RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Clearbra - self-install or professionally done?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-10, 08:25 AM
denkigroov
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clearbra - self-install or professionally done?

Was wondering if anyone performed any clearbra self installs? If so, how long does it usually take? I got quoted about $450 professionally installed (about 4hr install time). I'm thinking about ordering a self-install kit for under $200 and doing it myself? Any feedback?
Old 02-24-10, 01:44 PM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by denkigroov
Was wondering if anyone performed any clearbra self installs? If so, how long does it usually take? I got quoted about $450 professionally installed (about 4hr install time). I'm thinking about ordering a self-install kit for under $200 and doing it myself? Any feedback?
I've had it done to both of the cars I've owned. As there are some tricks you learn in doing it, hands on experience counts big time. I watched the guy do both my cars and there is no way I would ever attempt to do a self-install.
Old 02-24-10, 02:27 PM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

We had ours done by Lexus shortly after purchasing. I don't remember the exact amount but they dropped the price a bit for us. Also, I believe Lexus will cover replacement of the coating after X amount of miles/time, but I could be thinking of the tree sap protection which we passed on.
Old 02-24-10, 02:27 PM
jclem
Pole Position

What's the warranty on a self-install? I'm also willing to bet that there are a number of special tools that you'd have to buy to do the job right. Food for thought....
Old 02-24-10, 05:19 PM
wyau01
Lead Lap

Not much of a special tool, all you will need is a heat gun, or a very powerful hair dryer.
Doing it yourself takes lots of time and patients, I did it on my last car, but was so much work, I just paid the dealer this time.

Also, it will come out much better if you install at room temp.
Old 02-24-10, 06:57 PM
denkigroov
Driver School Candidate

The price includes an install kit as well (spray bottle, squeegee, step by step instruction cd, and sealant protection). I just need to get a heatgun on my side. I do alot of diy stuff and even installed window tint before so I'm hoping it should be a bit easier on my end.

If its a 2-3hr job then I think I can live with that. Time is money...
Old 02-25-10, 05:37 AM
jclem
Pole Position

The price includes an install kit as well (spray bottle, squeegee, step by step instruction cd, and sealant protection). I just need to get a heatgun on my side. I do alot of diy stuff and even installed window tint before so I'm hoping it should be a bit easier on my end.

You said in your original post "about 4hr install time" so how did it get down to 2-3hr?? Anyway, If it takes a 'pro' 3-4 hrs, how long will it take a 1st timer?
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for DIY, however, as a carpenter, I've made a very good living repairing homeowner DIY projects! Same with electricians, plumbers, etc. All I'm saying is "Know your limints" and as you said--time is money. Good luck if you do try it. I let the dealer do mine.
Old 02-25-10, 06:17 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Same here, I had the dealer do mine. It was pre-cut except for the A-pillars. The warranty is lifetime so any problems, I go back to them. I'd say it's worth it. The curved areas on the front bumper look like a PITA to do.
Old 02-25-10, 07:40 AM
tfischer

Received 203 Likes on 152 Posts

This install is far too difficult and painstaking for you to learn on the first try, not to mention all the time it will take. That's why the installers are paid for their skill. Let them put it on correctly. If something is not quite right, they will fix it for you.
Old 02-25-10, 08:02 AM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think I should point out that there are others that do the clear-bra install other then the dealer. Both of my installs were done by a guy that does local dealer installs, but also does them out of his own shop. I was able to save about two hundred dollars by going to him direct for the install. The point is if you look around you may be able to get a quality install for less by cutting out the middle-man.
Keep in mind, if you over-stretch the plastic and ruin it, what have you gained by DIY ? The video will show you how it's done, but it won't make you an experienced installer, nor will it show you all the tricks of the trade.
Old 02-25-10, 08:21 AM
tfischer

Received 203 Likes on 152 Posts

There is no substitute for experience - just ask your surgeon.
Old 02-25-10, 08:27 AM
denkigroov
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the feedback guys. I think I'll take your advice and just let a pro do it. I guess this will give me some spare time to clean out the garage...
Old 02-25-10, 11:27 AM
wyau01
Lead Lap

The hood is easy part, but for the rest of the car, all I have to say is Good Luck.
Old 03-02-10, 06:13 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 378 Posts

Thanks for the feedback guys. I think I'll take your advice and just let a pro do it. I guess this will give me some spare time to clean out the garage...
Before letting the dealer do it, check around with your more reputable window tinting people as they also install these clear bras. Mine did a LX for considerably less than the dealer offered but then you always have to think the dealers warranty would be easy to collect on in comparison
Old 03-02-10, 09:03 AM
denkigroov
Driver School Candidate

I'm going to go through the same installer my bro-in-law used for his 2010 RX and Mercedes. I think $445 is a pretty reasonable price for the install plus another $95 for front tint. I believe other tint shops were quoting me about $500 plus and they are all pretty much using the same Scotchgaurd 3M brand. Unless someone has a better deal in the Houston area?

Also I've read on other forums regarding the quality of some clearbras where the material may shrink or peel over time, has anyone experienced any issues with theirs?

The installer backs it with a warranty anyways so that's peace of mind for me...

Quick Reply: Clearbra - self-install or professionally done?