RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

kick panels, custom subwoofer enclosures or active space saving subs

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-10, 04:42 AM
alitech
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kick panels, custom subwoofer enclosures or active space saving subs

This is most annoying. I have been searching the web for over a month and I have not been able to find a single website that makes or sells custom subwoofer boxes for the trunk of an RX 300,330,350,400h

I mean, its a pretty popular car isnt it? I am sure there are hundreds of people like me who want to retain as much cabin space as possible and have a great sounding sub woofer as well?

I could find custon built boxes for LS and GS models but nothing for RX. Not even a picture of a DIY job. I have seen DIY jobs, but none of them space saving or practical where you dont have your speakers hiding under the trunk base (thats just out of order, how will you ever be able to pull good base from speakers under an inch of wood?

Are there any custom made solutions I can take advantage of? has ayone had this done or bought a

Is a kick panel the same thing as a custom space saving subwoofer enclosure?

I dont want to resort to an aftermarket space saving sub, the reviews are terrible and I would ideally like to get something that sounds and looks great in the trunk compromising as little space as possible.

HELP!
Old 10-21-10, 08:04 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I had my installer do a custom fiberglass enclosure under the cargo area with 2 JL subwoofers. Bass was definitely not a problem at all with the cover. He also fitted kick panels in the foot rest area, again in fiberglass. I had the carpeted floor mats cut and edged so they'd fit. All speakers were replaced - Diamond Hex in the kick panels, JL in the back doors. New Zapco amps, crossover, JL Clean Sweep and the VAIS soundlinq rounded it all out. The best part, everything was hidden.

Cheap? No, but it was worth it to me.
Attached Thumbnails kick panels, custom subwoofer enclosures or active space saving subs-user110411_pic6137_1249487837.jpg   kick panels, custom subwoofer enclosures or active space saving subs-user110411_pic6134_1249487531.jpg  

Last edited by kitlz; 10-21-10 at 05:27 PM.
Old 10-21-10, 07:10 PM
rich001
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You can take a look at my RX 05 on Car Domain, I posted a bunch of pics on my audio/ video build some years ago. The part you're looking for would be on page 2. Four 8 in. Rockford Fosgate subwoofers under the rear hatch area, and no, they are not firing into a 1/2" piece of wood. Totally customed the rear, lost no space.

Here's the link:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2413004
Old 10-21-10, 10:45 PM
veleno
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen Rich001 and Kitlz's install and they look very clean. Good Job guys!

Kick panels are not sub enclosures. Their main function is to hold either a mid bass, mid range and/or tweeters. With that said, there is nothing stopping you from installing a sub woofer in that location provided you have enough space with the right driver.

There are some shallow mount subs that are considered at the top end of SQ subs. You would just have to do a little searching for them as they are not produced anymore but still pop up for sale every now and then. Alto Mobile Falstaff and Phase Linear Aliante to name a few. They're not cheap, so be prepared to pay around $400-$500 for a single 10". If you want these subs, send me a PM.

I think the reason you don't see any pre-made enclosures for the RX is because it's not a car that is modded often. Sure you have some here and there, but they are far and few and a very small percentage compared to how many were sold world wide.

Like the guys on top I should be installing my system very soon. I just need to find the time!
Old 10-22-10, 02:49 AM
alitech
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys for your replies. I have seen the installs and I am amazed the time and effort you guys have put into this work. Well done and kudos. Looking at all this stuff has opened my mind up to new possibilities but I did intially only want a little custom enclosure that can hold just one 8" or 10" sub. I dont want to go over board with the ICE as a) I cannot afford it b) i dont have the time c) i dont have a need for a full on system like you guys.

I did however spend about £1300 (around $2000) on my aftermarket ICE just recently, but utilised all the stock speakers and amp. It didnt really go down well, because although I have all the toys I need in the car, looks good etc etc, it just sounds terrible. I was hoping the sound would improve from as I am replacing my head unit to aftermarket, alas, that didnt happen. It sounds baaad! So now, I have decided to change the stock amp and add a sub woofer, only I just cannot compromise on the space. I need as much as possible hence my question above. I may decide to change the stock speakers later on when I have a little more money.

So once again, although you guys have done an excellent job, hats off to you, I just need some guidance on where to get a simple sub enclosure that fits in nicely between the rear hatch and either side of the shock strut pillars.
Old 10-22-10, 02:56 AM
alitech
Driver School Candidate

I tried a different search term "toyota harrier sub woofer" and found a Malaysian website that have done custom fiberglass moulds on the harrier.

http://kklau.com.my/Custom-Fabrication-Fiberglass/

This is what I see on this page.

If I get something like this, that would do me good! Emailed these guys, lets see what they say.

