RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

New toys incoming!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-11, 03:33 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by infinirx
There is this company as well. Dunno how to judge quality though. My rotors are warped so I have to change them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT
There are several offering similar brakes, quite a few from Canada. They say Canadian made but I'm pretty sure I smell dim sum. Max Rotors was the oldest I could find any information on, also I didn't want slots and drilled so that was limiting as well.

Hey, at these prices it's a shot, we'll see.
Old 04-14-11, 02:25 AM
RuninRoach
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

ROFL, smell dim sum....hahahahaha
Old 04-14-11, 10:27 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am looking for quality and do not mind a decent price. If they are made in China I dunno if I want them. Metal is prob. very brittle and impure.
Old 04-14-11, 10:42 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

I just got a text from my mechanic, he likes them. They will be on shortly.

The China thing is why I scoured the net looking for negatives. They're selling hundreds of these things (all sellers) on eBay and have since at least '09. The only mention of this brand specifically I could find was on a Dodge truck forum. The guy installed a set last July and posted a bunch of pics. He had responded to questions through October with no complaints so I decided to give them a shot.

I should be tooling around on them this afternoon!
Old 04-14-11, 10:43 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

The link I placed. There shop is local to me. So I am gonna ask if they make them or if they are made in China. See what response I get. Good find by the way.
Old 04-15-11, 05:57 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

I guess this is my "build" thread I wanna be one of the cool kids like the GS and LS crowd!

Anyway, I got it back from the shop with the new drilled rotors and Akebono ceramic pads. Braking is excellent, much better than OEM. This the same combo I had on my RX300 for five years and just didn't want to give it up.

The steering rack was leaking so I had that replaced as well. After that work a four wheel alignment was in order and it is stopping and tracking perfectly.

As you can see in the pic, I had the roof rack removed using the Sewell kit, to my eye it is a much better look.

I had major midlife maintenance done, all fluids replaced, brakes, radiator, steering, M1 oil change, transmission, cabin and air filters. The car was then claybared and detailed.

Next up is the Kenwood double din DNX6960 NAV/DVD/BT/Backup camera install. Most of the parts are here and the unit will arrive next week. So looking forward to that!

Old 04-15-11, 06:30 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Carver, looks great especially the topless part. I would do something about that antenna. At least face it forward so it looks mean
Old 04-16-11, 08:39 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kitlz
Carver, looks great especially the topless part. I would do something about that antenna. At least face it forward so it looks mean
I actually did fold it forward to flatten it and the wind blew it straight up like Alfalfa's topknot so I pushed it back to a more suitably rakish angle. I've wondered about just nubbing it, cut it down to about an inch or relocating it and plugging the hole.

I'm going to ask the installer for some ideas when I get the Kenwood done.
Old 04-16-11, 10:03 AM
koric
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Carver
I actually did fold it forward to flatten it and the wind blew it straight up like Alfalfa's topknot so I pushed it back to a more suitably rakish angle. I've wondered about just nubbing it, cut it down to about an inch or relocating it and plugging the hole.

I'm going to ask the installer for some ideas when I get the Kenwood done.
Then where would you stick your Jack in the box antenna ball?
Old 04-16-11, 11:28 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by koric
Then where would you stick your Jack in the box antenna ball?
I don't know what that is but if you think it's cool then obviously, it's something I should look into right away!
Old 04-16-11, 01:19 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Been looking into the shark fin ones and short antenna but U dunno what ones are legit for this car.
Old 04-20-11, 03:09 PM
Iqraam
Pole Position

Carver the rotor look like they have two deep grooves going through them....or is that just how it is because they're new?
Old 04-20-11, 05:33 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Iqraam
Carver the rotor look like they have two deep grooves going through them....or is that just how it is because they're new?
That silver streak is just the remaining zinc coating left on the rotor. It's almost gone now. Now I have to find a long stretch of road to bed in the brakes.
Old 04-20-11, 05:52 PM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

do u find a BIG difference in brakin?
Old 04-21-11, 09:46 AM
Iqraam
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Carver
That silver streak is just the remaining zinc coating left on the rotor. It's almost gone now. Now I have to find a long stretch of road to bed in the brakes.
So if the Zinc coating is almost gone, then what is the use of getting it? Sorry just dont know much bout these types of rotors.

Quick Reply: New toys incoming!