RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

MAF Sensor Cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-18, 03:48 AM
Burroo67
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default MAF Sensor Cleaning

Hi Guys,

I read a post on the UK owners site about a RX400H slightly misfiring and the petrol engine kicking in earlier than before - and VERY noticeable when it does so. The solution was to clean the MAF Sensor.

I am experiencing a similar thing with my 2008 RX400H so ordered a highly recommended MAF cleaner, trouble is I cannot get the connector to come off in order to remove the sensor!! I don't want to have to use excessive force in case I loosen some of the wiring in the connector so Has anyone any ideas on a solution?

Many thanks.
Old 10-13-18, 05:53 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 197 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Burroo67
Hi Guys,

I read a post on the UK owners site about a RX400H slightly misfiring and the petrol engine kicking in earlier than before - and VERY noticeable when it does so. The solution was to clean the MAF Sensor.

I am experiencing a similar thing with my 2008 RX400H so ordered a highly recommended MAF cleaner, trouble is I cannot get the connector to come off in order to remove the sensor!! I don't want to have to use excessive force in case I loosen some of the wiring in the connector so Has anyone any ideas on a solution?

Many thanks.
I have had that same situation changing items like oxygen sensors, spark plugs and yes the MAF sensor. They all work the same. I have had to resort to using a needle nose vise grip on more than one occasion to get the clip to release. The narrow nose of the pliers fits between the area you have to compress and allows it to release. If I hadn't done that I never would have been able to change my spark plugs.
Old 10-13-18, 07:48 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 228 Likes on 204 Posts

Spay some electronics cleaner onto the connector, to loosen gummed dirt. Take flat head screw drive, press down on the clip tab, pull/wiggle plug out. Fortunately, it's in your face easy access. Even if you get like real stuck, no matter what, breaking that locking tab off won't do much damage later, as plug still stays in place real well without it, when re inserted and you can run some tape over it to secure in place. Desperate times call for desperate measures. I don't remember, how long that plug pigtail is, but can't you take sensor out with it still connected? And spray clean right there? Cover engine with some old towel or t shirt.. MAF cleaner evaporates very quickly anyway. Make sure you get cleaner stream all the way up into the sensor bulb, as it's well hidden. Little bulb looking thing.
Old 10-14-18, 04:49 AM
Burroo67
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
Spay some electronics cleaner onto the connector, to loosen gummed dirt. Take flat head screw drive, press down on the clip tab, pull/wiggle plug out. Fortunately, it's in your face easy access. Even if you get like real stuck, no matter what, breaking that locking tab off won't do much damage later, as plug still stays in place real well without it, when re inserted and you can run some tape over it to secure in place. Desperate times call for desperate measures. I don't remember, how long that plug pigtail is, but can't you take sensor out with it still connected? And spray clean right there? Cover engine with some old towel or t shirt.. MAF cleaner evaporates very quickly anyway. Make sure you get cleaner stream all the way up into the sensor bulb, as it's well hidden. Little bulb looking thing.
Many thanks, the screwdriver was an excellent suggestion. A bit of brute force won the day and off came the sensor, only for me to find that it was clean as a whistle!! Still, it was off so got a good blast with the MAF Sensor cleaner before being re-installed. Job done,
Old 10-14-18, 05:38 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 228 Likes on 204 Posts

Yep. Say prayer it's right on duct top. And cheap to replace. I replaced it twice on wife's RX300.
Old 10-15-18, 05:48 PM
Koolaid54
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

toyota/lexus doesn't recommend using any type of cleaner. in fact its assembled in a clean room. The one thing i used to clean them is good old compressed air. it should be enough to blow off any dust or debris