RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX300 air Suspension (again)

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-22, 08:58 AM
Elskan
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RX300 air Suspension (again)

I hit a pothole with Left Rear wheel. Immediately I had a Kangaroo - it bounced violently 6 or 8 times. Then it became a Bunny Rabbit - small, frequent hops.

Techstream shows the right rear losing pressure. Pump kicks in and the air leaks again. Pump triggers the overload fault.

I understand that this is probably the air bag damaged BUT before I go buy one what else could cause one corner to drop?

Hitting the pothole was at around 10MPH so not overly violent. My question is - given that there was trauma
  • 1. Could this be caused by a faulty level sensor?
  • 2. Can a leak from an air pipe affect just one corner?
  • Can Techstream see any fault codes SPECIFIT to just the air bag OR the sensor?
Many thanks for your help.

Regards

Brian

Old 06-15-22, 01:59 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Brian,

can you post a picture of your 2004 rx300? In 2004 in the us the RX had a new model rx330/350 and want to make sure you are posting in the correct sub forum
The following users liked this post:
Margate330 (06-15-22)
Old 06-15-22, 02:48 PM
iMSQ
Instructor

Received 218 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Brian,

can you post a picture of your 2004 rx300? ...
The answer can be below
Old 06-15-22, 03:25 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally Posted by iMSQ
The answer can be below
I know he isn’t in the us and that doesn’t look like his RX to me

Maybe you know if Ireland got the 2RX with a different motor in 2004, or if they held over the prior generation an extra year. I don’t which is why I asked for a picture
Old 06-15-22, 09:59 PM
iMSQ
Instructor

Received 218 Likes on 186 Posts

I know he isn’t in the us and that doesn’t look like his RX to me

Maybe you know if Ireland got the 2RX with a different motor in 2004, or if they held over the prior generation an extra year. I don’t which is why I asked for a picture
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexus_...on_(XU30;_2003)

DaveGS4 (06-16-22)
Old 06-16-22, 02:54 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 864 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by Elskan
I hit a pothole with Left Rear wheel. Immediately I had a Kangaroo - it bounced violently 6 or 8 times. Then it became a Bunny Rabbit - small, frequent hops.
Hi Elskan, as already mentioned, please drop a pic of your car so we can see what you're working with.
Hint- for your success, recommend following up with members promptly when they post or members will stop trying to help, that's been my experience one here anyway.
Old 06-16-22, 10:10 AM
Elskan
Driver School Candidate

Default Images of the car.

Brian,

can you post a picture of your 2004 rx300? In 2004 in the us the RX had a new model rx330/350 and want to make sure you are posting in the correct sub forum
Thanks for your reply, Dave and Margate. Below are the images of the car.

The VIN is JTJHF31U400034296

A few weeks ago the car would start like a jumping rabbit but it cleared when I switched off the ignition and re-started the engine.

Thanks, Guys

Regards

Brian

The following 2 users liked this post by Elskan:
DaveGS4 (06-16-22), Margate330 (06-16-22)
Old 06-16-22, 10:33 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for your reply, Dave and Margate. Below are the images of the car.

The VIN is JTJHF31U400034296
A few weeks ago the car would start like a jumping rabbit but it cleared when I switched off the ignition and re-started the engine.
Thanks, Guys
Regards
Brian

Interesting. It looks like the RX330 sold here in the US but according to IMSQ's info above it has the 3.0L.

Do I understand you correctly the problem has cleared itself?
There are a couple of clues or concerns and not sure which yet.

You said above the pump trips an overload fault and also that it was jumping like a Kangaroo.
Just a theory at this point but I always like to do a physical inspection first for damage to plugs, connectors and hardware because this sounds like the pump was running non-stop and inflating the bags to max however you are jumping. Need to go in deeper if this is still true.

With your pics I would use the RX330(US) airbag info for further troubleshooting and hope that get's us close.

If problem has not cleared itself, plz let us know what it's doing now- maybe start from scratch and let us know what it s doing properly and what is not working properly.

Add- with your update we can go in deeper.

Last edited by Margate330; 06-16-22 at 03:12 PM.
Old 06-17-22, 07:48 AM
Elskan
Driver School Candidate

Hi Margate - thanks.

