RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Looking to get a 2009 RX. Opinions appreciated.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-18, 09:39 PM
LexPegged
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Looking to get a 2009 RX. Opinions appreciated.

I’m not new to Lexus, I own a 2010 ES 350. I’m looking to get another Lexus, particularly interested in a AWD 2009 RX 350 with 112k. It’s the loaded up model with nav. Asking price is just over 10k. Too much? Owner claims to have receipts of all maintenance done at our local Lexus dealer. Anything to pay particular attention to? At this mileage would suspension parts need replacement and how well would other driveline parts hold up at this age? My ES is only at 82k. Anything else that should be carefully inspected? If it checks out ok with me, I will still get my mechanic to have a closer look. Thanks in advance for an info.

Last edited by LexPegged; 08-13-18 at 09:59 PM.
Old 08-14-18, 08:57 AM
2for1
Driver School Candidate

Price sounds OK. Older NAV systems are not desirable to me. Dated.
Listen for serpentine belt idler pulley noise. Suspension parts should be good.
Check records for regular oil changes. Probably should change tranny fluid.
Check all power window and sunroof operations. Seat heaters also.
It is a fine vehicle in my opinion. Get it, don't wait!
Only good in snow 6 to 8 inches. Not enough ground clearance.
Old 08-14-18, 08:14 PM
LexPegged
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2for1
Price sounds OK. Older NAV systems are not desirable to me. Dated.
Listen for serpentine belt idler pulley noise. Suspension parts should be good.
Check records for regular oil changes. Probably should change tranny fluid.
Check all power window and sunroof operations. Seat heaters also.
It is a fine vehicle in my opinion. Get it, don't wait!
Only good in snow 6 to 8 inches. Not enough ground clearance.
Thanks. Good winter driving capabilities are important. Especially ice. We spend a good 3 to 4 month here well below 10°F dipping as low as -40! Not a ton of snow usually but slippery as hell.
Old 08-15-18, 03:04 AM
Mesquite77
Advanced

Received 210 Likes on 170 Posts

Make sure it had the dashboard (cracking) replacement done...
Old 08-15-18, 11:27 AM
jooksing82
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Mesquite77
Make sure it had the dashboard (cracking) replacement done...
I don't think that is an issue for OP's location.
Old 08-15-18, 07:25 PM
ToledoRX
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by LexPegged
I’m not new to Lexus, I own a 2010 ES 350. I’m looking to get another Lexus, particularly interested in a AWD 2009 RX 350 with 112k. It’s the loaded up model with nav. Asking price is just over 10k. Too much? Owner claims to have receipts of all maintenance done at our local Lexus dealer. Anything to pay particular attention to? At this mileage would suspension parts need replacement and how well would other driveline parts hold up at this age? My ES is only at 82k. Anything else that should be carefully inspected? If it checks out ok with me, I will still get my mechanic to have a closer look. Thanks in advance for an info.
I think $10k is a reasonable price for a 2009 RX with 110k miles. I'm used to seeing older 07-08 ES350 going for about that much.

I don't think the driveline components need to be replaced other than the 100k tune-up (which may have already been done by the previous owner).

With 2nd gen RX, I think you should inspect the radiator and power steering pump to see if there are any leaks (a common problem with the older RX330)
Old 08-15-18, 08:36 PM
professorm
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

$10k is a great price for a 09 w/112k miles. I was having a very hard time finding a 07/08 rx350 with under 120kvmiles 2 months ago. I ended up getting a RX400h though and have not regretted that decision one bit after driving and learning about them.
Old 08-20-18, 07:16 PM
LexPegged
Driver School Candidate

OMG! OP here. I passed up on the RX, but now I have a chance to get a 2009 Pebble Beach Edition RX 350 with only 86k for the same $10,700, but the car is located some 3 hour drive from me.
I don't know If I can do this, since getting it to see my mechanic will be downright impossible. I'm torn and don't know what to do. I'm still waiting for the owner to contact me back. Just found the ad minutes ago. From the ad itself, I know very little about the vehicle, only one picture posted, but the owner claims to have maintenance records.
Few questions for you knowledgeable RX owners. Up here in Canada, the Pebble Beach Edition commanded almost an $11k on top of base when new. What exactly was part of that package? Was it just the premium package + adaptive headlamps + 18" wheels and the special grill and badges? As far as I know it still had the cassette deck LOL. Thanks for your help.
Old 08-22-18, 09:06 PM
lexusgotme
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seems like a good deal

First post on this forum.

I boight my wife a 2009 Lexus RX350 AWD 150k Miles for $8k about a year ago. But I’m in the NE region and the vehicle had a minor rear driver side collision (owner drove into a tree in her driveway chasing her dog - oops!).

