RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Continental ExtremeContact DWS

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-11, 05:04 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Continental ExtremeContact DWS

Wondering if anyone here has any experience with the Continental ExtremeContact DWS tire. Tire Rack reviews seem very positive and the price seems competitive with others such as the Michelin MXV4. Have had good luck with Continental tires on German production vehicles but not on anything of late nor Lexus. Thinking it might be good for the conditions here in FL.

The Bridgestone Alenza is no longer listed at Tire Rack, so I am guessing it is being replaced by the Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia -- their new fuel-savings tire. The latter is listed as a new tire at Tire Rack. However, that is just a guess as the Alenza is still listed on the Bridgestone web site.
Old 01-07-11, 06:59 PM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Wondering if anyone here has any experience with the Continental ExtremeContact DWS tire. Tire Rack reviews seem very positive and the price seems competitive with others such as the Michelin MXV4. Have had good luck with Continental tires on German production vehicles but not on anything of late nor Lexus. Thinking it might be good for the conditions here in FL.

The Bridgestone Alenza is no longer listed at Tire Rack, so I am guessing it is being replaced by the Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia -- their new fuel-savings tire. The latter is listed as a new tire at Tire Rack. However, that is just a guess as the Alenza is still listed on the Bridgestone web site.
I'm in FL, and have also been looking at the new Continentals (DW and DWS), though not - yet - for the RX, but for the BMW (330Ci). It would seem the DWS is more 'economical' because treadwear is longer than the DW, but, here in FL, I see no need for the "S" of the DWS and will probably go for the DW, which surely have slightly superior grip in dry and wet (dry: compare contact surface of tread; wet: as per reviews in various magazines). Though I do not know anyone who has those tires (and though I have not driven them), the reviews are generally excellent and a comment in one of the European magazines to the effect that the new generation of Contis (DW and DWS) are aimed to provide a better performance value for the $ compared to the competition seems to have been borne out.
I have driven Contis on the MB350 and do not think they are as 'good' as the OEM Michelins that I have on the 18" 09RX350 - less 'nimble'. But they were not the new DW/DWSs.
Old 01-07-11, 07:24 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put these on my 2006 RX400h and absolutely love these tires. I noticed a little softer ride, traction when dry is great, when wet it is great and now we just got the full whammy here 23 inches of snow (12/27) and they are great. Guess what we just cleaned up 4 inches (1/7) and now changed weather report more tomorrow and worse on Tuesday into Wednesday and these are WONDERFUL IN THIS WHITE STUFF. I only have one regret I DID NOT GET THEM EARLIER!!! I would highly recommend these tires.
Old 01-08-11, 04:15 AM
Lex2000TL
Intermediate

Received 95 Likes on 70 Posts

Since the ride if softer, did you notice any difference in steering response or cornering?
Old 01-08-11, 09:47 AM
willyb0b
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm still burning off the stock michelins but i have already decided on the DWS for the next set of meats. i based this solely off of tire rack's customer reviews and their video review.

i need a good all season performance tire here in colorado with the snowy winters
Old 01-08-11, 03:49 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lex2000TL
Since the ride if softer, did you notice any difference in steering response or cornering?
I noticed no difference in steering or cornering but then again I do not explore the limits of tires or handling at all unless I have to take fast evasive maneuvers for safety.
Old 01-08-11, 08:37 PM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by herbvdh
I put these on my 2006 RX400h and absolutely love these tires. I noticed a little softer ride, traction when dry is great, when wet it is great and now we just got the full whammy here 23 inches of snow (12/27) and they are great. Guess what we just cleaned up 4 inches (1/7) and now changed weather report more tomorrow and worse on Tuesday into Wednesday and these are WONDERFUL IN THIS WHITE STUFF. I only have one regret I DID NOT GET THEM EARLIER!!! I would highly recommend these tires.
What a great recommendation! Tks!
Old 01-10-11, 03:20 PM
tod071
Lexus Champion

I'm in need of tires too. Thanks for posting this thread. I just changed tires on my aunt's s550 and were considering the Continentals for my 400h.

How's the road noise on these tires?
Old 01-12-11, 11:10 AM
CometVR4
Pole Position

My father just put these on his RL and he commented he never knew how quiet the car is. I'm going to get to set for the TL because of the good reviews and hopefully good in snow.
Old 01-12-11, 04:46 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

These tires are well PAID FOR NOW I drove to work after we got 9 inches last night the local roads here were not bad snowy but when I made it to my exit I had a rude awakening nobody did a darn thing. I found my ramp was one lane of 9 inches packed (PS an oncoming vehicle would be a head on!) made a left can't find the curb. I was now behind a F350 4WD who was spinning etc. I went right by him later without any trouble.
Old 01-12-11, 06:37 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks for all the input. Will not have to worry so much about snow as I try to avoid going north this time of year. A light dusting to an inch or two is about all I ever suffer, and that is nothing.

Was more interested in hearing about user input on how quiet these were and how they might handle in the rain which is more a problem down here in FL. Looks like they will possibly be more quiet than the Alenzas and at least as good in all other aspects with the exception of perhaps tread life.

Glad to see that as time has progressed in my 2004 RX330 that the tire selection has gone from two average tires to a number of very good ones.

BTW, the Alenzas showed back up on the Tire Rack web site for those interested.
Old 01-15-11, 10:01 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by herbvdh
These tires are well PAID FOR NOW I drove to work after we got 9 inches last night the local roads here were not bad snowy but when I made it to my exit I had a rude awakening nobody did a darn thing. I found my ramp was one lane of 9 inches packed (PS an oncoming vehicle would be a head on!) made a left can't find the curb. I was now behind a F350 4WD who was spinning etc. I went right by him later without any trouble.
Thanks for the feedback. How much did it cost, out the door?
Old 01-15-11, 10:01 AM
mandyfig

My Michelin MXV4's are on its way out. Been keen on tire discussions as of late. This Conti might be a good option.
Old 01-15-11, 10:02 AM
mandyfig

Except that Costco does not carry them. Wonder if Sears does. These are the only 2 places I have gone to for tires lately.
Old 01-15-11, 10:55 AM
Nick318
Driver

go google it or visit the stores!!! thanks

Quick Reply: Continental ExtremeContact DWS