RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Chrome Trim

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-10, 05:47 PM
DOUS
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrome Trim

Can the Chrome trim around the window be polished? I had the RX fixed cause some dingaling hit and dented/scratched the rear passenger fender then took off.

The paint was fixed and I was happy with the work, but they had to take the small rear window off to paint the whole panel up to that strip beside the windshield. I just picked the car back up today and didn't notice it until tonight. The chrome trim around the small rear window was scratched up.

Can this be polished up or refinished? If so how do you do it? Is it similar to polishing the paint?

Thanks!
Old 02-24-10, 06:24 PM
sightdev
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DOUS
Can the Chrome trim around the window be polished? I had the RX fixed cause some dingaling hit and dented/scratched the rear passenger fender then took off.

The paint was fixed and I was happy with the work, but they had to take the small rear window off to paint the whole panel up to that strip beside the windshield. I just picked the car back up today and didn't notice it until tonight. The chrome trim around the small rear window was scratched up.

Can this be polished up or refinished? If so how do you do it? Is it similar to polishing the paint?

Thanks!
I had the left rear corner panel repaired and rear bumper replaced few weeks ago. It is back in the shop today so they can fix the “fish-eye”, missing clips, over spray, and etc. If yours doesn’t have deep scratch, they should be able to buff it shiny. Either way, body shop should fix it since they mess it up.
Old 02-24-10, 07:00 PM
DOUS
Pole Position

I'll call them tomorrow and let them know. The scratches are not that deep, but you can feel them with your fingernails when you run them through it.
Old 02-24-10, 07:10 PM
DOUS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sightdev
I had the left rear corner panel repaired and rear bumper replaced few weeks ago. It is back in the shop today so they can fix the “fish-eye”, missing clips, over spray, and etc. If yours doesn’t have deep scratch, they should be able to buff it shiny. Either way, body shop should fix it since they mess it up.
I haven't been around lately... What happened?
Old 02-25-10, 08:27 AM
sightdev
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DOUS
I haven't been around lately... What happened?
First accident claim in 29 years of driving. Teenager in his mom’s Navigator side swopped the left rear corner. Kid was “flying” through the corner and begun to skid so I tried best to move out of his path but not far enough. If I stood still where I was, whole left would have been damaged with possible air bag deployment. It really would have sucked. Repair cost anything less than $2500 is consider minor repair and doesn’t affect the resale value but mine was $3100 so I am curious as to what it will be classified when it gets official record. I was glad the other insurance was State Farm as they are the best in the industry. I grew-up around auto body shop so I am familiar with insurance processes and nobody in the industry can touch State Farm. Worst would be Nationwide and few other smaller insurers. They specifically tell the shop not to use new and original parts where replacement and repair can be made.
Old 02-25-10, 08:32 AM
DOUS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sightdev
First accident claim in 29 years of driving. Teenager in his mom’s Navigator side swopped the left rear corner. Kid was “flying” through the corner and begun to skid so I tried best to move out of his path but not far enough. If I stood still where I was, whole left would have been damaged with possible air bag deployment. It really would have sucked. Repair cost anything less than $2500 is consider minor repair and doesn’t affect the resale value but mine was $3100 so I am curious as to what it will be classified when it gets official record. I was glad the other insurance was State Farm as they are the best in the industry. I grew-up around auto body shop so I am familiar with insurance processes and nobody in the industry can touch State Farm. Worst would be Nationwide and few other smaller insurers. They specifically tell the shop not to use new and original parts where replacement and repair can be made.
Man, so sorry to hear. Seems like you got out of it unharmed, which was the most important thing.

I hear you about these dingaling drivers out there. We really need to look out for these clowns.
Old 02-25-10, 10:05 AM
rex350
Driver School Candidate

I've had some positive experience with Liberty Mutual. I can say they replace stuff rather than fix it. Plus look out for those auto body shops who fix, but charge the insurance for new parts.