RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2007 Lexus RX 350 AWD Front Strut Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-18, 04:59 PM
jcoy
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2007 Lexus RX 350 AWD Front Strut Replacement

I am going to be replacing both front struts for my 2007 Lexus RX 350 AWD.

I am considering purchasing the entire assembly including the springs so I don't have to do the work of reusing the old spring. I am having trouble finding out which strut to go with to be as close to original as possible. Genuine parts are simply too pricey.

I have read some forums of people stating they purchased KYB and that they later learned they were gas shocks and rode very rough.

I am trying to figure out who manufactures the original shocks and if they are gas or not.

Any direction would be much appreciated.
Old 02-19-18, 07:35 AM
coolioe93
Driver School Candidate

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jcoy
I am going to be replacing both front struts for my 2007 Lexus RX 350 AWD.

I am considering purchasing the entire assembly including the springs so I don't have to do the work of reusing the old spring. I am having trouble finding out which strut to go with to be as close to original as possible. Genuine parts are simply too pricey.

I have read some forums of people stating they purchased KYB and that they later learned they were gas shocks and rode very rough.

I am trying to figure out who manufactures the original shocks and if they are gas or not.

Any direction would be much appreciated.
From my understanding, the original shocks are customized and manufactured by KYB and are oil filled. The aftermarket KYB are gas filled and ride very well, but are a little on the stiff side. I wouldn't recommend the whole assembly unless you're prepared to change them out every year or so. The quality of the few companies that make the full assembly is pretty questionable. I believe FCS, Sensen, and Monroe (for rears only) are the only companies that manufacture the full assembly. Also, the Full assemblies are close to the KYB gas filled ride and will not be like the original Lexus struts. I've tried Sensen Speedy struts and they were very stiff - even stiffer than the KYB's I now have. I kept the Sensens for just a couple of hours after going back to installing the KYB struts.

If you want original Lexus ride quality, then I would recommend buying the Lexus struts brand new from ebay and install just the struts only and reuse your old springs. The Lexus struts are 399 per axle on eBay plus shipping. If you are used to working on cars, then you can install them yourself. Otherwise pay a trustworthy mechanic to install them.

If you are on a budget and want an aftermarket solution, then I would recommend KYB struts for a 10%ish stiffer ride than stock or Monroe OESpectrum struts for as close to Lexus ride as possible. You will still have to use a spring compressor and reuse your old springs. Based on what I read, the KYB's should be good for 90k miles while the Monroe's usually last around 30kish.

Good luck. I just installed KYB struts on my RX330 last week and I've been very happy with the results.
The following 4 users liked this post by coolioe93:
Bajre23 (06-16-21), Bogey2 (06-10-21), jcoy (02-22-18), vesnyder (03-22-18)
Old 02-19-18, 08:09 AM
gtsnake
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why would you mess with a spring compressor if you don't have to. I'd go with the complete assembly especially if your OE springs are old and rusty. Fronts are easy to DIY. Just a bunch of bolts and your done. The rears you have to take apart half of the interior to get to them.
Old 02-19-18, 08:46 AM
coolioe93
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gtsnake
Why would you mess with a spring compressor if you don't have to. I'd go with the complete assembly especially if your OE springs are old and rusty. Fronts are easy to DIY. Just a bunch of bolts and your done. The rears you have to take apart half of the interior to get to them.

It's definitely easier to get the complete assembly, but quality and longevity is definitely a concern with the complete assemblies. If OP is okay with taking that risk, then by all means, go for the complete assembly. It will be much easier.
Old 02-19-18, 09:58 AM
jcoy
10th Gear

Thank you guys. I purchased the KYB struts and went with Beck Arnley parts for the lower control arms and steering tie rods that were needed. By the way I found that CARid.com has great prices and they will give you 10% off for military or first responders. So I got a great deal on parts. I am debating doing the work myself for the fun and experience. If I do Ill share on here how it goes.
Old 02-22-18, 01:29 PM
jcoy
10th Gear

I do have another question. Do you all know where i can locate a diagram for torque specs for the struts, lower control arm and steering tie rods for my 2007 Lexus RX 350 AWD?
Old 02-22-18, 02:47 PM
FloorJack
Rookie

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I forget what thread exactly but someone stated in a previous thread that the front strut springs are hard to work with using a typical spring compressor that you'd get from an auto parts store.