With that said, I think $10k represents a pretty good value. In my area, that car may fetch a little more than 10k depending on exterior/interior condition.

As far as what we’ve replaced, we’ve put a little over 20k mikes on it. So far replaced tires with Michelin Premiers which were about $250/tire given the upgraded wheel size. But they handle wonderfully.

We just replaced the alternator and belt and all brakes/rotors, which I used this forum to find the best brakes.

About to replace the rear struts and probably the fronts too.

We we are at 172k miles now.

This is all besides normal fluid changes.

Now for your deal, of course I’d look at the car fax and at that price pay for a PPI. But the suggestions here are very sound.

I haven’t experienced any problems with our first Lexus. And I’m considering getting a used GS. But I do love my E46s.

Best of of luck to you and let us know how it goes.

EDIT: based on your last comment, I’d say go for the pebble beach edition. I’m pretty sure that’s what my wife got and at that mileage and year and price that’s a fantastic value. Ours doesn’t have nav. But has the upgraded wheels and lights and AWD. I think that’s the difference although I’m not as well versed.

Last edited by lexusgotme; 08-22-18 at 09:10 PM.
Old 08-23-18, 06:00 AM
professorm
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by lexusgotme
I haven’t experienced any problems with our first Lexus. And I’m considering getting a used GS. But I do love my E46s.

Ha, I got a GS for myself after my wife drove the RX and decided she wanted it . I had a e90 that I was going to keep, but after driving the Lexus, I decided to go the Lexus route. First of all, the lexus is super reliable in comparison to BMW. I think that's just common knowledge... but, the driving experience is night and day. I am a die hard Manual Transmission person, and this auto in the lexus makes me hate it. I have no control over the shift points. The closest I get to a good driving experience in the GS is using the ECT Power button. I have only had it about a month now. I need to see if there is a way to reset the transmission shift points so that it adapts more to my driving style rather than the previous owners. All in all, its more comfortable and luxurious, but I am very much a sport sedan person. I miss the BMW, but I still love the GS.
Old 08-23-18, 05:57 PM
LexPegged
Driver School Candidate

I think I’m going to have to pass on this Pebble Beach Lexus. It seems like a shady deal to me. I talked to the owner on the phone yesterday. He’s an older guy, probably in his early 70’s (he mentioned that his dad is in his mid 90s). Claims he has owned the RX for the past 4 years. He said the car needs rear struts because he pulled a boat with it and now it sags. What?! LOL. Also, apparently his neighbour’s kid hit it with a golf club. Not a golf ball. Golf club. It has no valid safety papers. The vehicle doesn’t look that great, based on crappy photos he sent to me. It has two new tires (why two only?) and new brakes all around. The guy lives 3.5 hours away from me. It seems too risky for me to travel that far and be ultimately disappointed. Does anyone want to see the photos he sent me? Perhaps there are some possible clues in them and some of you may be able to tell the actual condition of this Lexus.
Old 08-24-18, 04:18 AM
professorm
Pit Crew

It doesn’t seem shady. It seem like it needs some work and it gives room for negotiation. 2 main issues. The kid hitting it, how bad is the dent, one dent? Can you live with it or do you need it fixed? If you can’t live with a dent, then pass.
The towing a boat to the point that it sags the suspension... how often did he pull this boat? Every weekend or 3 times over the time he owned it? The boat causes extra wear on the engine and transmission, so that is the biggest concern that I would have.
With that, have you offered him a lower price as yet? Offer like $8,200 and see if you can reach to $8500.

But, the towing is the biggest concern. I do not want a RX which was a regular tow vehcle.... although I tow with my RX400H.
The following users liked this post:
LexPegged (08-24-18)
Old 08-24-18, 05:48 AM
LexPegged
Driver School Candidate

My thought exactly. The transmission could very well be shot with a lot of towing. He won’t drop the price much. He dropped it to $13k Canadian because of the struts. That’s just under $10 US. Let me show you a glimpse of this vehicle so you can judge for yourselves. Based on this shot it looks like the carpet and seats are very filthy. If the photo comes through as received, it should have some motion too (it’s the iPhone Live photo).
Old 08-24-18, 06:45 AM
2for1
Driver School Candidate

Walk away from this RX. Never buy one used for towing. Sagging struts tells me it was abused. The seat in the picture shows a lot more miles than my RX with 150k. My seats are almost perfect. No lines showing. I wouldn't buy it for any price. Trouble waiting to happen
The following users liked this post:
LexPegged (08-26-18)
Old 08-25-18, 04:32 PM
DavidWebb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Something else to consider. There are a lot of shady people who roll back the odometer. Unless you have paper records that can substantiate the mileage, it is possible this thing has high mileage and other issues....

Quick Reply: Looking to get a 2009 RX. Opinions appreciated.