RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX330 Vehicle Training

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-03, 10:44 AM
CDN_Lexus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX330 Vehicle Training (RX vs. competition)

Next, Wednesday I will be flying to Vancouver for RX330 training for a couple of days. I will be able to put the RX330 through its paces along with a group of vehicles considered to be its chief competitors ( Acura MDX, Infiniti FX35, Volvo XC90, Mercedes Benz ML350, BMW X5 3.0, and the Lincoln Aviator) . I will, of course, be posting a full report on the results and my impressions of each when I get back.

I know, I know, it's a tough job.. But someone has to do it.

Last edited by CDN_Lexus; 03-27-03 at 04:54 PM.
Old 03-13-03, 11:08 AM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Take me with you!

I hope you enjoy and maybe have some time to snap a few photos.

Last edited by LexRX; 03-13-03 at 11:09 AM.
Old 03-13-03, 11:17 AM
anonymous
Pit Crew

Yes photos will be great I hope there will be some RX 330s in different colors there.
Old 03-15-03, 10:52 PM
MyRX
Driver School Candidate

How does one sign-up for this event? or is it by invitation only? BTW I'm in Vancouver!
Please let me know. Thanks.
Old 03-17-03, 10:26 AM
CDN_Lexus
Pole Position

Unfortunately, the training (learn and drive) is limited to Lexus employees. I will however post a full report on the event upon my return.
Old 03-25-03, 01:33 PM
CDN_Lexus
Pole Position

Default The bar has been raised...again!

Last Wednesday I left Toronto to participate in a "Lexus Ride and Drive" featuring the RX330 in Vancouver. The itinerary for the next two days included in-class training and an on-site evaluation of the RX330 and, what is deemed as, its main competitors.
First we had the chance to indepently rate the vehicles on style (subjective), fit and finish, features, optional equipment, ease of access, visability, impression of quality, ergonomics, and sound system quality.
Next we had the opportunity to evaluate the 4WD/AWD systems during acceleration on a strip of material that is used for artificial ice rinks. The material was sprayed down with a soapy water solution to decrease the vehicles' traction and best illustrate the function of the different systems and also give a tactile feel of the systems at work.
We then had the opportunity to drive each of the vehicles on a closed circuit auto cross, thus allowing us the opportunity to examine acceleration, handling, evasive manuvers, and braking.
Next was an pretty muddy off road course for the RX330 and the opportunity to experiment with the rear view camera (pretty neat and very effective).
The following day had us on the same auto cross course but with IS300s to illustrate this vehicle's handling and performance ability. Finally some hot laps with professional race drives in the IS300s again.

MY IMPRESSIONS:
The new RX is once again the benchmark for this catagory. It is unsurpassed in the fit and finish, luxury appointments, quality of materials used in construction, quietness, and general public appeal. The turning circle issue has been addressed and I am pleased to report it has the tightest turning circle of the vehicles in attendance. The new RX is noticably quicker than the previous model and all the other models in the comparison with the exception of the Infiniti FX35 (which felt a little quicker). The leather is the same type used in the ES300 and LS430 (very soft and rich in texture). The rear cargo area is noticable larger (footprint) than the RX300. The Mark Levinson sound system, as expected, is stellar. A new feature, I noticed, is sound positioning for best acoustics to suit occupants ie. driver, front, rear passenger, or all settings. Multi Panel Moonroof works great and gives a very open feeling to the vehicle. All of the models have the aluminum and wood trim. California walnut in the black or grey interior and bird's eye maple in the ivory interior. I had the opportunity to see all the exterior colours as well. I drove the Sport model on the track as well as a standard suspension model and can comfortably say that there is a marked differenence in the handling capabilities. The Sport also has an access mode feature that will have the vehicle kneel to 5.9" ground clearance upon turning off the ignition if activated.
The memory system (two settings) include the driver seat (excluding lumbar), outside mirrors, and streering wheel position. The outside mirrors also can be set to dip, if desired, when the vehicle is put in reverse.
The power rear door works well and gives off a warning tone when it is activated (can be actived off key or instrument panel). It also features jam protection.
The climate control system now is dual mode, meaning the driver and front passenger can set temperatures independantly. The heated seat controls are now similar to the ones used in the LS430 and can be set from 86 F to 108 F (30 C to 42 C).
The new four-wheel drive system for the 330 is simpler and lighter than the one used in the 300. During normal (no slip) driving, torque is split 50/50 front to rear. Like the RX300, the RX330 uses a centre differential to split engine power evenly between the front and rear wheels. The RX330 , however, uses all open differentials.
If wheelslip occurs, VSC and TRAC re-distribute engine power front-to-rear and side-to-side, eliminating the need for the viscous coupling used on the previous model.

