RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

afs off light flashing

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-22, 05:21 PM
matts6887
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts
Default afs off light flashing

I recently had some front end damage due to a unfortunate accident. That included having to have both hid headlight assemblies replaced. But now I am getting the afs off light flashing. The body shop couldn’t figure it out after spending a good amount of time there etc. how do I resolve this to get the auto focus systems/auto alignment system to work properly Tia
Old 04-09-22, 07:59 AM
spinellib
Intermediate

Received 175 Likes on 136 Posts

Good to see you, again. Sorry about the crash.
I just did a quick search and it seems there are two possibilities to start with:
1. The sensor is damaged, or was disconnected/removed and needs to be re-adjusted to its proper position. It's also possible the wrong (non-AFS) headlights were installed, or aftermarket lights were installed.
2. The sensor needs to be reset. I have no idea if this will work, but I found these steps for a reset from another Lexus forum:Engine is running and shift range is in the P position.

Press the AFS OFF switch eight times at approximately one-second interval (once for ON and once more for OFF, i.e. 4 times ON and 4 times OFF).

HINT: The AFS OFF indicator light starts to blink twice per second.

Initialization can be started when the AFS OFF switch is either in the "ON" or "OFF" position.

When the AFS OFF switch is pressed eight times, it will return to its original state.

NEXT

2.INITIALIZATION OF AFS ECU

Turn the steering wheel to adjust the tires so that they point straight ahead.

Do not change the steering wheel position. Press the AFS OFF switch twice (once ON and once OFF).

HINT: The AFS OFF indicator light stays lit for two seconds.

When the AFS OFF switch is pressed twice, it will return to its original state.

Do not change the steering wheel position and press the AFS OFF switch twice within 3 to 10 seconds.

HINT: The AFS OFF indicator light stays lit for two seconds.

When the AFS OFF switch is pressed twice, it will return to its original state.

Do not change the steering wheel position and press the AFS OFF switch twice again within 3 to 10 seconds.

NEXT

3.CHECK COMPLETION OF AFS ECU INITIALIZATION

When the initialization of the steering sensor signal is completed normally, the AFS OFF indicator light goes off, comes on, or blinks depending on the specific condition 3 second after the indicator light goes off.

Result:

Proceed to

Result

A

Goes off: Initialization is started with the AFS OFF switch OFF (not pressed)

Comes on: Initialization is started with the AFS OFF switch ON (pressed)

B

Blinks: Blinks twice per second

HINT: Failure to complete initialization. Proceed to step 2 within 10 seconds.

If 10 seconds elapse, the system starts steering neutral point automatic correction.

Last edited by spinellib; 04-09-22 at 08:03 AM.
Old 04-09-22, 10:19 AM
matts6887
Racer

Where is the sensor located so when I go back to The body shop Tuesday I can tell them where to look?
Old 04-09-22, 11:17 AM
spinellib
Intermediate

Received 175 Likes on 136 Posts

Near the Right Rear wheel:

Old 04-09-22, 11:27 AM
matts6887
Racer

Originally Posted by spinellib
Near the Right Rear wheel:

https://youtu.be/SgMNhdnC_Wc?t=554
thx. I will have them look for it
Old 04-09-22, 12:54 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Are the new headlights OEM or aftermarket? Used or new?

I have this issue on a 2004 RX330, but I did it intentionally... I swapped in some 2008 "blue hybrid" headlights, which were auto level only.
So I unplugged/siliconed the original AFS connectors (they're in the middle of the headlight, between bulbs, its a fat plug).

Check for that plug under the hood, if anything isn't buttoned up... the body shop may have gotten non-AFS xenon headlights for your car and installed those (at the discretion of the insurance, they always push for cheapest replacement option, including used). At which point, you need to talk them and the insurance company will have to spring up for AFS-equipped lights. **this is just my assumption, as they're readily availble for all versions on these cars aftermarket**

The reason I'm leaning towards the lights is because it was working fine before, and you're in AZ... not in a place like Canada where the little arms on the AFS motors tend to rot and break in two (mine is held together with a stiff door spring, as welding was impossible )
Old 04-09-22, 01:57 PM
matts6887
Racer

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
Are the new headlights OEM or aftermarket? Used or new?

I have this issue on a 2004 RX330, but I did it intentionally... I swapped in some 2008 "blue hybrid" headlights, which were auto level only.
So I unplugged/siliconed the original AFS connectors (they're in the middle of the headlight, between bulbs, its a fat plug).

Check for that plug under the hood, if anything isn't buttoned up... the body shop may have gotten non-AFS xenon headlights for your car and installed those (at the discretion of the insurance, they always push for cheapest replacement option, including used). At which point, you need to talk them and the insurance company will have to spring up for AFS-equipped lights. **this is just my assumption, as they're readily availble for all versions on these cars aftermarket**

The reason I'm leaning towards the lights is because it was working fine before, and you're in AZ... not in a place like Canada where the little arms on the AFS motors tend to rot and break in two (mine is held together with a stiff door spring, as welding was impossible )
Oh I can tell they are definitely aftermarket
Old 04-09-22, 03:20 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by matts6887
Oh I can tell they are definitely aftermarket
Time to look under the hood then.