Once again, I am surprised that not many people have done custom installs on RXs. Can hardly anything on the search engines.
Old 10-22-10, 03:08 AM
alitech
Driver School Candidate

Found another one here

http://online.cartens-audio.com/inst...ations?start=2

The subs behind the pillars look good and will not get in the way at all. Not sure what size speakers they will take though. The junk in the middle and the big sub facing downwards will be redundant.

Hopefully they stock these.
Old 10-22-10, 04:50 AM
veleno
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen those pictures before and they're all custom. I doubt they have (although those guys in Malaysia seem to mod more than here in the U.S.) molds ready to roll out enclosures on order but ICBW.

The picture utilizing the towers behind the seat looks like they're nothing more than mid bass drivers, roughly 6-1/2". Now if you can get an 8" sub mounted in a similar fashion then you should be good to go.

Do you have any local shops that do custom fiberglass (or even mdf) work that you can have build you something?
Old 10-22-10, 08:28 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

+1 on finding a place that does custom fiberglass. I was lucky that my installer was very creative and made all the pieces in house.

I opted for the clean look in the back. If you opened the cargo area, not a speck of equipment could be seen. It was all hidden underneath. It's amazing how much room is there.
Old 11-04-10, 01:26 AM
jmonkie76
Driver School Candidate

I've been searching around for something like these too. I'm very interested in the one from Malaysia.

kitlz, just curious how difficult is it to change your spare or rotate tires? Do you have to take any extra precaution when getting the tools out or removing the spare tire?
Old 11-04-10, 03:26 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

jmonkie, the tray closest to the seats was removed. The installer made indents in the fiberglass to hold the jack and stuff. Everything was easily accessible. The only bad part was removing the spare. Wires from one of the amps partially blocked the loop to lower the spare, making it a little difficult but not impossible to do. Fortunately I only had to do it once when I changed out the tires.

Last edited by kitlz; 11-04-10 at 03:33 AM.
Old 02-12-11, 09:57 PM
chitownduc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by alitech
I tried a different search term "toyota harrier sub woofer" and found a Malaysian website that have done custom fiberglass moulds on the harrier.

If I get something like this, that would do me good! Emailed these guys, lets see what they say.
Did you ever hear back from these guys? I'd be curious to know what they would charge for this kind of work. I talked about doing something like this with a local shop but it was a little too spendy. Too bad no one does them pre-fab.
Old 02-22-11, 03:52 PM
VanGuy10
Driver School Candidate

Hey, I know exactly what your going through. I spent ALOT of time researching the best way to put subs in the back. Nobody wanted what I wanted. MAX trunkspace and MAX sound. They told me it was impossible. So I did what any hard headed person would, go out & prove them wrong. I'm literally installing everything tomorrow, but I'll show you for sure. This is the only picture I have currently.

Old 02-22-11, 05:52 PM
Smartazz91
Driver School Candidate

@ VanGuy10. NICE!! I'm thinking of doing something in the same space but with MDF. ED has a couple subs that could do well there. Was the tool tray difficult to remove? Do you plan to remove the lid or will you modify it to let the sound pass?
Thanks
Old 02-22-11, 07:09 PM
VanGuy10
Driver School Candidate

I have a JL audio 10w3v3 Im putting in. I actually hav two, but am starting off with one just to test how it sounds.
Im not sure what "MDF" is. I assume "ED" is a company?? dunno wat it is either lol.
Tray was not difficult to remove. remove black tabs @ both sides, angle a bit & pull. Might be hard to angle it out, but relatively easy. In the 7yrs that ive gad it, i have never used it since buying the vehicle brand new. Pkus, that jack system REALLY blows. If its raining/ cold which it always is in Oregon, changing ur tires is awful. I have AAA for that. Also i maintain all my cars very well, so most likely i wont be stuck. *knock on wood*
I'll definitely be keeping the lid, sound should pass through it just fine. I value trunk space & keeping it hidden beyond all else. Form & Function go hand in hand. I dont want to lose trunk space & sure as hell dont want people breaking my window for a damn sub. happened to my friend in high school.
I'll be keeping the rubber mat & just cutting a hole in it to allow the air to flow. That Lexus trunk floor mat is pretty thick stuff. I dont know about ur sub, but i have a grill covering for my sub. with that & the floor panel I should be golden.
My fiberglass box is almost ready, installin tomorrow. Any other questions just ask.
Oh, and im also installing a generic AUX adapter. The Vaistech one is ridiculously priced. Why would I want to watch a movie off the nav screen? $240 to watch on a tiny screen? Bring a laptop is my suggestion. Why distract the driver with a movie? retarded idea. The one I got is $90 bucks, charges ur ipod too. If the sound quality isnt good, then i might get the vaistech. but its still $220 for just the aux version. Anyhow im ranting now... hope this answers ur question

Quick Reply: kick panels, custom subwoofer enclosures or active space saving subs