RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Looking at an '08 RX350 with 80k, should I pull the trigger?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-19, 04:10 PM
wkilby
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at an '08 RX350 with 80k, should I pull the trigger?

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forums but I hope to be around more often if I make this purchase. I'm going tomorrow to look at a 2008 RX350 with 80,000 miles for $10,900. It's a one-owner car and looks real sharp. It's a trade-in at a Volvo dealership and I'm taking cash, so I think there should be some wiggle room. From what I've seen, this is a little above Blue Book value but probably below the real market value in my area right now.

I've never dealt with RXs or Lexuses at all, so what problem areas do y'all recommend looking at when I check the car out? Is anything especially problematic that I need to keep an eye out for? I've done tons of searching and nothing has stood out.

This will be to replace my 2006 Silverado. Not trading, but moving to the city after I graduate college in May and the streets are just too narrow to ride around on 34" tires so the truck will be parked RXs are my first choice and I really hope this one tomorrow works out. Thanks in advance!
Old 02-02-19, 01:58 AM
Mesquite77
Advanced

Received 210 Likes on 170 Posts

1) Look at the boots on the steering rack for any signs of wetness, or holes even (PS fluid leaking from rack eats through them). The steering racks on these cars leak badly, there is a TSB to fix it, but expired long ago.

2) Search the forum here for "transmission cooler line". This should have been fixed by first owner under a recall, make sure it was.

3) Make sure the dash was replaced, everyone of these cars had (or will have) a cracked dash that looks like a cracked egg shell. There was an extended warranty to replace it, that is now likely expired.

Enjoy, been a solid car for me (my Rx350 08 at 96K now), except A/C compressor locked up at 85K, you may want to check the A/C charge, all cars leak a little over time, and low R134a means low oil, means compressor at risk...
Old 02-03-19, 06:54 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

You should have posted link to the car.. Also, I am no fan of buying mismatched brands - a Lexus from a Volvo, or else. At least, from Toyota. Inspection is just not same, Volvo is different animal of its own.
I skimmed craigslist for Charlotte...price appares to be about right but cash is about 10% discount normally.
Anyhow. You GRADUATE in May and want RX for city driving? Not my business, you do what you want and we sold our 99 RX300 to a student, but why? Unless you graduate loan free and land a very well paid job right away, you need a reliable great mpg car, practical. Prius V or, if you land a status job and must have status car, Lexus 200H.
Old 02-03-19, 07:13 AM
mnewxcv
Lead Lap

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Assume you've already looked at it, but when shopping for a used lexus, you should always put the VIN in the Lexus Owners/Drivers website to view the service history at lexus dealers. That will at the least show you how well the first owner maintained the car, if he serviced it at lexus dealers, and if it has had any major repairs. Additionally, put the VIN in on mycarfax.com (not carfax.com) and you can view services from many other sources (other dealers, gas station garages, inspection stations, etc).
The following users liked this post:
Geowebby (05-05-19)
Old 02-03-19, 08:14 PM
wkilby
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the responses everyone. The car was a bust. The paint was faded on the passenger door that was totally not visible in the pictures, the headlights looked awful and the dash hadn't been replaced and was starting to crack pretty bad. Also, received TERRIBLE customer service from the dealership so it was a no-go.

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
You should have posted link to the car.. Also, I am no fan of buying mismatched brands - a Lexus from a Volvo, or else. At least, from Toyota. Inspection is just not same, Volvo is different animal of its own.
I skimmed craigslist for Charlotte...price appares to be about right but cash is about 10% discount normally.
Anyhow. You GRADUATE in May and want RX for city driving? Not my business, you do what you want and we sold our 99 RX300 to a student, but why? Unless you graduate loan free and land a very well paid job right away, you need a reliable great mpg car, practical. Prius V or, if you land a status job and must have status car, Lexus 200H.
Completely valid question. I am graduating loan-free and this is partially a graduation gift so my parents are helping me out quite a bit...my friends and I also tend to go on quite a few trips and such so this car will likely be used for that as well. I just want the space of an SUV without having something massive, honestly and I just really like RXs. I don't want to buy a ticking time bomb either I want something I can keep on the road for a couple years with no major foreseeable issues. I could never see myself driving a Prius (no offense to Prius owners) but I hadn't considered a 200h. Don't know much about them but I love the looks.

EDIT: Also, I'll be living in Raleigh, not like New York or anything. The city is more spread out but the roads still suck. I'm curious though, are you implying a used RX wouldn't be a relatively reliable car? I've just always heard great things about them.