Sorry for being so long winded. There is so much exciting changes that I could have gone on for quite a bit longer. However, if anyone has a specific question regarding the RX330 or any of the above mentioned vehicles I will do my best to answer your inquiry.

Thanks for listening.

Last edited by CDN_Lexus; 03-25-03 at 05:37 PM.
Old 03-25-03, 01:53 PM
anonymous
Pit Crew

Can you comment more on the difference in handling between the sport RX 330 and the regular?
Old 03-25-03, 02:01 PM
anonymous
Pit Crew

Oh yeah. How does the Neptune Blue look in person?
Old 03-25-03, 02:10 PM
CDN_Lexus
Pole Position

Very nice, especially in the sun.
Old 03-25-03, 02:17 PM
anonymous
Pit Crew

Awesome CDN_Lexus can you check your PM.
Old 03-25-03, 02:21 PM
j4ydubs
Driver

Default Re: The bar has been raised...again!

Originally posted by CDN_Lexus
The Sport also has an access mode feature that will have the vehicle kneel to 5.9" ground clearance upon turning off the ignition if activated.
Thanks for the report. I glad to finally have confirmation on the above feature (kneel).

If wheelslip occurs, VSC and TRAC re-distribute engine power front-to-rear and side-to-side, eliminating the need for the viscous coupling used on the previous model.
How did the 330 do against its competitors in the traction test (both ice and mud)? What other vechicles were tested?

John
Old 03-25-03, 02:24 PM
anonymous
Pit Crew

A while back there were a lot of comments concerning the handling of the RX 330 with the 18 wheels in poor weather conditions such as snow. How did that handle on the ice?
Old 03-25-03, 02:33 PM
CDN_Lexus
Pole Position

The Sport model has three ride height settings.
1. high 8.3" ground clearance (for sppeds under 50 km/h (31 mph)
2. normal 7.1 " ground clearance (will automatically lowers to low setting @100 km/h (62 mph)
3. low 6.5" ground clearance (can be set and vehicle will remain @ this height regardless of speed

Access mode lowers the vehicle to 5.9" for ease of entry/exit.

The sport has 18" wheels, so the ride is firmer. When I drove it on the course I had it in Low mode and I felt there was noticably less body lean and I was able to navigate the turns and evasive manuvers at a quicker pace.
Old 03-25-03, 02:38 PM
CDN_Lexus
Pole Position

The traction demonstation featured a 17" wheel RX. The tires on the 18", I believe, are all seasons. So, unless we have a really bad winter or if you frequent major snow belt areas, you should be OK.
Old 03-25-03, 03:38 PM
CDN_Lexus
Pole Position

How did the 330 do against its competitors in the traction test (both ice and mud)? What other vechicles were tested?
In my opion I found the RX330 and the ML350 to have the least amount of wheel spin in acceleration.

The vehicles in the comparison were: ( Acura MDX, Infiniti FX35, Volvo XC90, Mercedes Benz ML350, BMW X5 3.0, and the Lincoln Aviator)

Quick Reply: RX330 Vehicle Training