The problem has not been resolved.
1. I hit a pothole
  • 2. The car jumped like a Kangaroo
  • 3. It continued to jump like a rabbit
  • 4 Switch ignition off then on worked 30 minutes with rough suspension
  • 5. Used Techstream.
    • Showed Rear Right corner going down
    • Pump kicked in and corner leveled
    • Pump stopped and corner deflated
    • REPEAT
NOW - pump still works but overload cuts out.
  • Techstream RESET
  • Switches to High, Normal and low BUT
  • Returns to bunny hops and engages ONLY Normal and high settings
  • That's where we are.
SO my initial question :-
  • Can a faulty level sensor cause just one side to deflate?
  • Can we identify specific pipeline connectors to this corner which can cause this problem.
  • Given that the "trauma" occurred to the LEFT rear can a problem on the left affect the right??
  • Are there any SPECIFIC Techstream errors showing position of an air leak
  • Are there any Specific Techstream codes showing faulty sensor?
Thanks so much, Guys

Brian

Last edited by Elskan; 06-17-22 at 07:50 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 06-17-22, 07:55 AM
Elskan
Driver School Candidate

The engine is indeed a 3L petrol. It quaffs petrol ⛽ gas like an inebriated alcoholic gulps his last demijohn of moonshine. Same MPG as my V8 Range rover (18MPG) and that is UK MPG!

Old 06-17-22, 07:58 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

not knowing how the OEM RX air suspension looks or is exposed, I’ll suggest this…. Can you troubleshoot to find out if there is a leak using soapy water or windex? Find out if you do have a leak and where?
Old 06-17-22, 08:44 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

The engine is indeed a 3L petrol. It quaffs petrol ⛽ gas like an inebriated alcoholic gulps his last demijohn of moonshine. Same MPG as my V8 Range rover (18MPG) and that is UK MPG!
Haha don't feel bad, in metro driving my RX330 with 3.3L when going traffic light to traffic light- I get approx 12mpg with AC running and 14.5mpg with no AC.

Can you troubleshoot to find out if there is a leak using soapy water or windex? Find out if you do have a leak and where?
For sure, that's what would do after a complete physical inspection check for leaks like DaveGS4 suggests.

Your thread title is good and searchable by future members looking for help on air suspension so hopefully you will get plenty of ideas.
Also, there are other threads where we have dropped some technical info on the air bags but I have to find them unless someone wants to posts links.

When I have time tonight I will drop some tech info that may further assist in trouble shooting and as I'm looking at this I really don;t know which came first- "the chicken or the egg"- a US expression. lol

But the pump overcurrent fault is either the cause or effect in my opinion- could be something else so interested in what others come up with too.
Old 06-17-22, 12:04 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

I suspect it’s the effect brought on by the pump constantly running to fill a system with a leak in it.
Old 06-17-22, 09:51 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Here is some info laying out the Air Suspension for our cars- helpful to check for leaks as DaveGS4 mentions above.
Also, we need links, I know we've dropped data on this already in other threads- where's IMSQ he always has the links. lol

PS- For anyone following this thread in the future, this air suspension has many components and is more complex than it looks. I do machine diagnostics for my job and rule of thumb is always do a visual inspection first looking for red flags, damage, and signs that things don't look right. Then proceed to the next step, which in this case is leak tests according to the oem manual.

* posted in fair use for commentary and discussion

Last edited by Margate330; 06-17-22 at 10:10 PM.
Elskan (06-18-22)
Old 06-18-22, 01:56 AM
Elskan
Driver School Candidate

I suspect it’s the effect brought on by the pump constantly running to fill a system with a leak in it.
Yes I believe this is correct.

Using Techstream I can see the Right Rear dropping in height THEN the pump kicks in
Height is seen to level out correctly
Wait 5 mins
Cycle repeats

I understand from the lack of comments that
  1. Techstream cannot identify a faulty height sensor with an error code;
  2. Techstream cannot identify if there is a leak in the pipe or bag - just that the bag is deflating
Can I ask again - CAN a faulty sensor cause the height of one corner to drop. If so which is faulty - the side that drops or the opposite?

I am amazed how rusty the car is below! I have a mercedes SLK and W124 coup; Volvo V70; TVR, Citroen Dyane (68 years old). All are around the same age as the Lexix (except Dyane) and none of them have rust anything like the Lexus.

I am dreading getting under the car, scraping off the rust, and fault tracing the lines.

When our landline was faulty the engineer could tell me that the fault was about 150 Metres from the house. Ahh if only the cars could speak with such accuracy!

We will have to wait for dry weather - forecast is not good for next few days.

Regards

Brian

Hence putting together the rust and the trauma ....... points to damaged piping.

Quick Reply: RX300 air Suspension (again)