RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Luggage/ Cargo Lights: No power?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-17, 09:22 AM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Luggage/ Cargo Lights: No power?

Replacing interior lights with LED, all went fine although the 3- Luggage/ Cargo lights are not functioning, checked with a Multimeter receiving only 0.25 Volts at the connector & within the bulb housing.
Dome Lights are functioning, according to the manual these lights are all powered by the same fuse (DOME) which is fine.
I know the Glove Box light only functions when the lights are on...Is there something I am missing with these cargo lights?
I would imagine they are hot as the Dome light since the Cargo lights have a switch.
Old 04-21-17, 10:06 AM
nwfsnake
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

LEDs are not like incandescents in that they have a polarity requirement. Flip them and see if they work. Cheap LEDs do not have
circuit protection and will blow if you insert them incorrectly. Good luck!
Old 04-21-17, 11:27 AM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

Actually should have mentioned the original incandescent bulbs were not functioning either & I am aware of the polarity thing for LEDs.
I did reverse some LEDs in other places although they did not blow, I reversed them & they were fine.
Old 04-21-17, 11:54 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RX330AWD
Actually should have mentioned the original incandescent bulbs were not functioning either & I am aware of the polarity thing for LEDs.
I did reverse some LEDs in other places although they did not blow, I reversed them & they were fine.
Wouldn't the light be switched by tail gate opening and closing?
Old 04-21-17, 12:40 PM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

Originally Posted by Htony
Wouldn't the light be switched by tail gate opening and closing?
I did have the tailgate open to install the bulbs & test with a Multimeter. Tried with ignition on, nothing, lights on, nothing.
Each Cargo light has an independent on/ off switch, the switch was on ON position, all the contacts & mechanism in the housing seem to work fine.
Old 04-21-17, 01:06 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

I did have the tailgate open to install the bulbs & test with a Multimeter. Tried with ignition on, nothing, lights on, nothing.
Each Cargo light has an independent on/ off switch, the switch was on ON position, all the contacts & mechanism in the housing seem to work fine.
Then loose wiring or connector pins or loose crimping on the wire on the pin.
Old 04-21-17, 01:17 PM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

What is unusual is all 3 Cargo lights with no power, if at least 2 were functioning it would be easier to focus on the only one to repair.
Old 04-21-17, 06:28 PM
NVAKeith
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I think they only come on when the hatch is open. Where is the switch that tells them the hatch is open maybe that's not functioning? Maybe the switch is built into the latch? Do you get an indicator on the instrument cluster indicating the hatch is open when it is?
The following users liked this post:
05RX330AWD (04-22-17)
Old 04-22-17, 02:50 AM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

Originally Posted by NVAKeith
I think they only come on when the hatch is open. Where is the switch that tells them the hatch is open maybe that's not functioning? Maybe the switch is built into the latch? Do you get an indicator on the instrument cluster indicating the hatch is open when it is?
Good point, always thought there was no indicator on the instrument cluster for the tailgate, as all the other doors are indicated if open. Hopefully the switch is accessible as part the Latch Assembly & possibly the switch contacts can be adjusted, if not, I could live without the Cargo lights.

Last edited by 05RX330AWD; 04-22-17 at 04:36 AM.
Old 04-22-17, 05:24 AM
RedGemini
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Just curious... did the cargo lights work before the hatch glass and wiper motor were replaced? I think they did... wink, wink. LOL
Old 04-22-17, 06:03 AM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

Originally Posted by RedGemini
Just curious... did the cargo lights work before the hatch glass and wiper motor were replaced? I think they did... wink, wink. LOL
I never was one to push my luck, always quit while you are ahead, although the odds are better than average the cargo lights did not function then since the power tailgate is also an issue, most likely related electronically with the non function of the cargo lights.
I am now assuming that the RX does not recognize if the hatch is opened or closed.
Old 04-22-17, 06:29 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

I never was one to push my luck, always quit while you are ahead, although the odds are better than average the cargo lights did not function then since the power tailgate is also an issue, most likely related electronically with the non function of the cargo lights.
I am now assuming that the RX does not recognize if the hatch is opened or closed.
That could be electronic sensor type switch rather than typical mechanical switch. Gotta find the location of it. If they worked on the tail gate, maybe they unknowingly
left out some wiring harness or connector misplaced(not put back to where it belongs). Time for a wiring schematics off service manual, even a block diagram to get
the idea. Usually ground wire is common to all lights and switch controls 12V DC to each light. Floating ground wire?
Old 04-22-17, 07:25 AM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

Exactly what I was thinking, I have no schematics or other info which would certainly help.
I did notice the doors all lock automatically when the tailgate is open for about 10 seconds.
Hopefully that is normal & something positive to build on.. will check the connections & ground.
Old 04-22-17, 07:36 AM
RedGemini
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Exactly what I was thinking, I have no schematics or other info which would certainly help.
I did notice the doors all lock automatically when the tailgate is open for about 10 seconds.
Hopefully that is normal & something positive to build on.. will check the connections & ground.
Interesting. Mine doesn't do that. Are you referring to unlocking with the remote, and only opening the hatch, that the doors will lock after a short time? If so, that tells me it doesn't know the hatch is open.
Have you opened the hatch to see if light in the cluster indicates it's open? It'll be shown as a red bar across the back/bottom of the vehicle diagram.
Old 04-22-17, 09:13 AM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

Originally Posted by RedGemini
Interesting. Mine doesn't do that. Are you referring to unlocking with the remote, and only opening the hatch, that the doors will lock after a short time? If so, that tells me it doesn't know the hatch is open.
Have you opened the hatch to see if light in the cluster indicates it's open? It'll be shown as a red bar across the back/bottom of the vehicle diagram.
Actually no remote, I just open the tailgate manually & in 10 seconds or so the doors close automatically.
I did check the Back Door with Techstream, no codes (Photo 1),
Live data with Techstream indicates the tailgate is closed when closed (Photo 2) & opened when open (Photo 3) which makes this issue more confusing.....
no indication for the tailgate open appears on the instrument panel, only for the other doors if open, as you mentioned the RX doesn't seem to recognize the tailgate is opened.
Attached Thumbnails Luggage/ Cargo Lights: No power?-codes.jpg   Luggage/ Cargo Lights: No power?-activetest.jpg   Luggage/ Cargo Lights: No power?-activetest2.jpg  

Last edited by 05RX330AWD; 04-22-17 at 12:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Luggage/ Cargo Lights: No power?