RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2007 Lexus RX 350 AWD Front Strut Replacement

Old 02-23-18, 11:15 AM
coolioe93
Driver School Candidate

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jcoy
Do any of you know where I can find the torque specs, preferably with a diagram for the bolts in relation to the struts, lower control arms and tie rods for my 2007 Lexus RX 350 AWD?

Dunno about the tie rods and lower control arms. Here are the specs for the struts

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...dccc155268.png
The following 2 users liked this post by coolioe93:
jcoy (02-23-18), RXJack (03-06-18)
Old 03-06-18, 09:01 AM
RXJack
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

My 2008 has only 60,000 miles, but it is 10 years old and has more "pitch and roll" than when new and the ride is harsher as well. Had the front suspension checked, nothing wrong, it has never been in an accident. But in talking with suspension experts and mechanics, they tell me that after 60,000 miles the shocks (struts) should be replaced.

Am looking at the FCS Strut Assembly from Discount Auto Shocks, it is about $400 for all four. I see a lot of opinions and people on this board about KYB, buying aftermarket whole assemblies, etc., but I don't see anybody who has actually installed the FCS full strut assembly with the springs and all and driven it like a year. So I did my research. Here are a few of the things I have found.

1) As Cooleoe93 notes, while the Lexus OE struts are supposedly made by KYB, the replacement KYBs are not the same. The originals are oil and the replacements have some gas in them. According to my shock guy, they should be "15% better" but from people who have experienced them, gas shocks in the 2nd generation RX, it makes the ride much more harsh. It doesn't return it to the same feel as new. I loved the ride when it was new.

Now the FCS fully assembled including the spring are supposed to be engineered to the same ride and handling as OE. FCS is based in Michigan and on their website they claim to have over 60 engineers and techs who design these.

2) The springs included are not the same as the OEM. It is very hard to match spring rate with cars and trucks. So now I'm going to a different shock.strut and a new spring by putting in the whole assembly. That is why I am putting in 4 vs. a mix and match.

3) Switching out the old pistons/shocks with KYB/Monroe and reusing the old springs and other parts has its problems. And if you do, it is best to replace the bearings at the top...it gets expensive and is a lot of work. So no good answer, but I like the idea of the full strut assembly from both the ease of installation and the fact that everything is new.

Also, there is an assumption in society that chinese parts are not high quality. I have found that they have moved up in the quality game where they are often as good or exceeding the Japanese, or anybody. A lot of Bosch parts that are used in Mercedes are now manufactured in China.

A good example of Chinese excellence are their premium brake rotors. I was always a big fan of Raybestos Advanced Technology--their super premium line made in America. They are still my preferred choice. But some of the high-carbon rotors from China are lasting just as long and not warping, and beautifully made. So for me, it isn't a China vs. Japan thing...it is more about how the engineers in Michigan spec it out and monitor quality for the Chinese to manufacture.

So after I install these FCS fully assembled units on my 2008 Lexus RX350 I'll update this forum . But if anybody has actually used these on a gen 2 RX I'd love to hear about it in advance. Thanks.

Last edited by RXJack; 03-06-18 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Clean it up
The following 3 users liked this post by RXJack:
Bajre23 (06-16-21), Bogey2 (08-11-20), ES300TX (08-21-20)
Old 03-06-18, 01:30 PM
kennytbone
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I replaced my rear struts with FCS complete strut assemblies in May of 2017. They are a little stiffer than stock but not harsh. I have no problem with the ride quality and feel like the RX handles better now than it did stock. It feels tighter, less "floaty". Time will tell if the overall quality is there, but so far so good. They appeared to be well made out of the box and looked to be holding up well when I replaced my brake pads and rotors last month.
The following 3 users liked this post by kennytbone:
Bajre23 (06-16-21), Lazyj321 (03-11-18), RXJack (03-06-18)
Old 03-06-18, 02:15 PM
RXJack
Driver School Candidate

kennybone, thanks for the quick response! What you describe is what I am looking for. What some folks refer to as stiff is what I refer to as taught. I like a taught/tight ride, not harsh but one that allows the road to "communicate" with me.

