RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

SMS through the HUD - Display Hacked

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-10, 06:24 PM
kooser
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow SMS through the HUD - Display Hacked

My friend who is an electronic guru has eneabled text messaging display on the NAV/DVD screen and has also enabled it within the HUD where the volume, turn by turn, and audio station displays next to the vehicle speed

This is a great feature because now I don't have to text and drive and take my eyes off the road for extended periods of time. I can text and read received texts while still watching the road.

Now to only get it to display color and a live PS3 session with the passenger

Last edited by kooser; 03-08-10 at 06:59 PM.
Old 03-08-10, 06:51 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kooser
My friend who is an electronic guru has eneabled text messaging display on the NAV/DVD screen and has also enabled it within the HUD where the volume, turn buy turn, and audio station displays next to the vehicle speed

This is a great feature because now I don't have to text and drive and take my eyes off the road for extended periods of time. I can text and read received texts while still watching the road.

I hope you rethink what you are doing which is endangering yourself and others. Anyone who has the ability to figure out how to do what you describe is too smart to be driving and texting. I thought HUD is a saftey feature.
This is the nicest way I know how to say what I think of what you are doing.
Old 03-08-10, 07:15 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face

I love this "new" feature, but dislike any car physically can display those info during driving. Some states have ticketed the drivers with reading/typing messages from the mobile devices. I think this feature should be prohibited. In order to protect yourself and others, it's better not to have this feature ON your HUD.

IMHO, we shouldn't abuse HUD and impel this great safety feature toward the dangerous side.

I love to have Internet/message/DVD on my Navi and love to have them enable during driving, so my passengers can see them anytime or I can see them when parking. But I cannot. I know I will definitely abuse them and use them when driving. I guess the best way to stop this is not to have this feature available, otherwise, ppl will play with it.

(In the past I saw the similar product in Japan that projects 10" DVD/Internet to the car windshield. Although it cannot be displayed when the car is in motion, I believe it's easy to have it overridden.)
Old 03-08-10, 08:50 PM
ICENUTZ
Rookie

I think that is awesome.. Your friend is the man for figuring that out!!! Forget all that safety, warranty blah blah blah. Can you friend do a writeup? or point in the right direction what needs to be done.. Was it very difficult? Did he do the NAV override too? It did it on my GS350 so I am sure it can be done on the RX without the $300 for a harness and switch from PS....
Old 03-08-10, 08:53 PM
wyau01
Lead Lap

I like this on the range rover.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMv9E3mN1iI
Old 03-09-10, 06:06 AM
JB330Ci
Driver School Candidate

My friend who is an electronic guru has eneabled text messaging display on the NAV/DVD screen and has also enabled it within the HUD where the volume, turn by turn, and audio station displays next to the vehicle speed

Glad to see Charles Darwin is back alive again. You see, all these car safety features defeat Darwin's theory of natural selection so a bunch of "weaker, not-so-smart" people nowadays are driving on the highways protected by these safety features. These people are not supposed to survive if there's no such safety features according to Charles Darwin. Now you have this guy to put HUD text messages on the windshield so you could send and read while driving....hmmm.....

Last edited by JB330Ci; 03-09-10 at 11:15 AM.
Old 03-09-10, 07:15 AM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Lucky you are not in Australia. The fines for texting while driving are horrendous (quite rightly) as it distracts you from what you should actually be doing - paying attention to the road.

Do everyone else a favour, leave texting to when you are not behind the wheel.

Seriously, it is stupidity like this that causes manufacturers to install "safety features" that are simply not needed if one has a modicum of intelligence.
Old 03-09-10, 07:19 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree with the thinning of the heard theory. Unfortunately when this part of the heard gets thinned they are going to take others with them.

Safety features were designed for a reason, I always thought when you were behind the wheel you were supposed to be driving.

What a concept......
Old 03-09-10, 08:31 AM
kooser
Rookie

This was an instigating fictitious thread that was intended to pique a discussion about how many morons there are out there who DO actually text while driving. I encounter this at least 5 times a day.

It is at those times that I always feel compelled to actually get their attention to tell them how f****d up they are.

I thought the statement "this is a great feature because now I can text and drive and not have to TAKE MY EYES OFF THE ROAD FOR EXTENDED PERIODS OF TIME" would have given that away.
Old 03-09-10, 11:19 AM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This was an instigating fictitious thread that was intended to pique a discussion about how many morons there are out there who DO actually text while driving. I encounter this at least 5 times a day.

It is at those times that I always feel compelled to actually get their attention to tell them how f****d up they are.

I thought the statement "this is a great feature because now I can text and drive and not have to TAKE MY EYES OFF THE ROAD FOR EXTENDED PERIODS OF TIME" would have given that away.
Do you REALLY believe most of those texting drivers would not actually feel that way? It makes me feel much better about you knowing you aren't one of those people. They will probably take me out, or a member of my family one day and they are usually the very one's who spend all their money on a car payment and cell phone bill so they are carrying the lowest amount of insurance coverage to deal with the problems they cause.
Anyone who actually did covert an HUD to a texting setup should have their car taken and given a helmet and a bike. Well, no helmet.
Old 03-09-10, 11:49 AM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Sorry mate but the rest of the world has seen too many instances of gross stupidity out of the US to not believe that someone would actually try this.

Do you guys realise that your cars have more bells, whistles and assorted warning buzzers in cars to warn the intensely stupid than any other nation on earth?

"You can't make things dummy proof as they will only build a better dummy"
Old 03-09-10, 12:08 PM
Nocaster7
Driver School Candidate

This was an instigating fictitious thread...
*cough*bulls**t*cough*
Old 03-09-10, 01:39 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by wyau01
This is quite cool. The driver sees the Navi, and the passenger sees the movies.
Old 09-28-10, 06:30 AM
SeanParker
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by wyau01
This is just simply awesome... Lexus should have come up with this feature... wow...
Old 09-28-10, 08:08 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

that split view technology can also be found on the S class Merc. Not sure who came up with it though first

Quick Reply: SMS through the HUD - Display Hacked