Last edited by wkilby; 02-03-19 at 08:48 PM.
Old 02-03-19, 08:17 PM
wkilby
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mnewxcv
Assume you've already looked at it, but when shopping for a used lexus, you should always put the VIN in the Lexus Owners/Drivers website to view the service history at lexus dealers. That will at the least show you how well the first owner maintained the car, if he serviced it at lexus dealers, and if it has had any major repairs. Additionally, put the VIN in on mycarfax.com (not carfax.com) and you can view services from many other sources (other dealers, gas station garages, inspection stations, etc).
Appreciate the info, definitely useful for next time.
Old 02-05-19, 10:09 PM
ToledoRX
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
Well that depends on what the model of trade-in you're buying from the dealership . I'd be OK with buying a Toyota Corolla trade-in from a Lexus or Mercedes dealership. I would avoid buying a trade-in Lexus from say, a Kia dealership though
Also, I don't think an 11 year old Lexus that cost $10,000 is a show car or a status symbol. I think it's great choice for someone who just got out of college and have their first jobs. It's a reliable, comfortable, and safe transportation. Not flashy or showy like a Mercedes or BMW, but definitely more upscale than a 11 year old econobox like a Corolla or Kia. Also easy and forgiving on maintenance because it shares most parts with a Toyota, so perfect car for a 22 year old to start to learning how to doing his own maintenance work on it.
Old 02-05-19, 10:26 PM
ToledoRX
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by wkilby
Thanks for the responses everyone. The car was a bust. The paint was faded on the passenger door that was totally not visible in the pictures, the headlights looked awful and the dash hadn't been replaced and was starting to crack pretty bad. Also, received TERRIBLE customer service from the dealership so it was a no-go.

Completely valid question. I am graduating loan-free and this is partially a graduation gift so my parents are helping me out quite a bit...my friends and I also tend to go on quite a few trips and such so this car will likely be used for that as well. I just want the space of an SUV without having something massive, honestly and I just really like RXs. I don't want to buy a ticking time bomb either I want something I can keep on the road for a couple years with no major foreseeable issues. I could never see myself driving a Prius (no offense to Prius owners) but I hadn't considered a 200h. Don't know much about them but I love the looks.

EDIT: Also, I'll be living in Raleigh, not like New York or anything. The city is more spread out but the roads still suck. I'm curious though, are you implying a used RX wouldn't be a relatively reliable car? I've just always heard great things about them.
I think a used 10-15 year old Lexus RX or ES is a great choice for someone just out of school. Don't let this bad dealer experience turn you off. Used Lexus are probably the best value that you can buy with cash as a first car or if you are holding down a first job after college. Really good example with low mileage less than 100k miles are usually well-maintained one owner. Around where I live, most of these were bought by people in their 50-60s who live in nice neighborhoods and work as dentist, doctors, or accountants so they have really low mileage, don't abuse their cars, and generally follow the maintenance schedule to a tee. Unlike the same era german luxury cars (Mercedes and BMW) these Lexus don't have any major mechanical issues every year and don't depreciate much once they're 15 year or older. Maintenance is easy and very forgiving, the 2nd gen Lexus RX and ES from this era share a lot of parts with V6 Toyota Highlanders and Camrys, so parts are easy to find and really cheap, this is a great car to learn to DIY maintenance if you want to save money and have an interest in cars. Again, I think if you are looking for a first car, a 2nd Gen Lexus RX or a Lexus ES330 or ES350 should definitely be up on your list.
Old 02-06-19, 05:23 AM
wkilby
Driver School Candidate

Appreciate the info, that definitely reinforces everything I was thinking about the RX. I'm going to look at a RAV4 this week. Less exciting than a Lexus, but reliable nonetheless and priced a little lower. If it doesn't pan out, RXs and ESs will still definitely be part of my search.
Old 02-10-19, 07:29 AM
sbryant324
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If you find a pre owned clean RX, accident free and properly serviced*, you can anticipate a long and happy relationship. Maintenance should not be any more expensive than what you pay for the Volvo, but repairs should be less frequent.

I just upgraded to my 10th Toyota built product, a 2009 RX 350 - from a 2005 Toyota Highlander Limited, (essentially the same platform but older model engine and less luxury in the 05 Highlander). Highlander is now over 300,000 miles,but it remains with us as # 3 in the stable.The RX was bought needing brakes and tires "as is" after due diligence from a dealer I know, with no hesitation at 145,000 miles.

I drive nearly 50,000 miles a year, have been a satisfied Toyota owner since 1978, averaged over 200,000 miles plus on numerous models and sold New and pre-owned Lexus for 7 years between 2006 and early 2014. During that time I bought a 2001 RX 300 trade in at 175,000 miles and only upgraded after 50,000 miles more, when I took in a spotless 2005 Highlander LTD. on trade, (which I purchased as part of the transaction from the owner).

If you see a Lexus with rust or faded panels steer clear as it is most likely an accident car*
When the RX is built it goes through a pre paint, zinc bath submersion process enhancing it's rust resistance and long term durability, so a clean well serviced RX should outlast many of its rivals. Most Lexus new vehicle customers are not DIY'ers, they tend to have deep pockets and follow dealer service recommendations. If you are fortunate enough to find a one owner unit, a clean pre owned Lexus can provide years of happy service at a fraction the cost of new. Enjoy.
The following users liked this post:
gwailojoe (03-02-19)
Old 02-10-19, 03:18 PM
wkilby
Driver School Candidate

Ending up going with a 2009 RAV4 and I think I will be really happy with it. Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 02-13-19, 05:31 PM
fhpamela
Driver School Candidate

I bought my 08 brand new on July 2007. It now has 226,926 mi on it :-)