RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

AC Bad Odors Easy Fix

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-17, 10:56 PM
5W40
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Default AC Bad Odors Easy Fix

This method I test on my both Lexus and it works very well.

1: Clean air vent ducts near windshield under hood.

2: Check Cabin Air Filter behind glove box, Clean or replace it with carbon or pollen media filter as your like.

3: Clean evaporator with foaming cleaner, I brought two cans around $10 from Home Depot, one can is good for two car or one car two times. a 3-4 feet 3/16" PVC tube used

Carefully run PVC tube through between the blower fins and slowly push tube in until it can't go further. you may need test couple times to FEEL the tube head is against evaporator or something. Be careful dealing with blower fins!

How many foaming you need is really depends, Half can for each car works well for me. Release foaming slowly but steadily.

Start engine and open all windows, Set at highest temperature run blower at max speed for at least 5 mins and you may need do this a few times to drive away foaming's artificial smell.

4: Auto mode Turn off AC only few blocks away from home or office and let blower dry the evaporator a bit before parking.

Enjoy fresh air all the time.

Last edited by 5W40; 05-19-17 at 07:52 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by 5W40:
BlackLexRX (05-19-17), joedaddy1 (05-24-17), LRX05 (01-10-18)
Old 05-19-17, 05:41 AM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

Nice. I figured I might try something into there whenever I do my filter next. So the foam and gunk just drips down the condensate drain ports? Foam smell go away pretty quickly?
Old 05-19-17, 08:04 AM
5W40
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackLexRX
Nice. I figured I might try something into there whenever I do my filter next. So the foam and gunk just drips down the condensate drain ports? Foam smell go away pretty quickly?
Yes, wait a few seconds or so you can see they are out of drain hole underneath [some car have two drain holes, the passenger side has more out than driver side], Foam smell will fade within a few days just like most auto ac spray cleaner.
Old 06-12-17, 09:50 AM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 5W40
Yes, wait a few seconds or so you can see they are out of drain hole underneath [some car have two drain holes, the passenger side has more out than driver side], Foam smell will fade within a few days just like most auto ac spray cleaner.
OK, did this today, and what a difference. Used that exact product FM Home Depot. Did it just a little different, so I thought I'd share. Remove lower right passenger side console cover. Two plastic clips and gently peel back carpet there. Once removed you will see condenser drain tube beginning and where it connects to bottom metal pipe of condenser. I sprayed up that metal pipe which covered condenser with foam directly. Also sprayed some down outlet rubber hose. Reconnected, started car with AC full blast, outside air. Immediately noticed foamy dirty water under car...had been just barely dripping before. Really flowing now. Opened hood and pried off air inlet covers. Sprayed foam into those. More came out bottom. AC noticeably colder. Switched to recirc, ran awhile, then fresh air plus heat, then heat with recirc, etc. AC system running like new. Just thought I'd share as removing that lower panel and Carpet gives direct access to condenser.
The following users liked this post:
mdbrown (06-12-17)
Old 06-12-17, 10:21 AM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackLexRX
OK, did this today, and what a difference. Used that exact product FM Home Depot. Did it just a little different, so I thought I'd share. Remove lower right passenger side console cover. Two plastic clips and gently peel back carpet there. Once removed you will see condenser drain tube beginning and where it connects to bottom metal pipe of condenser. I sprayed up that metal pipe which covered condenser with foam directly. Also sprayed some down outlet rubber hose. Reconnected, started car with AC full blast, outside air. Immediately noticed foamy dirty water under car...had been just barely dripping before. Really flowing now. Opened hood and pried off air inlet covers. Sprayed foam into those. More came out bottom. AC noticeably colder. Switched to recirc, ran awhile, then fresh air plus heat, then heat with recirc, etc. AC system running like new. Just thought I'd share as removing that lower panel and Carpet gives direct access to condenser.
You mean the evaporator yes? My system works very well and no odors so I may wait on this but thanks for the writeup.
Old 06-12-17, 10:29 AM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mdbrown
You mean the evaporator yes? My system works very well and no odors so I may wait on this but thanks for the writeup.
yes. Once you remove panel, it's right there so no need to snake through system. Mine smelled and didn't drain much at bottom of car. Lots of water now. Product from OP is 5$ and change at home Depot. Compare to $$$ for the Toyota specific cleaner.
Old 06-14-17, 09:54 AM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 41 Posts

thanks for the tip...will b doing this soon
Old 01-10-18, 11:56 PM
FloorJack
Rookie

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Bookmarking this! Thanks!
Old 01-11-18, 06:23 AM
gtsnake
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great info.

Just one question. Are we trying to clean just the evaporator or foam the entire volume of the HVAC chamber? In which case I'd need to move the tube around to hit all the areas.