RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-16, 12:26 PM
codysmith5
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting problem

THE PROBLEM:

wife went shopping after work. Car started and drove fine. When she went to start it after shopping it did nothing. When you flip the switch to on all lights, dash, and radio components work. As soon as you turn the switch all the way to try and start it everything goes black, dash, lights and radio all go black. And stay that way as long as you have the key turned all the way. As soon as you release the key everything comes back on to normal. You can hear a small SINGLE click when you turn the key.

But heres the confusing part. I let it sit overnight and went to try and start it...started perfect. I let it run for about 5 minutes and cut it off. Tried to restart it immediately and back to the same problem.

I have had the battery and alternative tested and both are perfect. I have replaced the ignition switch, and the starter relay. Also have checked all fuses and all check out fine.

The single click when trying to start is coming from under the steering column somewhere.

Any suggestions? I am pretty handy with cars and would like to try and fix this myself since I just replaced the timing belt and all components 2 weeks ago.
Old 09-24-16, 05:17 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

How old is the battery? Could be the Starter contacts in the starter assembly, but normally you would hear click, but no start. The contacts and solenoid parts can be found on Amazon for cheap....But I am still suspect the battery has intermittent shorted cell.
Old 09-25-16, 09:21 AM
aachowhan
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Sounds like it could be the starter to me. What happens when the engine warms up it warms up the starter too and that causes solenoid to stick on the starter. That faint clicking sound might be the solenoid not being able to push that plunger out. Anyway, see if the scenario fits. If it starts up just fine when cold but when warm it quits, then I would say you need a new starter. Also try listening for a faint whirring or electric motor sound. Get OEM here, I cheaped out a few years ago on my camry and had to replace it again a month later, good thing they took it back.

Good news is they are easy to replace, so if you are a DIY guy or handy with a wrench I'd say even somewhat beginner can fix this.

This video is for the RX330 with the 3.3L V6:
Starter Replacement: Toyota / Lexus - YouTube

This video is for the Sienna with the 3.5L V6, should be very similar to the RX350:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uqNuF9NO98

Last edited by aachowhan; 09-25-16 at 09:26 AM.
Old 09-26-16, 03:15 AM
Braz60
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had a starting issue on my daughters Acura TSX and it turned out to be the ground wire connection from the battery to the car was rusted and corroded. Cleaned and replaced screw holding
ground wire.
Just a thought!