RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

non ML stereo quality?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-13, 08:57 PM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Somewhat related to the previous messages. I have commented that I feel the bass in the RX350 non=ML, though checked out and said to be 'normal' by Lexus, is actually muddy and disappointing. I have spoken to auto-radio stores who recommend a minimum change for $1000 +, incl. changing the amp etc.... However, that would also entail having a subwoofer 'box' encumbering the rear. A little bit of research shows what may be a less expensive and encumbering solution. I have looked for subwoofers that would fit under a seat and that could be connected in some way to the amp feed of the existing system. For whoever cares, and cares to comment, the small subwoofer/amp additoins could be one of several: 1. Honda 2006 CRV Kelton (about $150-$250) - probably the same as the 5E1-010 subwoofer from the 2006 Odyssey; 2. Kenwood KSC SW11 or SW11; 3. A system by a co. called 'tightbass'; 4. Pyle PLBSS8; 5 Beat BSW8 ACT.
I have to do a little more research, incl. making sure they can easily be installed. Absent other info., I would probably gamble on the Honda system because I'm pretty sure that Honda will have verified that their sub will have been tested to survive whatever auto conditions can dish out.
Any comments or advice would be welcome. If I find this thread when I finally get this done, I'll update.....
Old 09-27-13, 06:42 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

my 2001 rx300 stereo was excellent! but my 05`s....not so much. the 01 had a sub woofer under the pass. seat though too. made a big difference in my opinion. as far as i know, these factory radio`s are made by pioneer.
Old 09-27-13, 08:38 AM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexus114
my 2001 rx300 stereo was excellent! but my 05`s....not so much. the 01 had a sub woofer under the pass. seat though too. made a big difference in my opinion. as far as i know, these factory radio`s are made by pioneer.
Yes, I had a 99 RX350 with the Nakamichi 'upgraded' sound system, and the sound was "OK" (not great, but certainly 'listenable to'). The 2009 non-ML sound is not. I'll check with the audio dealer if they have a problem fitting the Honda subwoofer and, in the event they are OK with it, will install it and - hopefully - have 'listenable' sound...
Old 10-09-13, 02:38 PM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

They do not seem to have a problem installing it, but I found an easier install and a small subwoofer that got reasonably good reviews: A Kenwood KSC SW11. I should receive it soon and will let you know how it sounds. I am not looking for window-rattling bass, just for better definition and less muddy sound. Of course, I know the basic RX350 setup will never sound great, I am just trying to make it so it is 'listenable to', which mine is not at present..
Old 10-10-13, 07:06 PM
jixxer74
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ZMan, I recently installed a new double din Kenwood in my 2007 RX350 and I found the improvement in sound quality to be noticeable. Its not sound competition by any means but with a quality deck and proper tuning, the sound is better than factory for sure. I always believed a new deck was the first step in better sound and then you move to a new amp and speakers. Kenwood is great in my opinion. Alpine is also a sound quality deck. I have have Jenson in the past and did not like its sound quality but maybe newer decks are vastly improved. Go listen to them in a stereo shop and judge for yourself. Good luck!
Old 10-12-13, 11:13 AM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Well, I have just installed the Kenwood KSC SW11 that I had mentioned. All-in cost is very reasonable: $155 for the powered sub + $75 for installation. The sound is much improved. It's not great great sound, but at least now I can listen to the radio or a CD for more than 15mns without hating it. So: really happy with having done it. Yes, I would recommend it.
Old 10-27-13, 09:55 AM
Packrat1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the Kicker hideaway powered sub HS8 installed under my front passenger seat. It is all I need and the sound is clear not muddy like some subs I have heard.
Old 10-27-13, 10:22 PM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Packrat1
I had the Kicker hideaway powered sub HS8 installed under my front passenger seat. It is all I need and the sound is clear not muddy like some subs I have heard.
The Kenwood didn't fit under the passenger seat (too high vs. the low-slung 'bar' under the seat), but it did fit nicely under the driver's seat. The Kenwood has a 'remote' (cable-connected to it) on which you set the frequency (50-150Hz) and the volume of the subwoofer. I found my sweet spot right in the middle - 100Hz and half volume. I have now caught myself turning on the radio, which I would not do previously! I am sure the Kicker is equally good or better, and, for me too, this what I need to have a quite clean bass.
Old 11-09-13, 11:55 AM
eefiasfira
Driver School Candidate

Hi
I read your post and tried to do likewise. I have a 2008 Lexus RX 350 with powered seats and the Kicker Hideaway does not fit under any of the seats. The only way to fit it barely fit under the front seat would be to raise the seat to its highest level, but then an above average height passenger sitting on the seat would have is head touch the ceiling of the car, so that's definitely not an option. How did you manage to fit this in? I guess your car does not have the power seats?
Old 11-09-13, 11:56 AM
eefiasfira
Driver School Candidate

