RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2005 awd rx330 fluids change

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-12, 04:30 PM
05rx330
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 awd rx330 fluids change

HI CL members

the car was owned by my sister untill ~ 70000 kms
she maintain it at the dealer when we asked the dealer if the transmission fluid ever changed
they looked up and it appears to not be changed it was a 40k service

i have changed power steering and transmission fluid at arround
80 000 kilometers = 49 709.6954 miles to 85 000 kilometers = 52 816.5513 miles

my father was against the psf and transmission fluid and filter change
he agreed about psf at the end after i researched that it'll cause no harm
he was strongly disagreed about transmission fluid especially it has been never changed
to avoid slippage and problems

however we have it changed at the end all at independent shops

the shop used a paste instead of a gasket in the transmission pan he said it'll be much beter although it costs more than the gasket the change process was drop and refill magnets and pan cleaned and filter replaced
for the ps fluid they used a vacum to extract the fluid from the reservoir‏ so that's a partial fluid change.

now i am wondering about differentials and transfer case fluids
is there 2 differentials on this model ?
i have heard once that the front differential fluid is withen the transmission fluid is that correct?
what about the transfer case and the read differentials
is there any harm replacing them at this interval ? i assume they were never replaced car right now has < 90k kms ~ 56k miles
what the type of the fluid to be used
please suggest toyota oem fluids or aftermarket good quality fluids

bear in mind that i am living in Kuwait we have hot weather here..

Last edited by 05rx330; 06-15-12 at 07:05 PM.
Old 06-15-12, 07:03 PM
05rx330
Driver School Candidate

Bump......
Old 06-15-12, 08:22 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

From the Owner's Manual:

2005 awd rx330 fluids change-screen-shot-2012-06-15-at-10.58.29-pm.png

The front differential and transmission fluid are one in the same. So, any Type IV or better. You could go with Toyota WS (which is the lifetime fluid used in the RX350) if available. Perhaps Mobil ATF 3309. Both should be globally available to you. The Toyota WS is a synthetic and that is always a good thing to go with if available.

For the rear differential, looks like you should use a straight 90W gear lube. Any synthetic you can find will do. Might be hard to find a 90W only synthetic, so any 80W-90 or 75W-90 could substitute.

The power steering fluid uses a DEXRON ATF... it is not power steering fluid. Myself and many others here use Mobil 1 ATF for this application. Would not hurt to look at what they used to replace what was in there from the factory.

Never any harm in replacing fluids early. Sometimes it is just a waste of money, however, if never done before it would not hurt as you would get an idea on any problems that may be creeping up on you.

So, in short I would check with the shop to see what they use or have available in the way of synthetics. Anything you can get in synthetic form from Toyota, Mobil 1, RedLine, Royal Purple, Amsoil or similar will do.

Last edited by RX330inFL; 06-15-12 at 11:27 PM.
Old 06-15-12, 10:46 PM
05rx330
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
From the Owner's Manual:

Attachment 250025

The front differential and transmission fluid are one in the same. So, any Type IV or better. You could go with Toyota WS (which is the lifetime fluid used in the RX350) if available. Perhaps Mobil ATF 3309. Both should be globally available to you. The Toyota WS is a synthetic and that is always a good thing to go with if available.

For the rear differential, looks like you should use a straight 90W gear lube. Any synthetic you can find will do. Might be hard to find a 90W only synthetic, so any 80W-90 or 75W-90 could substitute.

The power steering fluid uses a DEXTRON ATF... it is not power steering fluid. Myself and many others here use Mobil 1 ATF for this application. Would not hurt to look at what they used to replace what was in there from the factory.

Never any harm in replacing fluids early. Sometimes it is just a waste of money, however, if never done before it would not hurt as you would get an idea on any problems that may be creeping up on you.