That is how mine was new. Now the little bumps hit hard and are jarring, not taught. The new strut assemblies are on their way so I am looking forward to installing.
Thanks!
Jack

Last edited by RXJack; 03-06-18 at 02:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Bajre23 (06-16-21)
Old 03-11-18, 09:58 PM
Lazyj321
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RXJack
kennybone, thanks for the quick response! What you describe is what I am looking for. What some folks refer to as stiff is what I refer to as taught. I like a taught/tight ride, not harsh but one that allows the road to "communicate" with me.

That is how mine was new. Now the little bumps hit hard and are jarring, not taught. The new strut assemblies are on their way so I am looking forward to installing.
Thanks!
Jack
Going to be doing this job myself, might go this way, although, not afraid of tackling the springs, just would like to keep it close to original.

Looking forward to an update on the ride quality.
Old 03-14-18, 10:40 AM
RXJack
Driver School Candidate

UPDATE: FCS Strut Assembly quality review
So per my previous posts, I was wondering about how good FCS shocks/strut assemblies are. My Lexus RX350 has only 60,000 miles, but it is 10 years old. The ride seemed a little bit floaty. Both Lexus of Wayzata and another mechanic told me that my struts were fine as there was no leakage.

One place that didn't carry FCS advised me to go with KYB or Monroe. They said the spring quality on the FCS would not match, but they only sold the strut cartridges because as of this writing KYB and Monroe do not make full strut assemblies. So I ordered the FCS strut assemblies (including the springs, these are sometimes called "Quick Struts) from another place. They shipped quickly and the total cost including shipping and tax was about $402. I also knew I would need new stablizer connectors so I ordered 4 at $14 a piece from Brake Equipment Warehouse in Minneapolis. The new stablizer connectors have "grease zircs" unlike the old ones which were sealed.

When I tried to put them in, I realized that I would need to cut the old stabilizer links off and the bolts at the bottom of the strut assemblies were heavily rusted and I could not loosen them with a breaker bar. So I got a mechanic to do a complete install for $275 on all four, including the stabilizer bars.

THE RESULT: OMG!!!! The car rides just like it did when it was new!!! I love these things. No more pitch and roll. My son got in and in about 100 feet said "This is totally different. It is like a new car!" The ride is not harsh, but firm like it should be. Around corners, the car goes where you aim it without any roll. I would buy these again in a second. They have a lifetime warranty as well.

RECOMMENDATIONS: FCS strut assemblies work great! Not sure if it is the new struts or the new springs, but I like them a lot. I'm sure KYB and Monroe and others work well too, but I would not hesitate to buy these for a second. The only thing is have somebody else install them unless you have access to an air impact wrench, a cutting torch for the stabilizer links, and lift. It is a big job and without a lift you're working on the ground, in the dirt.

What has me perplexed is that Lexus of Wayzata and the other mechanic both said it was riding fine, that I did not need them. This restored the car to its original ride! What were they thinking? Write to me with any questions...am really excited these worked out so well.
The following 2 users liked this post by RXJack:
Bajre23 (06-16-21), ES300TX (08-21-20)
Old 03-14-18, 10:44 AM
coolioe93
Driver School Candidate

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

So per my previous posts, I was wondering about how good FCS shocks/strut assemblies are. My Lexus RX350 has only 60,000 miles, but it is 10 years old. The ride seemed a little bit floaty. Both Lexus of Wayzata and another mechanic told me that my struts were fine as there was no leakage.

One place that didn't carry FCS advised me to go with KYB or Monroe. They said the spring quality on the FCS would not match, but they only sold the strut cartridges because as of this writing KYB and Monroe do not make full strut assemblies. So I ordered the FCS strut assemblies (including the springs, these are sometimes called "Quick Struts) from another place. They shipped quickly and the total cost including shipping and tax was about $402. I also knew I would need new stablizer connectors so I ordered 4 at $14 a piece from Brake Equipment Warehouse in Minneapolis. The new stablizer connectors have "grease zircs" unlike the old ones which were sealed.