Is this true?
Old 02-22-18, 02:49 PM
jcoy
10th Gear

Originally Posted by FloorJack
I forget what thread exactly but someone stated in a previous thread that the front strut springs are hard to work with using a typical spring compressor that you'd get from an auto parts store.

Is this true?
Ill tell you after this weekend ha ha. Was looking to borrow one from Autozone. Unless someone else replies. That is what I plan to do. Actually plan to rent 2 so i can put 4 clamps on to be extra careful.
Old 02-22-18, 02:52 PM
FloorJack
Rookie

Definitely.

Good luck.
Old 02-22-18, 02:57 PM
jcoy
10th Gear

Originally Posted by FloorJack
Definitely.

Good luck.
Thanks! I am actually dealing with a car that was hit on the passenger side. So I have a bent strut and bent tie rod. Its going to be a fun project. Just hoping I don't uncover anything else. Also replacing the lower control arms. I am actually refreshing both sides of all suspension parts that I am replacing on the damaged side. Bent Tie Rod
Bent Strut
Old 02-22-18, 03:06 PM
FloorJack
Rookie

Doesn't look too bad...

(But you never know until you start taking it apart)

Old 02-22-18, 06:10 PM
cookie4u
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jcoy
Ill tell you after this weekend ha ha. Was looking to borrow one from Autozone. Unless someone else replies. That is what I plan to do. Actually plan to rent 2 so i can put 4 clamps on to be extra careful.
I swapped out all the struts on my 02 Camry XLE with new KYB's, bump stops and bellows about a year and a half ago. Bought the spring compressors from Harbor Freight and reused the original strut mounts. Really not that bad of a job. Sure, you are putting stored energy into the springs and need to be mindfull of the risks, but it's not that bad. Make sure the spring compressors are at 180 degrees opposite one another on the spring and take your time compressing to make sure you have even compression and you will be fine. You really don't need to compress all that much to remove the old strut and install the new. If you live in the rust belt like I do, be prepared to deal with issues removing the stabilizers. I had to cut my old ones off and install new.
Old 02-23-18, 05:37 AM
edwardh11
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by coolioe93
From my understanding, the original shocks are customized and manufactured by KYB and are oil filled. The aftermarket KYB are gas filled and ride very well, but are a little on the stiff side. I wouldn't recommend the whole assembly unless you're prepared to change them out every year or so. The quality of the few companies that make the full assembly is pretty questionable. I believe FCS, Sensen, and Monroe (for rears only) are the only companies that manufacture the full assembly. Also, the Full assemblies are close to the KYB gas filled ride and will not be like the original Lexus struts. I've tried Sensen Speedy struts and they were very stiff - even stiffer than the KYB's I now have. I kept the Sensens for just a couple of hours after going back to installing the KYB struts.

If you want original Lexus ride quality, then I would recommend buying the Lexus struts brand new from ebay and install just the struts only and reuse your old springs. The Lexus struts are 399 per axle on eBay plus shipping. If you are used to working on cars, then you can install them yourself. Otherwise pay a trustworthy mechanic to install them.

If you are on a budget and want an aftermarket solution, then I would recommend KYB struts for a 10%ish stiffer ride than stock or Monroe OESpectrum struts for as close to Lexus ride as possible. You will still have to use a spring compressor and reuse your old springs. Based on what I read, the KYB's should be good for 90k miles while the Monroe's usually last around 30kish.

Good luck. I just installed KYB struts on my RX330 last week and I've been very happy with the results.
what does $399 per axle mean?
for example for front is that $399 total for both front sides, or is that $798 for the two front?
Old 02-23-18, 10:57 AM
coolioe93
Driver School Candidate

I would recommend buying the strut compressor from Harbor Freight. They have a single action clamshell design that I believe is superior and safer than the ones you rent from Autozone. Buying it and selling it later locally for 30ish bucks sets you back $40 which I believe is more than worth the peace of mind and safety you get with it
Old 02-23-18, 11:13 AM
jcoy
10th Gear

Do any of you know where I can find the torque specs, preferably with a diagram for the bolts in relation to the struts, lower control arms and tie rods for my 2007 Lexus RX 350 AWD?

Quick Reply: 2007 Lexus RX 350 AWD Front Strut Replacement