RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

HD Radio

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-17, 09:50 PM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default HD Radio

Trying out a MB, I listened to HD radio. Great - particularly here in Miami where it is difficult to get classical music. I discovered the BMW had it - I 'clicked' it on .. and - yes - great!
Unfortunately my 2009 RX350 - 'normal' sound system - does not have HD radio and, as I read various posts and google results, it appears I will soon be the only remaining human to want HD radio !!). Has anyone installed - CAN one install - an adapter that gives HD radio, or must I get one the very few portable units and use an FM broadcast connector?
I have fund one that might fit - probably out of production but very few stores have very few units left - the JVC KTHDPK1. Does anyone know it? Is it any good? Can it be connected/wired to my sound system?
Is changing the entire radio/CD unit a reasonable option? How difficult would it be to install given the 'custom' Lexus look?
Thank you for any advice you can provide!
Old 04-03-17, 11:02 PM
viffer
Driver School Candidate

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pauljcl
Trying out a MB, I listened to HD radio. Great - particularly here in Miami where it is difficult to get classical music. I discovered the BMW had it - I 'clicked' it on .. and - yes - great!
Unfortunately my 2009 RX350 - 'normal' sound system - does not have HD radio and, as I read various posts and google results, it appears I will soon be the only remaining human to want HD radio !!). Has anyone installed - CAN one install - an adapter that gives HD radio, or must I get one the very few portable units and use an FM broadcast connector?
I have fund one that might fit - probably out of production but very few stores have very few units left - the JVC KTHDPK1. Does anyone know it? Is it any good? Can it be connected/wired to my sound system?
Is changing the entire radio/CD unit a reasonable option? How difficult would it be to install given the 'custom' Lexus look?
Thank you for any advice you can provide!
Paul, HD radio is part of the stereo head unit...there are no adapters. I just installed a Pioneer 4200NEX to my 2004 RX330, which includes HD Radio, Pandora and bluetooth. I understand your excitement in regards to the HD Radio...the reception is certainly much clearer than standard radio. However, I normally just listen to Pandora or music saved on my USB or phone via bluetooth.

I made a step by step video on how I installed the aftermarket stereo, if you are interested in watching it, check out the below thread I started:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ight-dome.html
Old 04-04-17, 06:52 AM
takeshi74
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

There are certainly aftermarket HD radio receivers that can connect to factory stereo systems. PAC Audio, for example has one. However, the receiver requires a vehicle specific interface so by the time you've purchased both and any necessary harnesses you might be better off with an aftermarket stereo. I haven't carefully compared but you can certainly do your homework. Take a look at the usual aftermarket solution companies and don't overlook existing discussions.
Old 04-04-17, 08:21 AM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by viffer
Paul, HD radio is part of the stereo head unit...there are no adapters. I just installed a Pioneer 4200NEX to my 2004 RX330, which includes HD Radio, Pandora and bluetooth. I understand your excitement in regards to the HD Radio...the reception is certainly much clearer than standard radio. However, I normally just listen to Pandora or music saved on my USB or phone via bluetooth.

I made a step by step video on how I installed the aftermarket stereo, if you are interested in watching it, check out the below thread I started:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ight-dome.html
Thank you very much for the link to the video and the advice. It is too complicated for me. But I must congratulate you on the work you did. Very impressive.
Old 04-04-17, 08:27 AM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by takeshi74
There are certainly aftermarket HD radio receivers that can connect to factory stereo systems. PAC Audio, for example has one. However, the receiver requires a vehicle specific interface so by the time you've purchased both and any necessary harnesses you might be better off with an aftermarket stereo. I haven't carefully compared but you can certainly do your homework. Take a look at the usual aftermarket solution companies and don't overlook existing discussions.
I think I will abandon the project. Cost and complication is too much.
I have ordered - still to receive - a small 'portable' HD radio that I can use at home and I will try it in the car - curious about reception quality. If it does work well in the car, I will just use an FM adapter (the HD radio has a 3.5mm plug output). Most of the time, I am not alone in the car and the radio is off..... Reminds me of when I was young in Europe - had a Fiat 600D and I used a portable radio fixed up above the rear-view mirror to listen to....
Again, thank you to all for your useful ad well-thought-out comments.
The nuclear option, of course, is to buy a new car.....