RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX350 underseat sub (2008)

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-17, 11:33 AM
lexisaurus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX350 underseat sub (2008)

Hey folks. Is anyone using an underseat sub. I'm thinking of a sub with a height of 2.6".... clearance of the seats seems pretty low... of course I can measure but just checking to see if other had?
Old 04-09-17, 10:23 PM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lexisaurus
Hey folks. Is anyone using an underseat sub. I'm thinking of a sub with a height of 2.6".... clearance of the seats seems pretty low... of course I can measure but just checking to see if other had?
Yes. I purchased and installed a small Kenwood sub-woofer. This was four years ago and I do not remember model number, but it seemed at the time to be the only one that fit. I believe it is the one described here:
Amazon Amazon
It fits under the driver's seat, not the passenger's where there is a 'bar' that is lower under that seat.
It doesn't do miracles, but when set a touch less than 'mid' levels, it does allow the basic sound system in my 2009RX350 to be just 'listenable to' which it was not before the installation. I am not a fan of huge booming bass, so I set the bass quite low. Even so, the bass is not very 'clean' but at least it is there and not annoying. Also, you can increase/decrease the bass using the controls of the radio, rather than using the wired remote that comes with the unit, which is convenient..
As I wrote above: it is not a miracle. But I would do it again. In summary: Recommended.
Good luck!
Old 04-10-17, 09:42 AM
lexisaurus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pauljcl
Yes. I purchased and installed a small Kenwood sub-woofer. This was four years ago and I do not remember model number, but it seemed at the time to be the only one that fit. I believe it is the one described here:
https://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-KSC-S.../dp/B00BO8O9XQ
It fits under the driver's seat, not the passenger's where there is a 'bar' that is lower under that seat.
It doesn't do miracles, but when set a touch less than 'mid' levels, it does allow the basic sound system in my 2009RX350 to be just 'listenable to' which it was not before the installation. I am not a fan of huge booming bass, so I set the bass quite low. Even so, the bass is not very 'clean' but at least it is there and not annoying. Also, you can increase/decrease the bass using the controls of the radio, rather than using the wired remote that comes with the unit, which is convenient..
As I wrote above: it is not a miracle. But I would do it again. In summary: Recommended.
Good luck!

Hey thanks. Yup I discovered the bar under the passenger seat today I don't have the sub yet... it's a Cerwin Vega which is a bit more powerful than the Kendwood. It's actually a tiny bit shorter too @ 2.56" height but it is wider and deeper as well 13.58" X 9.65" vs. Kenwoods 11" X 7.5". I don't have the sub yet but I think I'll try and construct a box first of same dimensions so I don't have to open the box to check fit.
Old 06-20-17, 10:48 AM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by pauljcl
https://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-KSC-S.../dp/B00BO8O9XQ
Good luck!
How did you get signal to the sub?