So, in short I would check with the shop to see what they use or have available in the way of synthetics. Anything you can get in synthetic form from Toyota, Mobil 1, RedLine, Royal Purple, Amsoil or similar will do.
i've already replaced the transmission and power steering few miles ago just like i stated
i've used TOYOTA T-IV for both
transmission was drain and refill while power steering was sucking from the resvoir and refill

i just notiiced in the manual they ask for power steering : Automatic transmission fluid DEXRON II or III while i think on the power steering cap they wrote ATF T-IV on the time i asked for T-IV to replace my psf
is thera any problem keeping Toyota T-IV in the power steering or i am good to go?

is the front differential fluid within the transmission itself? or it's a seperate subject apart from the transmission. i don't see any front differential mentioned in the manual

i've heard on this forum alot about TOYOTA WS
T-IV isn't synthetic right ?
IF T-IV Is appropriate for as psf can i go with TOYOTA WS for my next psf change as well as transmission?

mechanics pointed that i am too late for differential change and changing it would cause buzzing noise

in my manual they call for Transfer and rear differential every 40k kms or 24k miles except south africa
while for south africa every 30k km
i am not sure about arabian gulf weather compared to south africa
however am i too late regarding the interval ? that's 84 months with < 90k kms
Thanks
Old 06-16-12, 01:11 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Toyota Type IV is not synthetic, it is a blend. Toyota WS is full synthetic.

Have been doing some reading over at Bob Is The Oil Guy (BITOG), so if I backtrack a bit please be advised. Here are a couple of threads there:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=1586739

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=2560709

For now, I would stick with Toyota Type IV or bottles that say they are compatible with Toyota Type IV for your transmission needs. Seems there "may" be some issues about using Toyota WS in a transmission that does not specifically call for it -- may be too thin. Some have used it and are not reporting any problems. Still, be aware of the issue. There are synthetic Type IV fluids available from Amsoil and RedLine (D4 ATF) as examples if you want to go that route. Or, just drain and fill with standard Type IV from Toyota on a regular basis. If you search the forums here there is a great deal of information on this topic. You do not need to drop the pan, just drain and fill.

Does your Owner's Manual state that you need to change the fluids at those intervals or is this a special conditions item like here in the US?

http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do...ch/51r3smt.pdf

I have not seen any listing that says Toyota Type IV can be used as a replacement for DEXRON in the power steering for the RX. Perhaps someone else will chime in on the ability to use Type IV or WS in the power steering. The Mobil 1 ATF synthetic I use states DEXRON II / DEXRON III on the bottle so it is OK to use that in the power steering. You may want to be prepared to pump out what you have in there and replace with a DEXRON II / DEXRON III product per spec.

The front differential and transmission are all one unit. When you drain and fill for the transmission you are taking care of the front diff at the same time.

Too late to change the rear differential fluid? I do not buy it. Are you doing much driving in sand or off road in general? Any towing? Here in the States unless you are doing those the change interval is quite long though many here in the forum change much earlier than indicated. (See Maintenance Schedule URL above) Just think about using a synthetic gear oil here due to temperatures.

I too am not sure for the difference between driving in S. Africa vs. Kuwait. Would think the difference would be negligible.

Keep in mind that the Owner's Manual is your reference. Take what it shows you there and see what products are available for you to use at your local shop or parts store. You will probably have a different mix of products there in the Gulf than here in the States, Canada, or Australia where most of us here reside. But if it does not say it meets that spec on the bottle I would think twice about using it. If in doubt, take a picture of the products labels and ask us here. Thus, my concerns about Toyota WS. In the bottles I can locate pictures of I do not see anywhere on the bottle that it meets Toyota Type IV specifications... and if it does not say it you cannot say it would work.
Old 06-16-12, 01:56 AM
05rx330
Driver School Candidate

i started reading the member lexmex thread on his 99 rx300 rear differntial and transfer case and front differential

in his model the front differential and transmission each have it own drain plug while they are filled from the regular transmission dipstick hole

so i am done with front differential change already here? the mechanic dropped the pan cleaned the magnet
applied paste instead of gasket the paste from toyota according to his recommendation

so now my transfer case and rear differental both uses the gear oil for our temperature SAE90 is what i have left

what damage do you think already happend to my power steering system
that's less than 10k kms

toyota t-iv is considered what verson of dexron ?
4 as in iv ?
if thats correct is dexron 4 backward compatible to dexron 2 and 3
if it's compatible
i'll consider using it as i have arround 2 liters spare fluid

when my sister was using the vechile she were doing highway mostly
while the other 15k i've used is highway combined with rush hours and possibly speeding on each traffic light but not going over posted speed limit

so yeah that's it and thanks

Last edited by 05rx330; 06-16-12 at 02:13 AM.
Old 06-16-12, 02:26 AM
05rx330
Driver School Candidate

