RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Hitch Receiver

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-03, 07:25 AM
rkytop_bob
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hitch Receiver

My 2004 330 has towing package. I'm thinking about having someone put a hitch receiver on. Any advice, if I should, cost, factory receiver, aftermarket, ect. ? Thanks for your comments.
Best Regards...................Bob.............
Old 08-20-03, 09:32 AM
RickC
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I thought someone here stated that the hitch wasn't available yet for the 330. I was surprised, because I always thought a tow package included the hitch. Not sure what it includes on the Lexus.

RickC
Old 08-20-03, 08:29 PM
JRB
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right - no factory hitch yet available and to my knowledge there is no definite date when it will be released. They had the same issue with the GX, and it caused many owners who were counting on their GX to be their tow vehicle to complain loudly to Lexus and their dealers who apparently made some promises they couldn't keep. I'm just glad that I got a hitch put on my FX45, so my boat didn't just sit in the garage all summer...originally the RX was going to be our tow vehicle, but now I may just confine the hitch to the FX.

As far as the "Towing Pkg" ($160) is concerned, I believe this just includes the pre-wiring for the hitch if and when it's installed, plus a heavy-duty radiator for extra cooling capacity. I don't think it includes a transmission cooler - maybe someone could chime in here if I'm wrong.
Old 09-05-03, 07:19 PM
tbrian
Driver School Candidate

JRB has it right. Just picked up our RX330 this afternoon. I became more and more curious/frustrated that lexus had charged me 160 bucks for a factory installed towing package that wasn't installed at the factory. Only after several inquiries was it explained that this was did not include the tow hitch. Thought it was an awfully cheap deal...

Anyway, I'm with the GX folks, what's so dang difficult about sticking a Class III hitch on the back. What is begining to worry me is that there isn't anything substantial back there to attach it too...
Old 09-05-03, 07:23 PM
tbrian
Driver School Candidate

Also, we love the FX35 from the inside, my wife did not like the outside though. She has the Lexus RX330, I have the G35 sedan, but she likes the 6-speed in mine and is negotiating a trade. She wants my G35 and I take her RX330....
Old 09-06-03, 01:50 AM
firebird
Driver School Candidate

Hi guys,

Not sure what the issue is in the US with regard to the towing hitch but Lexus already has one available in Australia. I have ordered and seen several RX330 with them already fitted. I have will post the picture out of the Brochure in the Gallery so that you can see what it looks like. Cost downunder is about $1000 fitted and wired. Apparantly you need to remove the rear bumper to fit and that is why it is expensive. Usually towbars are about $500-$600 fitted. Got mine included in the deal so did not really care about the cost.

Cheers Firebird.
Old 09-06-03, 01:56 AM
firebird
Driver School Candidate

Picture in Gallery

https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/sh...t=1&thecat=503

Cheers Firebird
Old 09-11-03, 05:39 PM
toddm
Driver School Candidate

Default BUMP

I have a deposit on the first silver RX330 with an actual trailer hitch on it to come into my dealer. I was kinda wondering when this was coming in. Anyone have any clue about the date?

Waiting patiently...

ToddM
Old 09-11-03, 08:46 PM
JRB
Pole Position

Default toddm

If the hitch experience with the GX is any guide, you better have LOTS of patience...

Hope you get it relatively soon - please post comments and pics back here after you take delivery.
Old 09-12-03, 10:57 AM
paul8801
Driver School Candidate

Hidden Hitch just came out with an aftermarket Class III receiver for the RX330. Part# 87778

http://www.hiddenhitch.com/

can get them from here $139:

http://www.hitchesonline.com/lexus_cl34_rx_330_04.htm
Old 09-13-03, 05:42 AM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure you get what you want and I too suggest making sure you get a true Lexus hitch.

My dealer did not use a Lexus hitch and was having hitches added by a town 3rd party hitch dealer. I wish I had insisted on a Lexus part. I am just hoping they installed it correctly.

I only use it for a 2" bike rack, no towing on this baby!
Old 09-13-03, 05:57 PM
jeremyp111
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just installed a hidden hitch from etrailer.com on my 2000 RX300 and they carry the one for the RX330 as well. Same part number as listed above, 87778. Their delivery was quick and it came well packaged with detailed instructions. It took about 15 minutes, including unpacking the box. It is soooo easy to do. Installing on the RX330 is exactly the same as the RX300, just remove the tie down brackets and install the hitch in place and you are done.

JP
Old 09-13-03, 08:42 PM
cotmc
Driver School Candidate

Post hidden hitch

Actually, at hitchesonline.com, the Hidden Hitch 87778 for the RX330 is only $133. They carry a similar Class III Da'Lan Hitch (from Curt Manufacturing) for the RX330 at $139. The Da'Lan Hitch can support 350 lbs of tongue weight, compared to 300 lbs for the Hidden Hitch.

Beware that the Hidden Hitch is NOT hidden for the RX330. According to another online hitch site, hitch-web.com, the crossmember is exposed beneath the bumper. They specifically warn about this exposure within two different areas of the hitch description. In fact, I'm rather disappointed that hitchesonline.com doesn't supply a similar warning!

According to the hitch-web.com site, the Da'Lan hitch's round tube crossmember is only "minimally exposed" beneath the bumper. I'm thinking this might be a better option for the 330.
Old 09-15-03, 09:12 AM
toddm
Driver School Candidate

Default It's coming soon

In 2 weeks my car with the factory hitch on it should be here. I will post pics.

Todd
Old 09-15-03, 02:04 PM
JRB
Pole Position

Default Re: It's coming soon

Originally posted by toddm
In 2 weeks my car with the factory hitch on it should be here. I will post pics.

Todd
Todd, if you don't mind me asking, how much extra did you have to pay for the factory installed hitch? (i.e. over the regular tow hitch package that includes the prep work but not the hitch itself).

Anyone know if dealers will be getting these in soon and how much the part & labor will be for installation on existing RX's?

Quick Reply: Hitch Receiver