RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Rear Rotors can not replace

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-12, 12:46 PM
PghLex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Ditto, the 2 bolt holes will release the rotors. Just do it slow and evenly. It will pop off.
Is this the SAME process for the Front AND Rear rotors once the caliper is out of the way? (07 RX350)

My primary concern is that there are parking brake "parts" around rear rotors that either get in the way, need removed first, or are attached in a way that makes the rear rotors unable to just "pop off" like you said. I don't want to start on a job and find I am missing a part/tool.

And if you happen to know what size bolt, that would help as well.

Thanks.
Old 11-28-12, 08:25 PM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

Received 63 Likes on 17 Posts

I think they are M10 1.25.

I know the pitch is 1.25 I think. Those two bolt holes are how you get a stubborn rotar / frum assembly out.
Old 12-04-12, 11:45 PM
ho0n
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Adamjeeps
Put the vehicle in neutral, I think that is why the hub won't turn. The rotor eventually came off with prying.
Second. If you put the car in neutral and shut the ignition off, you won't be able to turn your key cylinder to the open position. Make sure to secure your other wheels so your car doesn't haphazardly roll off while you're bent over into the wheel well, but my rotor, which was pretty rusted, popped off on its own as I worked out the bracket bolt with a rubber hammer and wrench.
Old 09-02-13, 04:09 PM
harry88key
Driver School Candidate

Default Rear Rotor RX350

Thanks everyone! This helped me remove rear rotors on my wife's RX. The bolts to use are 8mm x 1.25 pitch. Put penetrating oil around the hub then turn each bolt about a half a turn at a time each. Comes right off. The parking brakes are inside like someone said and look just like drum brakes. These were scrubbing a little making noise so I adjusted them when changing the pads, so she didn't need a bearing like she thought. Thanks again for the great tips!
Old 02-21-16, 09:19 PM
xanderak
Driver School Candidate

Talking

Hey guys thanks much for all the advice. I want to share some more info so that hopefully more people don't make the same mistake I did!

There are 2 ways it can get stuck - rust/install press fit, and parking brake engagement.

To break the rotor off the hub use the M8 screws. Use good ones (8.8 or 10.9) or you might break the bolt and then you're stuck. Only screw them in a thread or 3, just enough to separare the rotor. The rotor hopefully will slide off easily now. If not - DON'T continue screwing the jacking bolts! The parking brake is stuck and you'll damage it (like me)!

To unstick the parking brake -
First make sure it's off (duh!
Pop out the rubber plug and rotate the hole to the bottom. If it's stuck, try putting a lugnut back on and using the tire iron.
When you get it to the bottom, look for a star wheel below the hole. Rotate it down, towards you with a flathead screwdriver. You'll hear a spring popping with each tooth.
Rotor should now slide right off.

If you're now reading this after you've already broken a few of the tiny parking brake parts... Sorry! But there is hope. I broke one of the aluminum spring caps and bent ont of the spring guide pins. Was able to take out the pin and bend it back with a pipe wrench. Same for the cap, was able to bend it back with a pair of tiny pliers. Getting it all back together is a mfer but is possible. If in doubt go buy new parts; you dont want it to fall apart on the road. Good luck!!

Rear spring, pin, cap, and washer

Star wheel location

Spring assembly after I bent it back