RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Service options

Old 09-13-10, 01:17 PM
JohnSFranc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service options

I have a RX 400h and live in Charlottesville, VA. The nearest Lexus dealership is 1.25 hours away in Richmond which is a pain. I do not trust the local Toyota dealership. Has anyone experience -good or bad - of using non Lexus/Toyota dealerships for service and repairs? Who should I trust? Are there some good questions to ask to find out if they're up to it? Thanks
Old 09-13-10, 01:47 PM
Adamjeeps
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I am really close to Charlottesville. I have used the Toyota dealer one time, to repair the parking brake on my left rear wheel. It came apart when I was changing the rotors and I needed the parts anyway so they fixed it for me and did a good job. I DIY most things and have not had my Lexus serviced anywhere else other than the Lexus dealer for warranty items. Any particular reason you don't trust them? I am sure there are some shops around who are competent. What does your vehicle call for as far as maintenance? Unless it is related specifically to the hybrid system, there is nothing that most shops have not done countless times before.
Old 09-13-10, 01:57 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Many members of this forum have minor maintenance done at Toyota dealerships. The cost is significantly lower than at Lexus. Other members have work done at private shops or DIY. Just make sure you save all invoices and have the work done at the required intervals. Your warranty will not be affected by not using the Lexus dealership. The RX shares many of the same service points with the Highlander and Camry. However, all warranty work must be done at Lexus. Be sure to use the "search" function on Club Lexus, almost any question has most likely been answered before.

Register your vehicle with the "My Lexus" website. The Lexus dealerships post everything they do regarding your vehicle. You can also post minor maintenance there as well. (Link Below)

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home
Old 09-13-10, 04:56 PM
howdybob22
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me, I trust my Toyota dealership more than the Lexus. I just had my rear diff oil changed out, and the Lexus dealer saying it was dark and needing to change out. I told him that it was just done a few days earlier then he said nothing. Also, they were wanting to change out the tires on my IS saying it was illegal to drive them that worn out. When I had the tires changed out by a tires shop, the shop said that I still had 30% of tread life left and not to do business again with whomever saying it was completely worn out.