RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

What should Lexus improve on the 2010 RX?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-10, 06:20 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Mdkellys
I think the power plugs in the front console are in a lousy place and difficult to use. I also can't understand why they didn't put a power plug in the rear of the vehicle as well like most other SUVs. Anyone have kids that need to charge their handheld gaming systems on trips?
My 2010 picked up 12-29-09 has one in the back on the drivers side.
Old 01-22-10, 06:35 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Default remote start too difficult to activate

My remote start requires almost perfect timing of the "three presses", and the range is not that good.
Old 01-23-10, 07:31 PM
data2009
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 2 major gripes:

1. I cannot believe no one comments on the use of a carpet-like material used on the outside of wheel wells. That thing is a dirt magnet all year round, in fall & spring, it gets wet and leaves get stuck there, in winter, snow & ice buildup almost cause the wheels to rub against it. Not to mention, its attached by clips and can easily detach (mine did on one side in a few weeks of driving).

2. When only the moon roof is opened, there is often a weird air flow accumulation in the cabin. Its not so much the noise, but a strange vibration that almost knocks on my senses. Don't know what to make of it, other than a poor engineering. No other car or SUV I drove previously had this effect.

Other annoyance is definitely the center console's lack of power outlet on the outside. All that storage inside that could swallow a laptop is hidden under 2 layers of a petty change tosser and a f ugly box that could pass for a waste basket.

Lastly, oil change is more expensive than LS, at least based on the rate my dealer showed me.
Old 01-24-10, 07:18 AM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

How about an elongated rear view mirror to eliminate blind spot?

Last edited by LeoDLion; 01-24-10 at 07:24 AM.
Old 01-24-10, 07:21 AM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Memory setting should also readjust the left and right front mirrors.
Old 02-12-10, 01:11 PM
wyau01
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LeoDLion
Memory setting should also readjust the left and right front mirrors.
Are you kidding me? Never notice that, since I am the only driver. That sucks.
Old 02-13-10, 12:38 AM
wyau01
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by wyau01
Are you kidding me? Never notice that, since I am the only driver. That sucks.
Correction, My outside mirrors sync with my memory buttons, tried it out last night.
Old 02-23-10, 10:37 AM
skoobz2001
Driver School Candidate

1. The center console is a joke. It is dangerous to try and access while driving and the plugs for USB etc are in a horrible location.
2. The iPod interface is a huge PITA.
3. The Nav system is a joke.
4. The Mark Levinson stereo is a waste of money. It sounds NO BETTER than the standard stereo which we heard when had a loaner HS. For the kind of money they say it's worth, it really is a laugh how "unupgraded" it truly is.
5. The handsfree microphone is terrible - even after having it replaced with a new one, you still have to yell for the person on the other end to hear you.

My complaints really are all with the media/nav unit. It's amateur stuff, and 30 seconds in pretty much any other brand shows how far behind this system lags.
Old 02-23-10, 01:14 PM
Saurabh
Rookie

Well my USB port on the RX has an extension cable from factory. And if you guys want you can order them from Monoprice.com About the power ports, they also sell extension cables at places like bestbuy. I do agree te ipod interface is a PITA, however I have just stuck with playing my songs at random and have not bothered with choosing.
Old 04-04-10, 06:52 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Default Radio shut's off immediatly when I turn off the car

On the other 5 RX's I've leased the radio stayed on until I opened the drivers door. On the 2010 the radio shuts off as soon as you push the ignition off. Is there a custom setting the dealer can do to change this? As it is now you have to shift to neutral before shutting off the car to have power to the radio continue.
Old 04-05-10, 12:05 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

Better paint so it will not chip so easily, Place head-up Dispaly,Luxury Package and Towing Prep Package in the FWD cars. put a Blu-Ray player in the RSES with the Mark Levinson Needs illumination of garage door, moon roof buttons. More illumination for things at night
Old 04-05-10, 01:09 PM
YotaCarFan
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Curmudgeon
-The storage compartment in the trunk floor on either side are quite puzzling. The left hand compartment (adjacent to the vertical wall) is very shallow...an inch or 2. On the right hand side, the compartment is bigger. However, the utility of this compartment is limited by a truly oddly shaped bottom. There is at least 6 inches of depth available for these compartments.
I believe the shallow trunk storage area is for safety flares; IIRC, automakers in Japan are required to include flares and an orange safety triangle along with the spare tire.
Old 04-05-10, 01:15 PM
YotaCarFan
Pole Position

Originally Posted by germeezy1
I just had one for a loaner while my RX400h was in for service and here are the things I noticed.

1. Temp Controls not illuminated, which makes it hard to see what buttons are change temp from passenger seat and drivers seat.

3. Even with the 19 inch rims and Sport package the extra weight makes it understeer noticeably more than my RX400h and its ride is no better, the 19's don't do any favors in that regard. No better handling and a worse ride.

4. Finally a longer thigh cushion that made the seats even more comfortable
Are the temp controls on the center console really not illuminated at night? That's hard to believe.

I agree with you about the unnecessary low-profile sports tires. Lexus is putting bigger and bigger rims on their cars each year to look "sporty", and it's reducing ride quality. Bad idea.

Regarding the longer seat cushion: Did your loaner have the power extendable cushion? I see that's a special order item for the FWD RX450h, and would be interested to know if the standard seat cushion is longer than what's typically used in Lexus/Toyota products.
Old 04-07-10, 07:42 AM
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=skoobz2001;5254152]
4. The Mark Levinson stereo is a waste of money. It sounds NO BETTER than the standard stereo which we heard when had a loaner HS. For the kind of money they say it's worth, it really is a laugh how "unupgraded" it truly is.
[QUOTE]

I couldn't agree with you less. I think the ML system is outstanding, especially if you're playing DTS or DVD-A. There's simply no comparison to any of the other systems available on the RX. I'm not sure what source you were listening to that brought you to your conclusion, but if it was XM/Sirius, that may have been part of the problem. No matter what system you play sat radio through, the quality is just mediocre, at best. The proverbial 'pig in lipstick'!

The ML system was one of the key features that brought me back to Lexus after a stoopid 1 year flirtation with an Acura MDX. The ELS system on the MDX (supposedly one of the best on the market) just sucked compared to the ML system that I had on my ES350. The ML system also whipped the pants off the Bang & Olufson system I had in my Saab 9-5, and that was a pretty sweet sound. When I went shopping for an RX, the ML system was a 'must-have'. Now that I have it, my discerning ears are happy once again.
Old 04-08-10, 08:35 PM
YotaCarFan
Pole Position

Originally Posted by skoobz2001
The Mark Levinson stereo is a waste of money. It sounds NO BETTER than the standard stereo which we heard when had a loaner HS. For the kind of money they say it's worth, it really is a laugh how "unupgraded" it truly is.
5. The handsfree microphone is terrible - even after having it replaced with a new one, you still have to yell for the person on the other end to hear
For any given model of Lexus, the ML stereo is of noticeably better quality than the standard offering. You are comparing apples with oranges - the ML in an RX and the standard audio in the HS. The HS' standard audio is quite good, and is far better than the standard audio in the RX and in the ES. Try getting an RX loaner next time, and you'll hear an audio system clearly inferior to your ML.

Have the dealer turn up the mic sensitivity on your handsfree unit. It's a setting accessed via the nave system screen in a special system menu.

Quick Reply: What should Lexus improve on the 2010 RX?