM
oris98
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Johnny ! It works ! This is all I wanted.. Understood that we cannot change the ODM to KM. Well I am happy at least I can now see KM (L/100KM).

Thanks again everybody !
Old 11-14-10, 04:19 PM
SALTY2
Rookie

You can not do the change. Even your dealer can not do it without changing the whole display unit. As for the DRL problem the modules to bypass the switch are the same between rx 350 and RAV 4 so if you know a good mechanic he can do it for you for a fraction of price. I fixed my DRL problem by making a plastic kit and gluing in behind the ****, so the **** would not go past the Auto option, and painting the DRL off optinion with a magic marker. After I passed inspection I wiped the paint and unglued the plastic kit. Did not cost me anything. I refuse to pay anything to Canadian Lexus Dealerships or Crappy tire. They already rob Canadians enough of their hard earned money!