RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX 330 A/C problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-13, 08:44 PM
joejay
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same issue. Warm ac at idle. I cleaned out the condenser -lots of bugs! Still didn't solve the problem. Checked the pressure at max cool. Way too much freon in the system causing it to shut down at idle. Almost 40 psi! I had my mechanic reduce the pressure to 30 psi and now the air conditioning works better than ever! Hope this helps anyone with the same problem.
Old 07-06-13, 12:24 PM
genebolick
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexus114
If the compressor is not working, the A/C light on the dash will flash. (had this happen once going through a large puddle of water)
Had a similar experience today. Went through a large area of water and afterwards noticed that the cabin was hot, then saw that the A/C light was blinking. I'm hoping that after everything dries out it will be as good as new. If not I'm sure that I'll be back for more advice.

Thanks
Old 07-07-13, 11:30 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by genebolick
Had a similar experience today. Went through a large area of water and afterwards noticed that the cabin was hot, then saw that the A/C light was blinking. I'm hoping that after everything dries out it will be as good as new. If not I'm sure that I'll be back for more advice.

Thanks

Just shut it off, and hit the auto button again. It should be fine.
Old 07-07-13, 06:56 PM
JLeffler
Rookie

I've always felt like ours cycles on and off lightly in really hot days or in heavy traffic. It does stay cooler if recirc is on though. I prefer to use the auto function for temp and it seems to do well. Sometimes I wonder if sitting on black leather seats when it's 100 degrees outside how cold I should be.
Old 07-08-13, 11:52 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by JLeffler
I've always felt like ours cycles on and off lightly in really hot days or in heavy traffic. It does stay cooler if recirc is on though. I prefer to use the auto function for temp and it seems to do well. Sometimes I wonder if sitting on black leather seats when it's 100 degrees outside how cold I should be.

I have noticed with my 01, and my now 05 RX that the A/C works extremely well with the recirc button on. In heat/humidity like we`re experiencing rite now.
Old 04-14-15, 10:52 AM
robbyk
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1964rx330
I just had the cabin filter changed during my last oil change. I will check the other two. Thanks.
1964rx330,
I know this thread is 3 yrs old but did you ever find out what was wrong with your A/C?.
Old 09-01-18, 05:21 PM
quanger
Driver School Candidate

I know this is an old thread but reading through it solved my AC clutch would not engage on my 04 RX330 problem, where AC would come on for about 3 minutes then shut off. turn out to be engine was low on coolant even though gauge didn't really indicate engine was too hot. but after i top it off AC work like a champ now.
Old 06-05-19, 01:35 PM
jmathey
Driver School Candidate

Default magnetic clutch relay - rx-330 2006

I know this is an older thread but figured I'd give it a shot. Can someone who has actually done the repair confirm that the 2006 RX-330 has a magnetic clutch relay? If so, can you describe where it is, posting a picture would be awesome

I have read countless forums but still cannot locate the location. I have purchased a replacement relay from autozone so I'm fairly certain one does exist in the car, I just haven't been able to locate it.

Any help would be so much appreciated
Thanks

you can email direct too at jmathey@gmail.com
Old 06-05-19, 04:50 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by jmathey
I know this is an older thread but figured I'd give it a shot. Can someone who has actually done the repair confirm that the 2006 RX-330 has a magnetic clutch relay? If so, can you describe where it is, posting a picture would be awesome

I have read countless forums but still cannot locate the location. I have purchased a replacement relay from autozone so I'm fairly certain one does exist in the car, I just haven't been able to locate it.

Any help would be so much appreciated
Thanks

you can email direct too at jmathey@gmail.com

No pic but its easily accessible.

Pop the hood
Right side there will be a relay box.
Pop that open and the relay will be there
Labeled as MG/CLT relay

Some relays are interchangeable.
Pull out the RR/DEF relay.
That should have the same prong placement as the MG/CLT relay.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-06-19, 09:01 AM
jmathey
Driver School Candidate

I looked but I do not see it , in fact pretty sure all of these are fuses

Old 06-06-19, 11:27 AM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts

If thats how your JB looks, then the relay is an internal part of the Junction block.
Meaning its not a standard pull out relay.

Check your AC amplifier.
This could also be your culprit.
Assuming you have the right amount of freon in the system.
Old 12-30-19, 11:30 AM
FLAlife
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK, spent more time on this then I want to say. 2007 RX350 with increasing flashing of the AC light. Most times it works fine, but sometimes the AC light will flash and the AC blows hot. Turn it off then back on and it resets, most times. But it is slowly not working more often then it does. Toyota products have a noted problem about this time which had the same symptoms which were easily fixed by changing the AC Relay. And it looks like the earlier RX's (Up to 2006?) could be fixed in this same manner. My Fuse box/ Relay box looks like the one above. No relay inside? So I'm wondering how many 2007ish RX350s have this problem and has anyone fixed it? I know if I take it to get it looked at I'm going to be told "replace the Compressor", then replace the $900 amplifier. And only then will know if that's the real problem. I'm trying to cut to the chase and get to the real problem first. Has anyone changed out the 2007 AC Amplifier? Does anyone know how hard it is to change out? I'm thinking about getting one and changing it out myself.

For more information look up:
Lexus Technical Service Information Bulletin
AC00-06

My new part numbers is listed as:
88650-0E021
Canadian Version
2WD

Thank you in advance for any help.
The following users liked this post:
ceephis (09-04-22)
Old 12-30-19, 01:49 PM
tomr51
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 67 Posts

have you checked the sensor in the dash just below the steering wheel? it is behind a small "vent" .
Old 12-30-19, 05:04 PM
FLAlife
Driver School Candidate

Do you know what the sensor in the dash below the steering wheel does or what it's called?
Old 12-30-19, 05:31 PM
FLAlife
Driver School Candidate

Default 2007 Lexus RX350 has the AC light blinking Fix - Repair - Information

If your 2007 Lexus RX350 has the AC light blinking, here is what I have found out so far. I just purchased this part from the Web. I'll let you know how it goes when I get it and install it. Someone pointed out that the Instructions are kind of odd, put the online tech said the job is pretty strait forward. I guess I'll see.

Hope this helps someone.

Service Information

2007-Lexus-Amplifier-Install-Instructions

This is the New Part Air Conditioner Amplifier for the 2007 RX-350 2WD built in Canada.

Last edited by FLAlife; 05-06-20 at 08:12 PM.

Quick Reply: RX 330 A/C problem