RX330inFL thanks for your help
if you don't mind reading this thread
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=1217344
they are doing some readout regarding T-IV and dexron 3
and give me an evaluation regarding my status
should i keep t-iv in my ps or not?
Old 06-18-12, 01:08 AM
05rx330
Driver School Candidate

Bump.... is there any damage doing rear differential and transfer case this late ?
does it slip or grind or create unwanted noise ? just like transmission fears ?
did i already replaced front differential with the transmission fluid change ?
the mechanic only dropped the transmision pan.
have any body used t-iv as psf in their rx330 and for how long? any damages?
Thanks

Last edited by 05rx330; 06-18-12 at 02:03 AM.
Old 06-18-12, 07:43 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 05rx330
what damage do you think already happend to my power steering system
that's less than 10k kms
No way to know. Would look to replace with the appropriate fluid. Perhaps a couple of replacement cycles over a period of time should get most of it out.
toyota t-iv is considered what verson of dexron ?
They are not interchangeable. There are no equivalents.
4 as in iv ?
http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2005/4550.html
if thats correct is dexron 4 backward compatible to dexron 2 and 3
if it's compatible
Have never seen a DEXRON IV (or 4)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEXRON
Keep in mind that for your RX, the only use for DEXRON II/III ATF is in the power steering.

I will reiterate:
"Keep in mind that the Owner's Manual is your reference. Take what it shows you there and see what products are available for you to use at your local shop or parts store. You will probably have a different mix of products there in the Gulf than here in the States, Canada, or Australia where most of us here reside. But if it does not say it meets that spec on the bottle I would think twice about using it."
Old 06-18-12, 10:06 PM
05rx330
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation

No way to know. Would look to replace with the appropriate fluid. Perhaps a couple of replacement cycles over a period of time should get most of it out.

They are not interchangeable. There are no equivalents.

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2005/4550.html

Have never seen a DEXRON IV (or 4)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEXRON
Keep in mind that for your RX, the only use for DEXRON II/III ATF is in the power steering.

I will reiterate:
"Keep in mind that the Owner's Manual is your reference. Take what it shows you there and see what products are available for you to use at your local shop or parts store. You will probably have a different mix of products there in the Gulf than here in the States, Canada, or Australia where most of us here reside. But if it does not say it meets that spec on the bottle I would think twice about using it."
could you please answer these parts:
did i already changed front differential by dropping the transmission pan?
can i go ahead and do the rear differential and transfer case by this time with no harm or long term effect?

i fully understood that i have to read the manual and i already did
but trying to get up to dated information as fluids formulas are always in change

some one used t-iv in 2001-2007 volvo V70XC which ask for Dex3
here
http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/archiv...p/t-15480.html

i am not sure if he had problems or not going to try to contact him if i could
however in his thread a guy said

Relax....it's the right stuff. What it's saying is it's acceptable for use in applications that call for Dexron III. Its qualities, and compatibility, are above and beyond those of Dexron III. Believe me it IS 3309 oil; I confirmed this a couple of years ago with my Toyota technical trainer who confirmed it with Esso Canada, and Mobil (I work for a Toyota dealership). Rest easy friend....it's the correct oil at a fraction of what Volvo and others want.

Dave.
http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showpo...73&postcount=4

in his region t-iv package looks different and it stated

Meets performance requirements of GM6417M (DEXRON-III G)

now the question is ?
what does G after dex3 means ?
is it backward compatible with dex3 ?