Hi PaulJCL,
Does your RX where you fitted the Kenwood have power seats?
Old 11-09-13, 02:41 PM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by eefiasfira
Hi PaulJCL,
Does your RX where you fitted the Kenwood have power seats?
Yes -(I believe all RXs have power seats). It fits nicely (i.e. with space to spare) under the driver's seat (and I believe the Kenwood is dimensionally one of the smallest available). There is not enough room under the passenger seat because of a metal tube/bar under that seat that would be a problem when the seat is moved back. The tube/bar does not exist under the driver's seat.
For some reason - maybe it is the way is supposed to be - the installer installed the subwoofer at a slight angle to the horizontal, the 'inside' towards the center of the car a little higher than the 'outside' towards the door. I thought it made sense rather than directing the entire sound to the bottom of the driver. We installed the subwoofer as far forward as possible with the seat fully forward, the 'long' side of the woofer left/right rather than longitudinal. The subwoofer comes with a cable-linked remote control, and I had the cable shortened (so it would just reach me in the driver's seat) and put a velcro strip on the right side of the subwoofer to attach it when not used. This allows back passengers enough room for their feet. I thought I would not often use the remote and - in actuality - I was right. I played with a few settings and found I was OK with 'middle settings', i.e. 100Hz crossover and 50% volume or a mini-touch less. This made the subwoofer less evident, just a sense that the sound was more 'full' and not muddy. [You can use the OEM radio controls to modify bass, which I will do occasionally, depending on the CD or the music.]
The installer did not follow the instructions that came with the subwoofer, to connect at the output of the amp. He sad, correctly, that the sound would be better if connected to the input side and I'm happy with the subwoofer, the installation and also the sound. It is an inexpensive - and specially not intrusive - improvement to the sad sound of the nonML system that I had.
If you do buy it and install, let me know how you like it..... Good luck!

Last edited by pauljcl; 11-09-13 at 02:45 PM.
Old 11-09-13, 02:47 PM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by eefiasfira
Hi
I read your post and tried to do likewise. I have a 2008 Lexus RX 350 with powered seats and the Kicker Hideaway does not fit under any of the seats. The only way to fit it barely fit under the front seat would be to raise the seat to its highest level, but then an above average height passenger sitting on the seat would have is head touch the ceiling of the car, so that's definitely not an option. How did you manage to fit this in? I guess your car does not have the power seats?
If you check the specs., the Kenwood is 1" or so (or more) thinner than the Kicker. That is one reason I chose it - it was the thinnest I found, and thinner than the CRV unit I was considering.
Old 11-10-13, 06:43 PM
eefiasfira
Driver School Candidate

Hi Packrat1
How did you manage to fit the Kicker Hideaway underneath your RX seat? What year RX do you have?
Old 11-15-13, 09:20 PM
eefiasfira
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by pauljcl
Yes -(I believe all RXs have power seats). It fits nicely (i.e. with space to spare) under the driver's seat (and I believe the Kenwood is dimensionally one of the smallest available). There is not enough room under the passenger seat because of a metal tube/bar under that seat that would be a problem when the seat is moved back. The tube/bar does not exist under the driver's seat.
For some reason - maybe it is the way is supposed to be - the installer installed the subwoofer at a slight angle to the horizontal, the 'inside' towards the center of the car a little higher than the 'outside' towards the door. I thought it made sense rather than directing the entire sound to the bottom of the driver. We installed the subwoofer as far forward as possible with the seat fully forward, the 'long' side of the woofer left/right rather than longitudinal. The subwoofer comes with a cable-linked remote control, and I had the cable shortened (so it would just reach me in the driver's seat) and put a velcro strip on the right side of the subwoofer to attach it when not used. This allows back passengers enough room for their feet. I thought I would not often use the remote and - in actuality - I was right. I played with a few settings and found I was OK with 'middle settings', i.e. 100Hz crossover and 50% volume or a mini-touch less. This made the subwoofer less evident, just a sense that the sound was more 'full' and not muddy. [You can use the OEM radio controls to modify bass, which I will do occasionally, depending on the CD or the music.]
The installer did not follow the instructions that came with the subwoofer, to connect at the output of the amp. He sad, correctly, that the sound would be better if connected to the input side and I'm happy with the subwoofer, the installation and also the sound. It is an inexpensive - and specially not intrusive - improvement to the sad sound of the nonML system that I had.
If you do buy it and install, let me know how you like it..... Good luck!
So I got it installed from Car Toys and I have mixed feelings about this. Right after the installation, when I tried it, I found almost no bass when I had the gain on the subwoofer remote to 70% of the max. When I maxed it, I got some bass but very muddy. I asked CarToys if they had it installed correctly and they swore they had done everything right. The technician who had installed it said that even he was surprised at the low output of the sub-woofer and so he had the installation double-checked with his manager to ensure that he hadn't missed something. They claimed that it was a sub-woofer issue - either I had a bad piece or the sub-woofer itself was crappy and they suggested I try their 10" Kenwood sub-woofer placed in the cargo.

