RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

it had to happen during the holiday :(

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-11, 06:25 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Don't forget to kill your brother after everything is done.
Old 12-15-11, 06:55 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Benzat17
i know some of you might say go thro insurance because its better this way ill get everything fixed professionally but i am taking it to a mechanic whos a friend and knows his stuff plus at the end of the day im gunna pay it back to the insurance i rather get it over with fix it and still pay the same amount with clean record and at the same time if i wanna sell the car i can sell it with no hassle it showing been into an accident
And this is one reason why a CarFax can be absolutely worthless.
Old 12-15-11, 07:03 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Your brother is lucky hes not my brother....if my brother did this to my car, my brother would go into hiding because he knows how i am haha
Old 12-15-11, 09:52 PM
Benzat17
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you know what usually i would be yelling and choking him to death and saying i told you so and i was so mad while on my way to the accident scene but after i saw the car saw the police i just said its all good thank god hes ok nothing happened and move on even my brother said it damn you were very calm it scared me lool after all its just a car
Old 12-16-11, 08:23 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

True, cars are replaceable, people are not. But that doesn't mean your not obligated one major freakout if hes ok haha
Old 12-16-11, 01:04 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

sorry to see that...but I think it's cost way more than $5k to fix.....I personally would go through the insurance process because you would never know what kind of hidden damages the car has....

you could fix the car yourself but is it roadworthy?

good luck and keep us posted.
Old 12-16-11, 01:31 PM
gusar
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok so i called another agent and this is what they told me
the vehicle should be covered but since the airbag went off it is considered totaled ( Canadian law) although some insurances have the right to refuse to pay and cover that BECAUSE on the driver license of your brother's it shows that he lives with you from approx a year and something and they will say hes been living there for a while and most likely hes been driving it for the whole year and you didn't put him on the policy.

i have two options when i asked my agent and a diff agent also agreed on those options
1. file the claim IF they cover it then my payments will go sky high and even if i take my business somewhere else it will still show my claims history and what happened ( they can search for up to 5 years) therefore my payments will still be high no matter what insurance i switch to

2. i fix it on my own pay the 6000$ and save money in the long run . because right now with NOOOO accident or tickets 7 years clean record and non fault accidents i already pay almost 250$ a month if the claim go through it will be at least 500$ a month for 5 years till the claim goes away from my history

the way im looking at it is no matter what its coming out of my pocket
lets say they fix it and they raise the price 150$ a month if im lucky 150$ x12 months = 1800$ and 1800$ x 5 years = thats 9000$ thats minimum

am i thinking right here or what?
You basically right about insurance rate goes up for a few years. If car is totalled, you may consider it covered by insurance anyway.
Secondary, having your brother not on the policy looks for them like you were cheating them. You may say he is another family renting room from you though..., if it is the case (is he not a youngster or dependant?). I don't think you have to have your brother on your policy. Kids - yes.
But again, you already MAY HAVE a record on your file because you already talked to the insurance. And this will be bad.
And the cost is more than $5000. Labour will be way more than $300.
Old 12-16-11, 01:36 PM
gusar
Driver

Originally Posted by Emilaman
You can do half and half with insurance. Let the insurance pay what they can afford without rising your payments, and pay the rest from your pocket or split it with your brother
Ha-ha on this. Here in Canada insurance will be after you no matter what. So take from them whatever you can and then pay back monthly.
Old 12-17-11, 02:25 AM
Benzat17
Rookie

Originally Posted by gusar
You basically right about insurance rate goes up for a few years. If car is totalled, you may consider it covered by insurance anyway.
Secondary, having your brother not on the policy looks for them like you were cheating them. You may say he is another family renting room from you though..., if it is the case (is he not a youngster or dependant?). I don't think you have to have your brother on your policy. Kids - yes.
But again, you already MAY HAVE a record on your file because you already talked to the insurance. And this will be bad.
And the cost is more than $5000. Labour will be way more than $300.
the broker is my good friend and nothing was written down so the insurance dont know anything
and you are right but the fact that the mechanic is a good friend and been dealing with him for 8 years with all my cars so its a plus side for me on this one save $$
btw where from ontario?
Old 12-18-11, 09:00 PM
lanb
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
And this is one reason why a CarFax can be absolutely worthless.
I thought carfax & autocheck pulled from some police report databases as well.
So it may still show up in the report.
Old 12-20-11, 09:34 AM
gusar
Driver

the broker is my good friend and nothing was written down so the insurance dont know anything
and you are right but the fact that the mechanic is a good friend and been dealing with him for 8 years with all my cars so its a plus side for me on this one save $$
btw where from ontario?
From Toronto (Brampton).

Good luck with repair. Looks not very encouraging...
Could be hidden damages...
Old 12-20-11, 10:05 AM
jtaylor3
Rookie

Originally Posted by lanb
I thought carfax & autocheck pulled from some police report databases as well.
So it may still show up in the report.
When I had an accident with my 02 Subaru WRX, the police report of the accident appeared on the CarFax report. I've read that that it varies from state to state as to what is reported to CarFax.

Jeff
Old 12-20-11, 09:41 PM
Benzat17
Rookie

Originally Posted by gusar
From Toronto (Brampton).

Good luck with repair. Looks not very encouraging...
Could be hidden damages...
i shall find out the hidden damages this week i just got the rims today and im gunna start on it tomorrow
thanks
Old 12-20-11, 09:42 PM
Benzat17
Rookie

Originally Posted by jtaylor3
When I had an accident with my 02 Subaru WRX, the police report of the accident appeared on the CarFax report. I've read that that it varies from state to state as to what is reported to CarFax.

Jeff
hopefully it doesnt show
Old 12-20-11, 09:43 PM
Benzat17
Rookie

here is a thought since im painting half of the car i was wondering if i paint the black trim at the bottom of the car with the same color of the car would it look nice ? does any body have a pic?

thanks

Quick Reply: it had to happen during the holiday :(