Please read this post fully and give answers

That's all of my questions

Thanks !!
Attached Thumbnails 2005 awd rx330 fluids change-dsc04608h.jpg   2005 awd rx330 fluids change-dsc04610r.jpg  
Old 06-19-12, 12:54 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

While there are no direct replacement between Toyota Type IV ATF and DEXRON specs, different formulations and additives can make an ATF compatible with both specs. There are a number of universal products out there which can meet a number of different specs, however, each is different and you really need to check each to see what it covers. I am not researching bottles on a regular basis. I like what I use and stick with it. Two that do meet both, as an example, are Castrol and Amsoil:

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/secti...tentId=7028224
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atf.aspx

You cannot always go by saying, "GM always uses..." because the way parts are sourced you may end up with a vehicle with an Aisin transmission which can use an ATF such as the Mobil ATF 3309 which also happens to be compatible with Toyota Type IV. Why I always recommend going by what is on the bottle and what is in the Owner's Manual. The answers are not always right or wrong, black or white. What is good for today's vehicles may not be proper for your 2005 RX either. I have to be very careful about the fluids I use in some of my older vehicles (60's and 70's) or have had to replace parts with newer grade rubber that will not breakdown with the newer chemicals and additives used.

DEXRON IIIG is just one of several specifications of DEXRON III ATF. Just like the API and ILSAC specs for motor oil.
http://www.oilspecifications.org/general_motors_gm.php

You posted a picture of the bottle, so we can have a good look at that. As I mentioned previous, you have access to product we do not see here and with exception of those in Europe perhaps none here in the forum have seen this product.

As this is a Toyota product and it clearly states it is Type T IV ATF this is perfectly fine for your ATF needs.

As stated previous, your transmission and front differential are one unit. When you change your ATF you are changing the transmission's fluid and at the same time the fluid for the front diff. There is no separate drain plug for that. In the future they do not need to drop the pan on the transmission next time you perform that service. A simple drain and fill should suffice moving forward. What many do here and you can find several threads on the process, change intervals, etc. If you want to be more thorough you can have them drop the pan every couple of transmission/front diff fluid changes should you have the RX for that long.

Next, your power steering. As the bottle states that it meets the DEXRON III spec, this is perfectly fine for your power steering needs. No need to worry about this. It has the appropriate additives, etc. you need for that system. Also, as it is a Toyota product you can feel better about using this. It is not a synthetic, however, it is fine to use and allows you to deal with only one product for these needs. I might remove the sticker or whatever was placed on the power steering reservoir to label it as Type IV. That is incorrect. You can make a note that they used the Toyota Type IV ATF which was DEXRON III compatible. The next time you change the fluid in the power steering just make sure the bottle says DEXRON III like this bottle did and you will be fine. No telling where they may get their next shipment from and what specs it might have on the bottle. If it comes from the US, as an example, it might not be the same formulation and in fact the wrong product.

Finally, the rear differential and transfer case...
Again, I see no reason this cannot be done. You have not been driving off road, just highways from the sound of things, so your RX is not really seeing special duty conditions as I discussed previous. The noises they told you about usually, in my experience, are from using a thinner gear oil than spec or it was not properly filled.

Does your Owner's Manual show the same spec for the gear oil as what I posted from the US edition? If so, see if your shop can use a 90W gear oil and/or synthetic if possible. Show them what it says in your Owner's Manual. If they have a product you want to ask us about, post pictures of it and we will have a look. More info here from Lexmex and others. Note the product he is using during his time in Mexico (he has since moved to Miami):

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...sfer-case.html
Old 06-19-12, 05:21 PM
05rx330
Driver School Candidate

While there are no direct replacement between Toyota Type IV ATF and DEXRON specs, different formulations and additives can make an ATF compatible with both specs. There are a number of universal products out there which can meet a number of different specs, however, each is different and you really need to check each to see what it covers. I am not researching bottles on a regular basis. I like what I use and stick with it. Two that do meet both, as an example, are Castrol and Amsoil:

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/secti...tentId=7028224
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atf.aspx

You cannot always go by saying, "GM always uses..." because the way parts are sourced you may end up with a vehicle with an Aisin transmission which can use an ATF such as the Mobil ATF 3309 which also happens to be compatible with Toyota Type IV. Why I always recommend going by what is on the bottle and what is in the Owner's Manual. The answers are not always right or wrong, black or white. What is good for today's vehicles may not be proper for your 2005 RX either. I have to be very careful about the fluids I use in some of my older vehicles (60's and 70's) or have had to replace parts with newer grade rubber that will not breakdown with the newer chemicals and additives used.