Harness not plugged in since the aftermarket lights don't have AFS? There's the cause for your AFS error light.
Old 04-10-22, 09:36 AM
matts6887
Racer

Time to look under the hood then.

Harness not plugged in since the aftermarket lights don't have AFS? There's the cause for your AFS error light.
well my bottom line is that if the headlight assemblies don’t have afs which I don’t believe that they do; the body shop owner is gonna have to spring for the correct ones or this may become a small claims court issue which I really don’t want to have to resort to as the body shop owner Has been more than helpful in helping get everything put back together etc and I don’t want to burn any bridges so to speak.
Old 04-10-22, 10:02 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

well my bottom line is that if the headlight assemblies don’t have afs which I don’t believe that they do; the body shop owner is gonna have to spring for the correct ones or this may become a small claims court issue which I really don’t want to have to resort to as the body shop owner Has been more than helpful in helping get everything put back together etc and I don’t want to burn any bridges so to speak.
You had a question, I suggested where to look.
I'd attach pics of my old assemblies, but won't bother since it seems too much work for you to open your hood to try and isolate where the issue is.

Good luck!
Old 04-10-22, 11:20 AM
matts6887
Racer

You had a question, I suggested where to look.
I'd attach pics of my old assemblies, but won't bother since it seems too much work for you to open your hood to try and isolate where the issue is.

Good luck!
w/e if U are gonna be that way then don’t answer! I simply said since it appears they don’t have afs then I may have to resort to that which I really don’t want to do. And there is no way for me to get pics now as the old ones have been taken off and replaced and who knows what they did with them. You don’t have to be so hasty about it. Get a grip man

Last edited by matts6887; 04-10-22 at 11:23 AM.
Old 04-10-22, 06:25 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 867 Likes on 694 Posts
Default AFS Headlights Wiring

Hi Matts, the real problem is the blinking AFS light in the dash and they need to make that right whatever it takes.

There is more to the AFS system than headlights that can cause these errors so before anyone accuses them for putting in wrong headlights, the real arguement is them making the blinking AFS go away since it could need new headlights and sensor adjustments, etc, etc, on and on.

Plug on driver side- goes directly to AFS Ecu, should not be unhooked for cars with AFS option.

Plug on pasenger side- goes directly to AFS Ecu, should not be unhooked for cars with AFS option.

This is why they must be hooked up and shoud be using these connector pins below- can't skip these. Headlight AFS Left & Rigt plugs.

PS- don't let them do the code clear or the battery unhook and rehook trick to clear the light(or codes) so it comes back on the way home or the next day and you have to go confront them all over again.

Last edited by Margate330; 04-10-22 at 06:49 PM.
Old 04-10-22, 07:02 PM
matts6887
Racer

Originally Posted by Margate330
Hi Matts, the real problem is the blinking AFS light in the dash and they need to make that right whatever it takes.

There is more to the AFS system than headlights that can cause these errors so before anyone accuses them for putting in wrong headlights, the real arguement is them making the blinking AFS go away since it could need new headlights and sensor adjustments, etc, etc, on and on.

Plug on driver side- goes directly to AFS Ecu, should not be unhooked for cars with AFS option.

Plug on pasenger side- goes directly to AFS Ecu, should not be unhooked for cars with AFS option.

This is why they must be hooked up and shoud be using these connector pins below- can't skip these. Headlight AFS Left & Rigt plugs.

PS- don't let them do the code clear or the battery unhook and rehook trick to clear the light(or codes) so it comes back on the way home or the next day and you have to go confront them all over again.
oh believe me either they correct the problem at hand or to small claims court i go who I’m sure will side with me and force them to make it right. But I’d rather stay away from all that if it can be helped.
Old 04-12-22, 02:05 PM
matts6887
Racer

went back to the body shop to try and see if they could reprogram the afs system. Nope! turns out the aftermarket ones they put in are in fact the wrong ones. So, the owner searched for and found used afs replacements which were still $$$ at like 1100 bucks! and its supposed to be part of the re[airs but now he(the owner) is saying he cant eat those costs and im thinking so what! why should we be responsible for paying for something that should have been included in the repairs!!! anw now im a bit ticked off over this but there is no way we should be held responsible for this!!!
Old 04-14-22, 04:12 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 867 Likes on 694 Posts

went back to the body shop to try and see if they could reprogram the afs system. Nope! turns out the aftermarket ones they put in are in fact the wrong ones. So, the owner searched for and found used afs replacements which were still $$$ at like 1100 bucks! and its supposed to be part of the re[airs but now he(the owner) is saying he cant eat those costs and im thinking so what! why should we be responsible for paying for something that should have been included in the repairs!!! anw now im a bit ticked off over this but there is no way we should be held responsible for this!!!
Not sure if anyone has done it before but may be able to use some resistors to fool the ecu/motor driver into thinking it has motors hooked up.

If I had the car here I can let ya'll know for sure since I'd be able to test the motors but I don;t have access to an AFS feature car to see.

Quick Reply: afs off light flashing