RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

New Windshield - Lexus or Aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-12, 10:57 PM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cdnewton
No problem, hope it works out for you. I have used Safelite for years and haven't had any issues. But, as they always say, YMMV. Glad to hear you got it replaced and taken care of.
YMMV?
Lots of rain (and wind) tonight - no leaks and no more noise than the Lexus windshield.....
SFSG !
Old 10-26-12, 01:40 PM
Kostyan
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Isn't it a Toyota part?
Old 10-26-12, 07:43 PM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kostyan
Isn't it a Toyota part?
Inasmuch as all Lexus parts are Toyota parts, yes. But I believe the shape of the windshield is unique to the RX. The original windshield is branded/marked "Lexus" whereas a lot of Toyota-exchangeable parts are branded/marked "Toyota". Be it as it may.... Lexus has priced themselves out of this market. The dealer - to which I spoke after the new windshield was installed - told me that 'everyone' uses the aftermarket windshield because insurance companies refuse to pay the exorbitant price Lexus would like to charge. Even when the car is brought to Lexus for replacement of teh windshield, the dealer sends the car out, and its a after-market windshield that gets installed. In my case, Safelite came to my house and did the work in about an hour. Can't beat that....
I would have thought that the large quantity of RXs produced (many in Canada - North America) + the replacement market would allow Lexus to better price its replacement windshields than the after-market people could. Obviously not. I asked the Safelite installer where the windshields were made, and he told me it varies: some in China, some in the US and even some in Japan. Mine was marked that it was made in the US. [I had thought that maybe Lexus was supplying the aftermarket ones without their branding. Obviously not.]
Old 10-30-12, 11:52 AM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lexus Glass are branded Lexus not Toyota and the glass with rain sensors are price at US$1800 plus install fees, that is why no insurance will take that kind of hit for a glass claim unless you have OE replacement as option on your policy, then you can opt for OE Lexus glass replacement. In my case safelite ordered the glass from Lexus dealership, then came out where I worked and did everything around an hour or so, clean everything up, very professional. Additional info Lexus dealership don't do glass, they send it off to a 3rd party auto glass shop to get it done right then charge their customers a lot. So by having Safelite doing my windshield, it's no different than sending my car to dealership then have them send it over to Safelite or whatever local auto glass shop it maybe.
Old 10-30-12, 03:56 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Windshields like Paint are not Toyota's beef. They have the experts make them.
Old 12-24-12, 07:00 AM
Stephenson
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GX460 Windshield R/R

Hi Guys,
I got a large spider crack lower right side of my 2010 GX460 traveling to San Diego. Ran too fast & was too large to repair. San Diego Lexus dealer sent me to the glass & collision repair shop on Balboa St. that they, Mercedes & Porsche (located on either side of the glass place) use for their respective glass customers.
My cost for replacement was $461.58 with non-Lexus logo etched glass (lower left corner) vs. about $750 for OEM Lexus name etched glass. The shop told me both panes are made at the same plant and are exactly the same glass. Then some of them are sent out for LEXUS name etching to become official OEM glass. No other difference, except the cost to us.
Near as I can tell, it look the same to me.

However, I now have a wind noise howl at the lower right side, coming apparently from some of the loose plastic cowling under the hood at the base of the windshield. The shop says they know how to fix that and will do so on my next trip to San Diego.

Anyone else have any experience with a windshield windnoise from the cowling?

Thanks,
Larry