DEXRON IIIG is just one of several specifications of DEXRON III ATF. Just like the API and ILSAC specs for motor oil.
http://www.oilspecifications.org/general_motors_gm.php

You posted a picture of the bottle, so we can have a good look at that. As I mentioned previous, you have access to product we do not see here and with exception of those in Europe perhaps none here in the forum have seen this product.

As this is a Toyota product and it clearly states it is Type T IV ATF this is perfectly fine for your ATF needs.

As stated previous, your transmission and front differential are one unit. When you change your ATF you are changing the transmission's fluid and at the same time the fluid for the front diff. There is no separate drain plug for that. In the future they do not need to drop the pan on the transmission next time you perform that service. A simple drain and fill should suffice moving forward. What many do here and you can find several threads on the process, change intervals, etc. If you want to be more thorough you can have them drop the pan every couple of transmission/front diff fluid changes should you have the RX for that long.

Next, your power steering. As the bottle states that it meets the DEXRON III spec, this is perfectly fine for your power steering needs. No need to worry about this. It has the appropriate additives, etc. you need for that system. Also, as it is a Toyota product you can feel better about using this. It is not a synthetic, however, it is fine to use and allows you to deal with only one product for these needs. I might remove the sticker or whatever was placed on the power steering reservoir to label it as Type IV. That is incorrect. You can make a note that they used the Toyota Type IV ATF which was DEXRON III compatible. The next time you change the fluid in the power steering just make sure the bottle says DEXRON III like this bottle did and you will be fine. No telling where they may get their next shipment from and what specs it might have on the bottle. If it comes from the US, as an example, it might not be the same formulation and in fact the wrong product.

Finally, the rear differential and transfer case...
Again, I see no reason this cannot be done. You have not been driving off road, just highways from the sound of things, so your RX is not really seeing special duty conditions as I discussed previous. The noises they told you about usually, in my experience, are from using a thinner gear oil than spec or it was not properly filled.

Does your Owner's Manual show the same spec for the gear oil as what I posted from the US edition? If so, see if your shop can use a 90W gear oil and/or synthetic if possible. Show them what it says in your Owner's Manual. If they have a product you want to ask us about, post pictures of it and we will have a look. More info here from Lexmex and others. Note the product he is using during his time in Mexico (he has since moved to Miami):

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...sfer-case.html
Thanks for taking time writing this detailed replay

does that means it matchs or exceeds DEXRON III specifications?
that sound good

The pictures i posted is quoted from the thread i linked to they are not the bottle i have
i have 4 litres metalic bottle and i have few 1 litre bottles that are round shaped also metalic
just like this also it's not my picture

mine looks the excat same from the front however on the sides they just gave wernings in multiple languages including arabic that used atf fluid can cause cancer when in contact with skin

my own pictures of the 4 litres bottle here

http://i45.tinypic.com/hrmyk4.jpg
http://i47.tinypic.com/alit6b.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/fn4nm8.jpg
http://i48.tinypic.com/10ym1om.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/2ryhbfo.jpg

I am going to do the transfer case and rear differential very soon

Thanks

Last edited by 05rx330; 06-19-12 at 05:24 PM.
Old 06-19-12, 05:30 PM
05rx330
Driver School Candidate

in my model with no towing or offroading
which wears faster?
the front differential or the rear?

i've dropped the pan to change the filter
my next change gonna be drain and fill
that will be very soon maybe 15k kms
just to get the transmission fluid cherry coloured

on a side note i am getting a noise when the car in reverse while parking on an incline
this happens also before doing the transmission oil change
when the rpm get's higher
the sound never occurs in Drive on hills or acceleration or whatever
what do you think this is caused by?
Old 06-19-12, 06:52 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

I do not see "DEXRON" printed anywhere on the tin.

Hopefully, it is the same as the previous one you showed.
Old 06-19-12, 07:44 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

in my model with no towing or offroading
which wears faster?
the front differential or the rear?
No data. Use quality fluids, keep it changed and you will be fine. Not heard of a diff failing so far.

on a side note i am getting a noise when the car in reverse while parking on an incline
this happens also before doing the transmission oil change
when the rpm get's higher
the sound never occurs in Drive on hills or acceleration or whatever
what do you think this is caused by?
Unknown. Very subjective. Could be normal.

Quick Reply: 2005 awd rx330 fluids change