RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

High intensity bulb

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-17, 06:39 PM
AQuarles
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High intensity bulb

My wife has 2007 Rx350. The head lights (low beams) are not working. The dealer says that model has "high intensity bulb" $750 to replace. Do I have to replace the HI bulb with an HI bulb or can I opt for a less expensive halogen?
Old 08-03-17, 07:52 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

High intensity usually means HID. On your car, does the low beam have a lens to it or can you see the bulb? If it has a lens, its HID if not then it halogen. They are NOT interchangeable nor will the plugs fit each other.

$750 sounds like a whole new headlight assembly, have you checked to see if it is just the bulb thats burnt?
Old 08-03-17, 08:32 PM
JoeInHNL
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Lexus gets about $175 each for the HID bulbs. It is a D2S bulb. Many cheaper alternatives on Amazon, personally I would stick with Phillips or Osram.

Replacing them is supposed to be very fiddly. If you cannot do it yourself find an independent mechanic who will install a more reasonably priced bulb.
Old 08-04-17, 09:13 AM
bigboss
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You will need to replace it with another HID bulb. Any brand will work but the more expensive one are will be truer to the color rating.

OEM bulbs are about $180. I think Lexus sells it for $220 last time I check. I'm running Morimoto hid bulbs on my RX and it gives me the colors I want (5500k white with a hint of blue on the edges). If you choose the cheaper ebay route, the colors are usually off.

Last edited by bigboss; 08-04-17 at 11:40 AM.
Old 08-04-17, 05:28 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

I come from a background of cheap PnP HID kits and generic HID bulbs. Stay away from them in your Lexus or any car. They not only harm the ballast but hurt the reflector bowls in your housing. I took the gamble on my Camry and lost which I replace with a proper HID retrofit using quality stuff. Stick to trusted sources for Philips or Osram bulbs as there are many fakes on the internet. A legit pair should be easily $120.
Old 01-29-18, 07:26 AM
Kishanptl1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JoeInHNL
Lexus gets about $175 each for the HID bulbs. It is a D2S bulb. Many cheaper alternatives on Amazon, personally I would stick with Phillips or Osram.

Replacing them is supposed to be very fiddly. If you cannot do it yourself find an independent mechanic who will install a more reasonably priced bulb.
Are the HIDs xenon or halogens? I have been trying to find some brighter replacements for my 2007 RX 350. The LEDs in D2S size are way to expensive... $100+. Also do you have any recommendations for the High Beams/DRL bulb replacements? I want to add LEDSs, but I dont know if the LEDs will support DRL very well.
Old 01-30-18, 01:20 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kishanptl1
Are the HIDs xenon or halogens? I have been trying to find some brighter replacements for my 2007 RX 350. The LEDs in D2S size are way to expensive... $100+. Also do you have any recommendations for the High Beams/DRL bulb replacements? I want to add LEDSs, but I dont know if the LEDs will support DRL very well.
HID's are/sometimes called xenon.

You can put LED's where the high beams/DRL is but it comes with caveats. I have LED high beams on my Camry which I disabled DRL for as I'm not doing it for looks, the LED smokes halogen in brightness. But you can defeat the DRL PWM signal by putting big caps between the LED and the factory plug, only thing is this will run your LED's at full intensity and blind people which I did during experimentation. Or you could buy weak LEDs and with a cap will work as a DRL and semi-high beam.
Old 01-30-18, 04:22 PM
Kishanptl1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexuswiz
HID's are/sometimes called xenon.

