RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Removing Oxidation From Chrome Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-17, 12:01 PM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Removing Oxidation From Chrome Wheels

I was getting tired of the oxidation on my chrome OE wheels, so today I decided to do something about it. The procedure I used was:
1. Wipe rims clean with soapy water using a micro-fibre towel.
2. Ball up aluminum foil and wet it with diet soda.
3. Scrub wheels with wet aluminum foil. Yes, aluminum foil. It works great and does not scratch the chrome finish, just be sure to keep it wet with cola and use light to medium pressure. Any cola will do, I used cheap Safeway diet cola.
4. Final wipe with a clean, dry micro-fibre towel.
This procedure is for chrome wheels. Do not try on painted or any other type of wheel surface as it will scratch. Aluminum foil feels abrasive on chrome but does not scratch at all. I have not tried it yet on plastic chrome covered surfaces such as trim around grill opening as I need to do some research first. No power tools or polish of any kind was used. Finished product picture looks like some of the wheel has grit left on it, but if you look closely, that is the mirror reflection of stones and grit on garage floor here in our ski area commercial garage!
Attached Thumbnails Removing Oxidation From Chrome Wheels-imag0438.jpg   Removing Oxidation From Chrome Wheels-imag0439.jpg   Removing Oxidation From Chrome Wheels-imag0441.jpg   Removing Oxidation From Chrome Wheels-imag0444.jpg  
Old 04-22-17, 01:12 PM
toyoman29
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks great, I usually use never dull in a can, it's like cotton fiber material and it works good. I thinking on getting mine painted gun metal grey color like on my IS250.
Old 04-22-17, 01:36 PM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by toyoman29
Looks great, I usually use never dull in a can, it's like cotton fiber material and it works good. I thinking on getting mine painted gun metal grey color like on my IS250.
Thanks. Works great, on a nothing budget, and no polish. I hear you on the gunmetal grey too. More closely aligned with current wheel trends IMO. I even like the look of some of the satin bronze wheel colors against black paint. Tirerack website has a nice feature where you can put an RX that actually looks real with OE paint colors and try different wheels to see what looks good. Good luck with yours, if you paint them, please post.