When I tried to put them in, I realized that I would need to cut the old stabilizer links off and the bolts at the bottom of the strut assemblies were heavily rusted and I could not loosen them with a breaker bar. So I got a mechanic to do a complete install for $275 on all four, including the stabilizer bars.

THE RESULT: OMG!!!! The car rides just like it did when it was new!!! I love these things. No more pitch and roll. My son got in and in about 100 feet said "This is totally different. It is like a new car!" The ride is not harsh, but firm like it should be. Around corners, the car goes where you aim it without any roll. I would buy these again in a second. They have a lifetime warranty as well.

RECOMMENDATIONS: FCS strut assemblies work great! Not sure if it is the new struts or the new springs, but I like them a lot. I'm sure KYB and Monroe and others work well too, but I would not hesitate to buy these for a second. The only thing is have somebody else install them unless you have access to an air impact wrench, a cutting torch for the stabilizer links, and lift. It is a big job and without a lift you're working on the ground, in the dirt.

What has me perplexed is that Lexus of Wayzata and the other mechanic both said it was riding fine, that I did not need them. This restored the car to its original ride! What were they thinking? Write to me with any questions...am really excited these worked out so well.

glad and to hear you’re happy with them. Please post a long term review in 6 months to a year to see how they’re holding up. I don’t doubt the initial quality of these struts but rather the long term reliability.
Old 03-14-18, 11:33 AM
RXJack
Driver School Candidate

Sure..happy to update after 6 mos and after a year. FYI Kennytbone posted on March 11th that he has been using the FCS strut assemblies since May of last year and they are still holding up. In my case, I am in Minnesota where they will freeze to -20 degrees (that is without the windchill...it is actual temperature) and there are a lot of spring potholes, so I'll put them to the test over the next year.
Old 03-22-18, 05:13 AM
vesnyder
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought the Lexus for the ride and I would be leary of non-OEM struts - particularly the comments on the harsh ride. I would spend the extra and go with the original springs to maintain the original ride characteristics. Just my $.02 but I have used aftermarket struts in the past with less than acceptable results.
The following users liked this post:
Bogey2 (06-11-21)
Old 04-10-18, 10:05 PM
GX460PREM
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where did you purchased your FCS Quick Struts?
Do they offer any additional discount for CL members?
Do you have a photo of the stabilizer connector?
Is cutting the stabilizer link an option bc I assume the FCS Quick Struts should resemble the original struts?

Thanks
Old 04-10-18, 10:07 PM
GX460PREM
Driver

Originally Posted by kennytbone
I replaced my rear struts with FCS complete strut assemblies in May of 2017. They are a little stiffer than stock but not harsh. I have no problem with the ride quality and feel like the RX handles better now than it did stock. It feels tighter, less "floaty". Time will tell if the overall quality is there, but so far so good. They appeared to be well made out of the box and looked to be holding up well when I replaced my brake pads and rotors last month.
Is your vehicle FWD or AWD? Just need to determine if cutting the stabilizer link is required.

Thanks
Old 04-11-18, 06:38 AM
kennytbone
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GX460PREM

Is your vehicle FWD or AWD? Just need to determine if cutting the stabilizer link is required.

Thanks
Mine is FWD.
Old 04-11-18, 07:01 AM
GX460PREM
Driver

Originally Posted by kennytbone
Mine is FWD.
Were the rear FCS struts a direct fit? Did you have to cut anything?
Old 04-11-18, 10:56 AM
rexsio
Driver School Candidate

Surprisingly, Summit Racing also makes the compete front strut assembly for the 2nd gen RX.

Summit Racing Front Strut assembly

I got the FCS, mines old with a bunch of miles no need for big spending. But had I known, would have probably gone with the Summit, it would be a hard argument that these are not at least half way decent medium grade parts, then again who knows these day's, quality can be questionable in a lot of today's offerings for car parts.
Old 04-11-18, 11:41 AM
nwfsnake
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Funny that you can get OEM Tokico struts for a lot of vehicles, but not our RXs here in the US. Would be nice to get OEM without going through Toyota or Lexus...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2007 Lexus RX 350 AWD Front Strut Replacement