You can put LED's where the high beams/DRL is but it comes with caveats. I have LED high beams on my Camry which I disabled DRL for as I'm not doing it for looks, the LED smokes halogen in brightness. But you can defeat the DRL PWM signal by putting big caps between the LED and the factory plug, only thing is this will run your LED's at full intensity and blind people which I did during experimentation. Or you could buy weak LEDs and with a cap will work as a DRL and semi-high beam.
I thought about doing that, I have spent time researching other 2nd Gen RX owners set up, but I havent found many owners giving out their set up. Their are kits that help with the conversation, but it is difenetly an expensive upgrade to get better lighting. I have also tired to find HID led setups, but reliable kits start around $150+. I would like the have the DRL for that added safety, and to be seen on the road.
Old 01-30-18, 04:47 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

I thought about doing that, I have spent time researching other 2nd Gen RX owners set up, but I havent found many owners giving out their set up. Their are kits that help with the conversation, but it is difenetly an expensive upgrade to get better lighting. I have also tired to find HID led setups, but reliable kits start around $150+. I would like the have the DRL for that added safety, and to be seen on the road.
Most likely because they either couldn't defeat the PWM signal or by defeating it, it was blinding. Reason I had to disable DRL on my Camry. I also personally would not recommend LED D2S bulbs as LED's don't play well in HID/halogen reflectors and deserve their own projectors but I still see people throwing LED kits into their projectors.... it's your money.
Old 01-30-18, 05:06 PM
Kishanptl1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexuswiz
Most likely because they either couldn't defeat the PWM signal or by defeating it, it was blinding. Reason I had to disable DRL on my Camry. I also personally would not recommend LED D2S bulbs as LED's don't play well in HID/halogen reflectors and deserve their own projectors but I still see people throwing LED kits into their projectors.... it's your money.
Yea, I think I will stick with Xenons for the HIDS, but I definitely want to get 8000K leds for the high beams. I am willing to spend money on those just for the looks... but will definitely need to research more and get other fellow RX owners thoughts about their mod.
Old 01-31-18, 09:56 AM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Yea, I think I will stick with Xenons for the HIDS, but I definitely want to get 8000K leds for the high beams. I am willing to spend money on those just for the looks... but will definitely need to research more and get other fellow RX owners thoughts about their mod.
Drop me a PM, I'd be glad to help, I work with a lot of Toyota's and Lexus' I could probably or already have have figured it out.
Old 01-05-19, 10:18 AM
wbcejc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What way is suggested to replace the low beam headlight bulbs on a 2004 Lexus LS430 ? Do you remove the headlight assembly or do you work from behind the headflight from top of car? Thank you
Old 01-06-19, 08:02 AM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Originally Posted by wbcejc
What way is suggested to replace the low beam headlight bulbs on a 2004 Lexus LS430 ? Do you remove the headlight assembly or do you work from behind the headflight from top of car? Thank you
You probably want to hop over to the LS subforum instead of this RX one: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...2001-2006-158/

But, I have replaced the HID bulbs in a 2006 Lexus LS430 with AFS, this is the facelifted Gen 3. You don't need to remove the whole assemble but if you can, it's very easy to work on. If you keep it on, a lot of the plastic covers have to come off to even access the headlamp area.
Old 01-06-19, 12:38 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 166 Posts

Dont do 8000k the higher you go the more light you loose, 5500k 6000k looks super clean. Also you need to put a projector in your light housing if you are going to run HID's or LED's it 1. Wont project the light properly making your vision worse and 2. It is going to blind other drivers at night making it hard to see for them possibly causing accidents.

HID lights project light the farthest, LEDs "puddle" light in front and halogens are well halogens, 4300k is the optimum light frequency for the human eye to physically see that is that is why I recommended going with 5500-6000

Last edited by 05ls430518; 01-06-19 at 12:43 PM.
Old 01-06-19, 12:58 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by 05ls430518
Dont do 8000k the higher you go the more light you loose, 5500k 6000k looks super clean. Also you need to put a projector in your light housing if you are going to run HID's or LED's it 1. Wont project the light properly making your vision worse and 2. It is going to blind other drivers at night making it hard to see for them possibly causing accidents.

HID lights project light the farthest, LEDs "puddle" light in front and halogens are well halogens, 4300k is the optimum light frequency for the human eye to physically see that is that is why I recommended going with 5500-6000
Say what? The 8000K is the color temperature on the Kelvin scale. It has nothing to do with the amount of light that is measured in lumens. The two are independent.

Quick Reply: High intensity bulb