RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Front Differential Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-13, 05:48 AM
RXPhil
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Differential Fluid

I just wanted to warn everyone. I was at my buddies shop yesterday and there was a RX330 on the hoist. I asked what happened. He said the owner didn't know that the front differential had a different casing then the transmission. So at 150,000 kilometers his diff seized up and locked up the tires on the highway!!!!!!!!

He showed me the drain and refill holes on it. I called Lexus and they told me it takes regular 75-90 gear oil.

Im not sure if its the same thing on the 350 but ill lift it up and check/change that fluid today. As when I bought my car he the PO said "We just changed the transmission fluid and rear diff fluid"............
Old 10-06-13, 06:41 AM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by RXPhil
I just wanted to warn everyone. I was at my buddies shop yesterday and there was a RX330 on the hoist. I asked what happened. He said the owner didn't know that the front differential had a different casing then the transmission. So at 150,000 kilometers his diff seized up and locked up the tires on the highway!!!!!!!!

He showed me the drain and refill holes on it. I called Lexus and they told me it takes regular 75-90 gear oil.

Im not sure if its the same thing on the 350 but ill lift it up and check/change that fluid today. As when I bought my car he the PO said "We just changed the transmission fluid and rear diff fluid"............
I belive this is for AWD cars only. The FWD models have transfer case that shares fluid with transmission.
Old 10-06-13, 07:24 AM
RXPhil
Rookie

Thanks for the clarification on that.
Old 10-06-13, 10:39 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Perhaps a difference in terminology. For both the FWD and the AWD the transmission and front differential share the Type-IV transmission fluid in that casing. However, the AWD also has a transfer case up front which needs a gear oil the same as the rear differential.
Old 10-06-13, 01:12 PM
SaneEnch
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Perhaps a difference in terminology. For both the FWD and the AWD the transmission and front differential share the Type-IV transmission fluid in that casing. However, the AWD also has a transfer case up front which needs a gear oil the same as the rear differential.
Anyone have a photo of the location of the front differential for the AWD 330? Can't seem to find it any where. I change out the transmission and the back differencial and have always believe that the transmission share the fluid with the front differential... I don't see it on the note.
Old 10-06-13, 01:46 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SaneEnch
Anyone have a photo of the location of the front differential for the AWD 330? Can't seem to find it any where. I change out the transmission and the back differencial and have always believe that the transmission share the fluid with the front differential... I don't see it on the note.
The transmission DOES share its fluid with the front differential on an AWD RX330. Again, I think you are asking about front transfer case. The front differential on the AWD is inside the transmission case so it is hard to point out. However, here is the best picture I have seen for the location of the drain and fill plugs for the front transfer case:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/6821806-post24.html

Note, even in the above URL with pictures the terminology is incorrect. They are working on the front transfer case. Here is additional information out of the Owner's Manual. Note the terminology and the types of lubrication indicated:

http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do...004rx33/63.pdf
Old 10-07-13, 03:54 AM
RXPhil
Rookie

The transmission DOES share its fluid with the front differential on an AWD RX330. Again, I think you are asking about front transfer case. The front differential on the AWD is inside the transmission case so it is hard to point out. However, here is the best picture I have seen for the location of the drain and fill plugs for the front transfer case:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/6821806-post24.html

Note, even in the above URL with pictures the terminology is incorrect. They are working on the front transfer case. Here is additional information out of the Owner's Manual. Note the terminology and the types of lubrication indicated:

http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do...004rx33/63.pdf
Edit(it was early) It was serious work to change the differential and housing. They had to order a new diff from Cali and remove the transmission from the car to get it out.

I just changed it yesterday. Looks like the parts guy at Lexus was wrong tho. The drain plug on the diff says 85-90. He also said it takes 2.5 liters but it only took 1.5 liters.

Last edited by RXPhil; 10-07-13 at 08:05 AM.
Old 10-07-13, 05:44 AM
alchemist
Instructor

My mistake I meant to say differential. Transfer cases are AWD only.
Old 10-07-13, 03:04 PM
SaneEnch
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by alchemist
My mistake I meant to say differential. Transfer cases are AWD only.
So just to be really really clear here. What I'm reading here said the following for the AWD 330:

- The Transmission that require T-VI fluids,

- There's also a Front Transfer Case in the front, which different than that of the Transmission (but it's close to it), and it use differential fluids,

- There's also a Rear Transfer Case/Differential Case that require differential fluids.

They are essentially 3 different thing. The only different for the FWD is that there is no Front Transfer Case.

Thanks ahead for the clarification.
Old 10-07-13, 06:42 PM
alchemist
Instructor

Correct transfer case is for 4 wheel drive vehicles, it takes power from the tranny and sends to front and rear axles
Old 11-07-13, 03:40 PM
SaneEnch
Driver School Candidate

Default Not finding it!

I went under the car over the weekend for an oil change and was trying to change the gear oil on the front differential on my 04 AWD Rx330 - per this thread. I completely removed the under cover and look around again and again - couldn't find the drain or the fill anywhere. I mean, ANYWHERE. I took a photo (attached), there's nothing there to fill or drain. Any idea? Am I looking at the wrong thing? or am I looking for something that don't exist?

Sorry about the photo, it was tough to take photo under the car.
Attached Thumbnails Front Differential Fluid-2013-11-03-10.57.53.jpg  
Old 11-07-13, 04:46 PM
alchemist
Instructor

Again the front diff shares fluid w tranny. So when you change tranny fluid you essentially change diff fluid
Old 11-08-13, 07:47 AM
RXPhil
Rookie

^ I assume you mean only on front wheel drive
Old 11-08-13, 08:10 AM
alchemist
Instructor

no my understanding has always been what RX330inFL stated above:

"For both the FWD and the AWD the transmission and front differential share the Type-IV transmission fluid in that casing. However, the AWD also has a transfer case up front which needs a gear oil the same as the rear differential."

Transfer case oil is what you are referring to I believe.

Here is a pic of what you should be looking for:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...e-imag0872.jpg
Old 11-08-13, 10:48 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by alchemist
no my understanding has always been what RX330inFL stated above:

"For both the FWD and the AWD the transmission and front differential share the Type-IV transmission fluid in that casing. However, the AWD also has a transfer case up front which needs a gear oil the same as the rear differential."

Transfer case oil is what you are referring to I believe.

Here is a pic of what you should be looking for:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...e-imag0872.jpg

That is correct, alchemist. I swear I am going to roll up a newspaper and smack the nose of the next pup who gets the terminology wrong. Here is the discussion regarding the front transfer case where my markup was pulled from:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...sfer-case.html

Quick Reply: Front Differential Fluid