RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Shopping and looking for input

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-11, 07:32 AM
LexiRX
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Shopping and looking for input

I'm looking at buying probably a 2009 - with a slight chance of maybe buying a 2010 or 2008 if a great car came along at an irresistible price.

My big question is - are there any certain small (less than obvious) things to look for as indicators of certain packages/equipment groups?

For instance. We would really like it to have heated seats. If it does - is this indicative of a "comfort group" or some other bundle? (Sometimes sellers don't even note that there are heated seats - one has to look at pictures to see if the controls are there...)

Other examples - if the shift **** is leather wrapped as opposed to not does this mean it's part of a larger group of features? An extra convenience light somewhere - or extra button, extra piece of trim, etc? What does it mean when the interior trim is just black as opposed to wood? Bottom of the barrel/base model?

Anyway, you get the idea. Certain visual clues as to the original "extras packages" that might be on board. Obviously things like Navigation are hard to miss. One almost never ever sees the "Mark Levinson Audio" - not even sure what it looks like. On rare occasion I've run into ones with cloth seats! Yuck.

Other than that, while a clean AutoCheck or CarFax is good there is always a chance that the title has been "cleaned" - so tips on other kinds of physical or mechanical things to watch out for would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for input!
Old 04-22-11, 09:30 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The 2010 RX information can be accessed through the lexus.com website. Select "Build Your Lexus" all installed and extra options are listed.

2007 RX350 Installed Options:
1. Multi-Stage Heated Seats, Rain-Sensing Wipers and Headlamp Washers - $665.
2. 18" Aluminum Alloy Wheels - $495.
3. Generation 5 Navigation System with Bluetooth, and backup camera - $2650.
4. Premium Plus Package $2960. Includes: Power Tilt-Telescoping Steering Wheel, Roof Rack with Rails, One Touch Moonroof, HID headlamps with AFS, Illuminated Entry Doors,
5. Cargo Mat - $92
6. Wheel Locks - $66
Old 04-22-11, 10:01 AM
Adamjeeps
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Easiest way to see the ML sound system is the center speaker on the dash. Make sure you see the little pop up washers on the top of the front bumper in front of the headlights, this means it has HID lights instead of halogens. If you can see where a power plug for 110 volts is on the right side of the cargo area, it has the rear seat entertainment dvd screen. The air controlled suspension button is beside the button for the headlight washers, you will be hard pressed to find one, and it includes the transmission with the manual shift function.

That about covers the lesser seen options.
Old 04-22-11, 11:30 AM
LexiRX
Rookie

The 2010 RX information can be accessed through the lexus.com website.
I've seen this but 2009 and 2010 are radically different cars so I wouldn't be surprised if the option bundles/packages were different too?

2007 RX350 Installed Options:
Those would be good groups to know about, assuming 2009 was exactly the same options and bundles as 2007... so if it has Roof Rack with Rails for instance - all the other items in the Premium Plus Package should be there.

It's a little more difficult looking only at photos online and relying on seller's descriptions, thus the questions.

Thanks so much for the info!
Old 04-22-11, 11:31 AM
LexiRX
Rookie

That about covers the lesser seen options.
Some good tips - things to watch for - thanks!
Old 04-22-11, 01:58 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The 2007 - 2009 are basically the same. The installed options I quoted above are directly from the factory sticker of my 2007 RX. A better indicator of the Premium Plus Package is the "Moon Roof".

It seems to me that Lexus simply added the Roof Rack with Rails to the PP Package for no reason. Don't all RX's have the roof rack?
Old 04-22-11, 03:25 PM
LexiRX
Rookie

The 2007 - 2009 are basically the same
Again, thanks Rainbird - from what I've seen out there it looks like almost every single RX shipped with the Premium package (including the roof rack and moonroof) - with few rare exceptions. I think the main thing the Premium Plus package added the special headlights above that AFAIK.

Maybe I'm just getting confused because there are so few "extras" anyway - most RX are pretty loaded to start. Hybrid, AWD, Navigation and Premium ML Audio seem to be the big ticket extras. Looks like heated seats were just an extra and not part of a package...
Old 04-22-11, 07:26 PM
koric
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 09 was completely bare bones. No HID, no navi, etc.

My 09 is the the Luxury Value Package. It has headlight washers, HID, Navi, Mark Levinson, heated seats, rear camera, towing pkg. I think it has everything except rear DVD.

When I was looking for our car, my wife just wanted the light gray leather with the black wood interior with white exterior paint. I started noticing the ellipsoid HID headlamps, headlight washers on the front bumper, chrome handles, six spoke wheels, rear camera next to the trunk pull, heated seats ***** and headlight washer button on the shifter console and the Mark Levinson logo above the cd player with speakers on the dash on top of the navi. Last but not least is the hang up and call bluetooth button on the steering wheel. This is everything I noticed differently than my 09 RX.

Cliff notes on what to look for:

Exterior:
1. HID "projector" headlamps
2. Headlight washer on the front bumper right in front of the headlights. "duh"
3. Rear camera next to the trunk pull
4. 6 spoke wheels

Interior:
1. Navi
2. Bluetooth hang up and call button the steering wheel
3. Mark Levinson logo on top of the cd player.
4. Speakers on top of the navi on the dash board
5. Heated seats ***** on the shifter console
6. Headlight washer button on the shifter console

Last edited by koric; 04-22-11 at 07:33 PM.
Old 04-22-11, 07:41 PM
Adamjeeps
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would definitely look for a unit with the air suspension, I hear it rides and handles a good bit better than stock, although would be more expensive to fix if needed.
Old 04-23-11, 01:18 PM
LexiRX
Rookie

Originally Posted by koric
Cliff notes on what to look for:

Exterior:
1. HID "projector" headlamps
2. Headlight washer on the front bumper right in front of the headlights. "duh"
3. Rear camera next to the trunk pull
4. 6 spoke wheels

Interior:
1. Navi
2. Bluetooth hang up and call button the steering wheel
3. Mark Levinson logo on top of the cd player.
4. Speakers on top of the navi on the dash board
5. Heated seats ***** on the shifter console
6. Headlight washer button on the shifter console
Perfect - just the type of things I was looking for.
I *think* if it has NAV it automatically has the backup camera?
Heated seats were important, so I found those controls quickly.
After comments here I finally figured out the little squares in front of the headlights must be the washing system.
I also think *maybe* the washers for those = HID headlamps as well.
Of all the cars I've seen online I think I've only seen one with controls on the RH side of the steering wheel (BT and or maybe ML?)

The more we look, the more we want to get. ha ha
Thanks again everyone for answers!
Old 04-23-11, 01:26 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 410 Likes on 282 Posts

You are probably gonna have a hard time finding an '09. Certainly the choices will be slim. It was a short model year for the RX to begin with and many/most are still too new for the original owners to trade in/come off lease. Also '08 and '09 was during the depths of the recession (we hope!) and sales of all cars were low.