RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

stiff steering - steering intermediate shaft sub-assy

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-14, 11:12 AM
Formula271
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default stiff steering - steering intermediate shaft sub-assy

Does anyone have any experience replacing the steering intermediate shaft sub-assy on a 2nd gen RX?

I have a "Northern climate" 2005 RX330 AWD with ~155,000 miles. I experienced a gradually worsening stiff-steering condition. Oddly, it was very intermittent and certainly worse when temp was cold. While turning, you would feel resistance, but never in the same spot, it seemed.

I suspected condition could be caused by power steering pump, loose belt, steering rack... First, I tried flushing the power steering fluid (which had never been done). Despite beautiful new fluid running thru its veins, there was no relief of the stiif steering. My rack has the common slight ooze from the p-side, but never has leaked enough to even need to add a drop of fluid (or leave any spot in my garage, for that matter). After several weeks, I finally found a post on here mentioning the same condition caused by the u-joint on the steering intermediate shaft. That poster had the dealer make the repair. Last night, I looked at the joint and, sure enough, mine was visibly rusted. While somewhat hidden, with a flashlight and spray tube, it's very accessible. With just a squirt of WD-40, the condition is completely gone. I suspect, however, that the WD-40 is temporary, at best.

Sewell has the part for $219, and I'd like to complete the permanent repair. It looks like only two bolts hold the shaft in place. Just wondering if anyone has replaced this themselves. The poster mentioned above I believe paid $640 for the repair at a Lexus dealer, so I can't imagine it's as easy as just loosening the two bolts and sliding the shaft out.
Old 04-08-14, 04:12 PM
kiwi
Lead Lap

i would hazard a guess that the steering wheel will have to be pulled, so hopefully you are comfortable handling an airbag.

once the column is removed, you should be good to go.

dont let the steering spin as you could damage the clock spring for the airbag. also each time you disconnect a part of the shaft, mark it off so it goes back together the same way, i used to use touch up paint, yellow.
Old 04-09-14, 04:19 PM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

Received 64 Likes on 17 Posts

Screw that garbage man. Those parts don't break, they simply lose lubrication. Rub some grease on the joint and you won't ever have to worry about it again.
Old 04-09-14, 04:25 PM
Formula271
Rookie

Originally Posted by HtownBlue
Screw that garbage man. Those parts don't break, they simply lose lubrication. Rub some grease on the joint and you won't ever have to worry about it again.
Really....you think I could goop it up with some grease and that would last? If I had to do that no more than once or twice per year, I could live with that.
Old 04-09-14, 04:53 PM
kiwi
Lead Lap

i would agree, as long as its not loose, i would keep it lubed and save yourself some cash and time
Old 02-09-15, 09:54 AM
Ultramiler
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check with your dealer for a TSB, I seem to remember replacing a lot of these when I worked for Lexus. It is just one bolt on the top and one bolt on the bottom that clamps around the splines on either side. Also there is a rubber boot going through the firewall.

Make sure you align your steering wheel and lock it in place then don't move your wheels or rack or else the steering will be off.

The lower part of the intermediate shaft is a lot harder to get off. I suggest spraying it with penetrating oil, wedging a chisel in the gap of where it joins together to spread it apart and you might have to hammer on the actual intermediate shaft to get it to come loose. it is exposed to water and road gunk so it can be pretty stuck on there.

You can remove it and lube it, but I believe there is a TSB to replace that part due to a faulty design.