RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

USA SPEC iPhone and bluetooth kits, dash cam installs

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-13, 12:23 PM
chambl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default USA SPEC iPhone and bluetooth kits, dash cam installs

Yesterday, I visited Lockdown Security at their new location in Markham (Toronto area, Ontario, Canada) for a USA Spec iPhone (PA15) and Bluetooth (BT35) kit and dash-cam (Itronics ITB-100HD + Power Magic) install. My contact is Jeff, the owner of the company, and he's FANTASTIC to work with.

I bought the USA Spec modules from Amazon.com and had them delivered to me in Niagara Falls, NY. I picked them up last weekend and scheduled the appointment early last week. I found Lockdown Security through another thread here (dash cam install one). I asked Jeff if he could install the USA Spec modules, and he said it wouldn't be a problem.

I originally wanted to install everything myself, though for the hours I'll spend, and the risk of breaking some trim panels, I figured it's best that I leave it to a professional. I'm glad I did.

First he took apart the center console and pulled out the radio. Two screws at each corner of the radio were hard to get at, and they fell after unscrewing. An extended magnet retrieved them, no problem. The harnesses for the PA15 and BT35 were daisy chained. We weren't sure if there is an order they should be connected, so he connected the Bluetooth harness to the iPhone harness, then to the radio.

There is an opening in the domelight assembly where I suspected the microphone would go if it was included with my car. Jeff pulled it apart and found that my microphone could be installed there. He disassembled the bluetooth kit microphone and hot glued it into the assembly. With the power cable for the dash cam, he tucked them under the headliner, down the pillar, under the steering column, and into the radio area. The dash cam power cable tapped into a 12V radio line. The iPhone cable was routed to the glove compartment. The dash cam was installed just under the rear-view mirror. I can't see it when in the driver's seat.

I programmed the PA15 as "CD Changer 2" and the BT35 as "Sat." This way, there is no conflict when I receive calls even with the iPhone cable connected. Jeff connected the PA15 and BT35 modules and reconnected the factory radio. Everything worked right out of the gate! My iPhone paired with my car quickly, and started streaming my MP3s instantly. I plugged in my phone with the cable and my music was fully recognized. I can also display the song title on the radio screen. I tested a call via Bluetooth and it came through the car speakers very clearly. I was also heard clearly through the bluetooth mic.

I plugged in the dash cam and pressed the mic on/off button for 5 seconds to format the SD card. I picked up a Sandisk 32GB class 10 one at Sam's Club when I was in Niagara Falls the prior week. After a few minutes, I removed the SD card and checked if the dash cam recorded anything. It worked! Even with the car turned off, it was recording - success!

Dash cam is barely visible

Jeff applied double-sided sticky tape to each module and stuck them within the radio area. All trim components were reattached and it appears as though nothing was changed.
When I returned home, I used a black marker to hide the silver "HD" label on dash cam to draw as little attention to it as possible. Unless you're looking for it, it otherwise appears very stealth.

Jeff was very knowledgeable and professional. He offers great service and competitive pricing. He was methodical and thought carefully before proceeding (the equivalent of "measure twice, cut once" I suppose). As a plus, he's a really interesting guy to chat with. I could have chatted with him the whole time, though I had to resist to avoid getting in his way. I learned he will have a TV set up in the waiting area and offers Wifi for guests. Although he's an hour's drive away, he's still worth the effort and distance for me.

If you're in the GTA and need car security, audio/video, a starter, or lighting, Jeff at Lockdown Security is worth considering. I trust him completely.

Toll Free: 1-(866)-824-4118
Local: (647)-439-4485

Next week, I'm having a ClearBra installed with another vendor. Looking forward to that too...
Old 02-03-13, 12:44 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Nice write up and photos. Am curious to know more about your decision as to why you felt the need to install the Itronics ITB-100HD camera. Understand the reason for the rest of the items.
Old 02-03-13, 01:01 PM
chambl
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Nice write up and photos. Am curious to know more about your decision as to why you felt the need to install the Itronics ITB-100HD camera. Understand the reason for the rest of the items.
The short answer is, "Protection."

When I was shopping for my RX, I came upon a Youtube video of a potential fraud happening in my area:
. To ensure that I don't get caught up in something like that, I got a dash cam.

About 3 weeks ago, a guy in an SUV rear-ends me in my Prius! Though I originally was only getting a dash camera for the RX, I'm getting one for the Prius too. The whole thing was on the up-and-up - it really was an accident, but you never know what the other party will say to their insurance. You can't get more neutral than a recording of what happened.

I hope I never have to use the footage recorded off the camera, but if ever I do, I know it's there...
Old 02-03-13, 01:40 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

That makes perfect sense. Thanks for the response. Personally, I have been in a number of accidents here in FL over the decades. None of them my fault with the driver of the other vehicle always getting a ticket with the exception of the case when the police did not come because of rules in place about not always responding unless there is an excessive amount of damage. The other insurance company has always paid, I always got to use the shop I chose, and I always got a rental car though perhaps not the best of deals with that. Have even been hit once by an uninsured driver. Little I could do about it and chose to pay for those repairs myself. And yes, my car insurance company still considers me a "safe driver."

Though they have changed the PIP laws in the state to help deal with these staged accidents, there is still a prevalent problem of "swoop and squat." Always have my head on a pivot and try to get as much room around me as possible.

Neat to see all these little toys available which can easily be added to our 2nd Generation RX's.
Old 02-03-13, 02:16 PM
chambl
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
That makes perfect sense. Thanks for the response. Personally, I have been in a number of accidents here in FL over the decades. None of them my fault with the driver of the other vehicle always getting a ticket with the exception of the case when the police did not come because of rules in place about not always responding unless there is an excessive amount of damage. The other insurance company has always paid, I always got to use the shop I chose, and I always got a rental car though perhaps not the best of deals with that. Have even been hit once by an uninsured driver. Little I could do about it and chose to pay for those repairs myself. And yes, my car insurance company still considers me a "safe driver."

Though they have changed the PIP laws in the state to help deal with these staged accidents, there is still a prevalent problem of "swoop and squat." Always have my head on a pivot and try to get as much room around me as possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnnaDNZgSgs

Neat to see all these little toys available which can easily be added to our 2nd Generation RX's.
I didn't realize that manoeuver is called a swoop and squat. That's an ideal situation to have a camera - it'll show all 3 cars involved. Ontario has "no fault" insurance, which means that your own insurer pays for any damages to your own vehicle, and the insurers figure out among themselves who's to blame and to what extent (and thus who's premiums to raise). In the video I posted, the guy in the Acura has been convicted of fraud. Poetic justice, I say.
Old 02-03-13, 07:44 PM
rxdrivr
Driver School Candidate

Are there any specific reasons for going with the PA15 instead of PA20? How about getting the USA Spec versus the VAIS and Grom systems?
Old 02-04-13, 03:57 AM
chambl
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rxdrivr
Are there any specific reasons for going with the PA15 instead of PA20? How about getting the USA Spec versus the VAIS and Grom systems?
I don't have the Ultra Premium version of the RX, so I don't have navi. The PA20 is suited to models with a screen.

I almost got the VAIS, though it was a good amount more than USA Spec. I don't remember where I saw it, though I read a thread where a VAIS rep attacked another vendor for copying VAIS' technology, their own product development justifies the higher cost, etc. I was a little off-put by that, so I opted for the USA Spec.

I couldn't find a lot of info about Grom, though I remember reading about a couple of people having problems.