While driving home, I tried playing with the settings. I changed the listening mode in the radio to target only the front seats and turned off ASL. I increased the bass on the stereo slightly, reduced the gain on the sub-woofer remote to 50% and increased the cross over frequency from 80 (set by CarToys) to about 100. I also increased the volume to 40 (I normally listen at 30-35). Then I noticed a decent amount of improvement in the bass in some select songs but not all songs. Even then, the vocals still sound muddy and distant, and that I can attribute to the low-quality factory speakers. The CarToys guys had pointed this out to me and were suggesting that I replace the front and rear passenger speakers with good quality ones. So I am not sure how to proceed. Should I return this and lose the $150 I paid for installation, and try out their 10" Kenwood down-firing sub in my cargo space (and maybe ask CarToys for a rebate on their installation, as I was planning to get them to install an aftermarket stereo in my Acura)? Or should I try out this sub for some more time and see if after the break-in period if there is any improvement?

Another suggestion the CarToys gave me to install some "L2DC" device (or something sounding like that). They feel that the issue here is lack of power and that they feel that the factory stereo is limiting power output since it does not want to harm the speakers and the L2DC (or whatever it is called) will compensate when the factory stereo drops off. Total cost would be another $200 .

All in all, I am pissed off at Mr." Premium Brand" Lexus for installing essentially perforated tin boxes and calling them "premium audio speakers". A good sound system makes a car much more desirable and the Lexus guys seemed to have missed that in designing their RX.The least they could have done is labelled their sound system as a "basic sound system" rather than "premium audio" so at least people buying the Lexus know what to expect and would upgrade to the ML system. Since you cannot install the ML after the fact makes it very important for Lexus to make expectations clear at the time of purchase. Next time, I'll stick with Acura or try out Infiniti. Acura calls their Bose sound system as "premium audio" and that simple system with 4 classy speakers and a 10" sub-woofer place inconspicuously behind the rear seats beats the crap out of the Lexus 8-speaker "premium tin box" speaker system, and looks much cleaner and beautiful as well.

**Update**:
After doing my research on the web, I think the sub is the issue. Although it claims to go as low as 35 Hz, people have complained that it can go only as low as 55-60hz. The stock speakers don't go this low. This explains why some songs sound decent (as they don't go lower than 55-60hz) while other songs which go lower sound about the same (dull). This is more of a mid-range speaker and less of a sub-woofer. It will fill in the 60-75 Hz range which the stock speakers have difficulty in reproducing, but that's about it. So I will be returning this unit and lose my $150 CarToys installation .

The Kicker Hideaway has awesome reviews and none of the reviewers have complained about lack of bass, but it won't fit under my passenger seat . It looks awesome and strongly built from the outside at least (as compared to the puny looks of the Kenwood). The CarToys guys were also impressed with the look and feel of the Hideaway and had suggested that I place this in the cargo on a bracket - they wanted to charge $200 for that (i.e. $60 for the bracket and $140 for installation). But one reviewer suggested that the Hideaway is meant to be under the seat and won't sound well in the cargo, so I did not go with CarToys suggestion.

Packrat1, how did you manage to install that under your seat. Do you have power seats? Please respond!! Your response could save my day!

Last edited by eefiasfira; 11-16-13 at 02:29 PM.
Old 11-23-13, 01:06 PM
Packrat1
Driver School Candidate

Sorry for the delay just saw the post. My vehicle is 2008 RX350 with factory premium stereo which I have upgraded. My Hideaway sub fits under the passenger seat. It sticks out just a little in the back and I cut the rubber floor mat around it. I have the powered drivers seat won't fit under there. The sub sounds great for me and I listen to a lot of Pandora especially "Film Scores Radio" and Sirius Cinemagic. There is quite a bit of subwoofer parts in movie sound tracks. I posted pics of my install here
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-installs.html
My sub setting on the Kenwood deck is at about -2 to 0 and set at 80hz roll off with loudness set on low on the deck. I am very happy with it.
I do have the powered passenger seat and the sub was installed from the back of the seat. I think they removed the seat to install it but I am not sure. It in no way impedes the movement of the seat. I am very, very picky about the sound and although I would like to add some Focals at a later date this sounds pretty good.

Last edited by Packrat1; 11-23-13 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Edit

Quick Reply: non ML stereo quality?