RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Engine running without FOB

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-10, 06:44 PM
lalin
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine running without FOB

I am totally not used to the idea of starting/stopping the engine simply by pressing a button and no key. So far I left the engine running without realizing it and walked away with the fob in my pocket twice. The second time for more than two hours!
Is there a way to program the car to shut down the engine completely if the fob is out of range?
Old 06-30-10, 08:07 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

lol! how is it possible to forget to turn off the engine? I dont think its possible
Old 06-30-10, 11:50 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

no it's impossible to set it to shut down engine when fob is out of range. you just have to get used to it.
Old 07-01-10, 12:21 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by RXSF
lol! how is it possible to forget to turn off the engine? I dont think its possible
Guilty! When I "evolved" from key to keyfob, I walked away from a running engine a few times...
Old 07-01-10, 05:32 AM
ziggy1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Make sure the seats and steering wheel move to the default positions before getting out. That's the best way to know the engine is off.
Old 07-01-10, 06:30 AM
wa3cuj
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

I stand corrected!!

I just pulled the car out of the garage and tried it. As I left the car I got two loud electronic beeps but the engine stayed running. I took the FOB into the house and came back. When I got into the car there was a big yellow warning diamond in the cluster and the center display showed a message that the key was not in the car. I put the car in gear and drove back into the garage.

I guess the people in the car wash were just reacting to the displayed warnings rather than not being able to move the vehicle.
Old 07-01-10, 12:27 PM
lalin
Rookie

Default Engine running without FOB

You would think that if the engine does not start if the FOB is out of range, hence, it would shut down when it is out of range.
Old 07-01-10, 01:31 PM
zak21
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lalin
You would think that if the engine does not start if the FOB is out of range, hence, it would shut down when it is out of range.
I'm sure its a safety thing. Just think if your fob battery died on the freeway and the car shut down, not good. Also if your fob dies and you need to start the car, say to get a new battery.

Doesn't bother me, since the three beep reminder is pretty loud.
Old 07-01-10, 06:45 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess where you parked the car might be too noise for you to hear the warning alerts. Everytime I shift to P and leave the car (e-brake is engaged, too) when the engine is idling without the fob, the warning sound will be beeping for a few seconds once the door is open/closed. Am I right?
Old 07-20-10, 08:46 AM
lxfang
Driver School Candidate

Oh boy, zak21 brought up a good point. What if I am on a long trip and fob battery dies? Although the engine still runs, how about after I visit a rest area. Sounds scary.
Old 07-20-10, 09:40 AM
zak21
Driver School Candidate

There is a procedure in the owners manual that tells you how to start the car with a dead keyfob. Something like pop the cover off the driver door handle (if locked) and insert key. Then once in the car hold fob up to start button with lexus logo facing button and then push start.

Don't quote me word for word as I don"t have the manual in front of me but yes you can still use the car until the battery is replaced.
Old 07-20-10, 09:53 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I am totally not used to the idea of starting/stopping the engine simply by pressing a button and no key. So far I left the engine running without realizing it and walked away with the fob in my pocket twice. The second time for more than two hours!
Is there a way to program the car to shut down the engine completely if the fob is out of range?

"Good Grief" said Charlie Brown
Old 07-20-10, 07:40 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

The engine is pretty dang loud when you step outside from the vehicle. Unless I were near the flightline, I'm not sure how I could miss the engine running (I do NOT have 450h). Especially now, at 115 degrees outside, the HVAC and engine fans are blasting full speed too. Also, don't you hear the beeps when you step out? I can hear the beeps over the engine noise when I step out from the car. Now if one were to have a severe hearing loss, then that might be a factor. My hearing is by no means pristine, but I can hear everything I described above easily. Is your "key out of range" warning beep kaput?
Old 07-21-10, 05:48 PM
lalin
Rookie

Originally Posted by afpj
The engine is pretty dang loud when you step outside from the vehicle. Unless I were near the flightline, I'm not sure how I could miss the engine running (I do NOT have 450h). Especially now, at 115 degrees outside, the HVAC and engine fans are blasting full speed too. Also, don't you hear the beeps when you step out? I can hear the beeps over the engine noise when I step out from the car. Now if one were to have a severe hearing loss, then that might be a factor. My hearing is by no means pristine, but I can hear everything I described above easily. Is your "key out of range" warning beep kaput?
When I parked the car, I was talking with my wife and kids, opened the door and walked out. Never heard the beeps, not only because the conversation, but also because the fob was in my pocket.
If anybody knows the procedure on how to start the engine with a dead fob battery, I would appreciate if they can post it.
Old 07-21-10, 06:04 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Battery change for the key fob is included in the service so it will probably be replaced at least once a year. I wouldn't be too concerned about it dying. I haven't looked up the steps if it does but what zak21 said sounds about right. You won't be SOL.

I haven't walked away from my RX yet while it was on. I guess I have a pretty good routine down.

Quick Reply: Engine running without FOB