RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

rear pwr door malfunctioning. What if u loose key

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-19, 02:42 PM
CBR45
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear pwr door malfunctioning. What if u loose key

Greetings
I have 2 questions
2008 RX350
1) I am an part time Uber driver and I use my rear power door a lot but it seems to have a glitch . I open it from either inside the car or remotely from the key fob, as it opens and reaches the maximum open, then it randomly will close by itself. I don't know if it has something to do with a sensor, the rear hatch back struts, needs to be re-calibrated ?? I haven't had any time to take it to my mechanic yet . Was wondering if anybody else has had this problem. Wanted to get an idea before taking it in

2) If I lost my key and I am pretty sure I know the answer to this question, am I dead in the water and would have to get a new key from the dealer, have the remote programmed to the car, or is there any way to prevent this hassle and expensive route, yes I know what you are saying.... do not lose the key ! was just wondering if there was some simple way to prevent a difficulty ?
Thank-you
Old 02-16-19, 05:35 PM
ToledoRX
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by CBR45
Greetings
I have 2 questions
2008 RX350
1) I am an part time Uber driver and I use my rear power door a lot but it seems to have a glitch . I open it from either inside the car or remotely from the key fob, as it opens and reaches the maximum open, then it randomly will close by itself. I don't know if it has something to do with a sensor, the rear hatch back struts, needs to be re-calibrated ?? I haven't had any time to take it to my mechanic yet . Was wondering if anybody else has had this problem. Wanted to get an idea before taking it in

2) If I lost my key and I am pretty sure I know the answer to this question, am I dead in the water and would have to get a new key from the dealer, have the remote programmed to the car, or is there any way to prevent this hassle and expensive route, yes I know what you are saying.... do not lose the key ! was just wondering if there was some simple way to prevent a difficulty ?
Thank-you
I have this problem in really cold - less than 0 degree - weather. I think when it happens, it's because it losses air pressure inside the hatch struts due to the cold weather. So my guess is, your struts are probably leaking.

As far as not being able to open the rear hatch, there's a button inside the rear license plate frame (it's covered by a black rubber boot) between the rear licence plate lights that you can press to manually open the rear hatch if you are unable to open it using your key fob or from inside the car.
Old 02-16-19, 08:32 PM
Audiqv8
Intermediate

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by CBR45

Thank-you
You should get a spare key made using either the 'keycode' or taking it to a locksmith. You will need the original Master key to program the key to the car. You can have the locksmith program the key as a second Master key. This will be cheaper than going to the dealership. The other route is to purchase an MCVI ODBII reader and Techstream. You can programs both the key for the car and for the doors.

The other alternative is to order the following item from Amazon. I don't know anything about it. I use Techstream to programs my Lexus and Toyota.
Amazon Amazon

Old 02-16-19, 08:44 PM
Audiqv8
Intermediate

You can buy the key w/cutting on eBay for $14.88 but you need to supply a 'keycode' The keycode is stamped on the driver side door lock. Search youtube on Toyota keycode and removing the lock. It is one bolt that holds the door lock.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BLADE-CUT-INC-KEY-LESS-ENTRY-REMOTE-KEY-SHELL-REPAIR-KEYS-FOB-for-LEXUS-KCR/162553752728?hash=item25d8f56c98:g:KqwAAOSw8CZa4Nsz:rk:1f:1&frcectupt=true
Old 02-16-19, 09:57 PM
DavidWebb
Driver School Candidate

I had the same issue with the rear hatch. Once I changed the gas struts, opening the hatch manually is so much easier

you probably know this but if the hatch closes prematurely, there is no way of stopping it. It is quite dangerous

Old 02-18-19, 01:42 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Got that right, the struts are gone. Could be a source of an accident, where out of the blue, the rear hatch goes down. A $42 fix, get a set of struts from mazon.
Old 02-18-19, 03:48 PM
CBR45
Driver School Candidate

Thanks mandyfig I am not familiar with with the struts that are on a motorized door, I worked at NAPA and sold many a strut to hoods hatchbacks etc that aren't motorized that would not stay open, but not on a motorized door. So I assume that the rear hatchback motor raises the door and when it maxes out at the top and the struts don't have any more strength to keep it open it starts to fall down and then the rear hatch motor thinks the door is suppose to close ??? this is what I am assuming. If you are correct than this is an easy cheap fix that I can do ..... thank-you very much
Old 02-18-19, 06:04 PM
DavidWebb
Driver School Candidate

Yes, that is correct. The struts can hold the hatch and it closes prematurely. I also considered the fact that you are straining the motor without the assistance of the struts. Just buy them on amazon. Make sure you get a helper (tall person) or a long stick to hold up the hatch as you replace them. You will need to fully prop the door open in order for the struts to fit.
Old 02-18-19, 06:18 PM
Audiqv8
Intermediate

There is also a sensor that if the hatch tries to open and encounter an obstacle that the hatch will reverse itself. This is very similar to the Sienna van sliding door that if the door encounters an obstacle it will reverse itself.
Old 02-18-19, 11:06 PM
sbryant324
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

CBR45, you might also want to look into getting a 2 piece credit card wallet key to carry with you as a backup.( have all your keys programmed at once but you canprobably do this yourself if you research it on youtube).This is an emergency 2 piece "credit card" type key which you would hold up to the ignition area while inserting the "stub" type key portion. I carried one of these for my RX300 and one day my wife's key broke while she was at work and she did ot realize she had ldropped the transponder contents. It got us out of the lurch until I had a new master key cut at the dealership where I worked. It's not a day to day key but handy as a backup or when travelling. It came standard with some configurations from new and needs to be programmed like a reguler Lexus remote or valet key. According to the info I have read you will most likely need a key batch labelled # 40,000 to 49,000. As for your struts, new ones are a quick fix. I would suggest you replace the lower brackets as well since they tend to gather moisture and the ball joints can rust which might chew up the pivot on your new struts. Be sure to grease the pivot joints, prop open the rear hatch securely when changing these., it's a 30 minute job at most. If you look at your current struts they are most likely blistered due tto age and condensation. I bought a set of Monroes from Rock Auto in December for about $36. Fixed the exact problem you describe as the door was sensing resistance on cold dsys and reclosing as a safety precaution, as described above.
Old 02-19-19, 05:42 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Struts for our Rear Hatch, I have replace both my Hood strut and Rear Struts. The Rear was replaced a long time ago. The front was replaced 3 months ago ( and the hood hit my head...am ok).

I have replaced the Rear Struts for 3 friends who have the RX SUVs. Every time I buy the same struts.
Old 02-19-19, 09:24 AM
CBR45
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sbryant324
CBR45, you might also want to look into getting a 2 piece credit card wallet key to carry with you as a backup.( have all your keys programmed at once but you canprobably do this yourself if you research it on youtube).This is an emergency 2 piece "credit card" type key which you would hold up to the ignition area while inserting the "stub" type key portion. I carried one of these for my RX300 and one day my wife's key broke while she was at work and she did ot realize she had ldropped the transponder contents. It got us out of the lurch until I had a new master key cut at the dealership where I worked. It's not a day to day key but handy as a backup or when travelling. It came standard with some configurations from new and needs to be programmed like a reguler Lexus remote or valet key. According to the info I have read you will most likely need a key batch labelled # 40,000 to 49,000. As for your struts, new ones are a quick fix. I would suggest you replace the lower brackets as well since they tend to gather moisture and the ball joints can rust which might chew up the pivot on your new struts. Be sure to grease the pivot joints, prop open the rear hatch securely when changing these., it's a 30 minute job at most. If you look at your current struts they are most likely blistered due tto age and condensation. I bought a set of Monroes from Rock Auto in December for about $36. Fixed the exact problem you describe as the door was sensing resistance on cold dsys and reclosing as a safety precaution, as described above.
Thanks sbryant324 for the detailed explanation regarding the spare key, it is exactly what I needed to know as an emergency temporary back-up.
Thanks also on the tips regarding the rear hatch struts, pivot joints collecting moisture, lube. When you state grease pivot joints, I assume you mean to grease with a multi purpose grease. Will a spray oil do as good as job example like a silicone spray ?
Old 03-06-19, 03:47 AM
volksee
Driver School Candidate

This issue has happened twice with my RX330. I was told it was the struts. I opted for aftermarket parts, as the Lexus struts were very expensive. The mechanic advised me that he could not guarantee that the after market parts would solve the problem. They worked for about 6 months and then failed. The Lexus struts solved the problem.