RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Certain 2007 RX350 needs VVT-i Oil hose replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-09, 12:33 AM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Got mine done today. 2 hrs, topped off fuel tank, wash and vacuum, 2 chocolates.

Long live Lexus!
Old 12-08-09, 04:43 AM
RxInAtl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 07 had this leak last year at this time. About 2 qts leaked out, down my street and all over my driveway. I thought the engine was on fire with all of the smoke coming out! Dealer said they had seen a few with this problem and they had a new hose to fix it then. They also replace a bunch of other parts that had become saturated with the oil.

Glad I wasn't on the highway going on a trip somewhere!
Old 12-09-09, 12:50 PM
dshenmdyn
Driver School Candidate

I received letter in the mail for this Limited Service Campaign as well for my 2008 RX350 FWD. For what is worth, mine was assembled in Canada. Not sure if this matters to which car is within the scope of the LSC.

I did more research online and found that this is a wide spread problem with the 2GR-FE (v6) engine used in many Toyota models. People on the Toyota forums are still complaining that Toyota chose NOT replace with a full metal tube (instead, replace still with another rubber one). I have yet to make an appointment. But I am certainly very concerned since people are saying that the rubber one (at the least the original one) will break between 45k and 65k and can cause catastrophic damage to the engine. If that happens outside of the warranty, it will be really devastating.

Some more links I found online

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=319259

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forum...howtopic=22775

http://www.edmunds.com/repairshops/a...as/Olathe.html

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=285250

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forum...howtopic=20320

Last edited by dshenmdyn; 12-10-09 at 09:55 AM.
Old 12-09-09, 03:02 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

[QUOTE=dshenmdyn;5061528]I received letter in the mail for this Limited the rubber one (at the least the original one) will break between 45k and 65k and can cause catastrophic damage to the engineer. If that happens outside of the warranty, it will be really devastating.

QUOTE]

Damage to the engine you mean? Or to the Engineer?
Old 12-09-09, 04:36 PM
davesmith
Driver School Candidate

here's what lexus wrote:
Limited Service Campaign (LSC 9LH) Q&A
2007 through 2009 Model Year RX 350 Vehicles with the V6 (2GR-FE) Engine
VVT-i Oil Hose Replacement
Q1: What is the condition?
A1: On certain 2007 though 2009 model year RX 350 vehicles with the V6 (2GR-FE) engine, the rubber portion of the oil supply hose for the VVT-i actuator may degrade over time. This condition may cause oil to leak from the VVT-i oil hose producing abnormal engine noise and the oil pressure light to illuminate.
Q2: What is the cause of this condition?
A2: The rubber portion of the engine oil supply hose for the VVT-i actuator may develop a pinhole. Over time, exposure to small amounts of corrosive gases from the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) may cause this pinhole in the hose to expand. As a result oil may leak from the hose.
Q3: Are there any warnings that this condition exists?
A3: Yes, this condition may cause abnormal engine noise and/or the oil pressure light to illuminate.
Q4: Which and how many vehicles are involved?
A4: There are approximately 197,000 vehicles involved.
Model Year
Affected Vehicles
Approx UIO
2007-2009
RX 350
Q5: Are there any other Toyota, Scion or Lexus vehicles involved?
A5: Yes, there are approximately 173,000 Avalon (model year 2005-2006) and RAV4 (2006 model year) vehicles involved.
Toyota is currently investigating how this condition may affect other Toyota and Lexus vehicles.
Q8: When will this Limited Service Campaign expire?
A8: This Limited Service Campaign will be offered until March 31, 2013.
Q9: How long will the repair take?
A9: The repair will take approximately one hour. However, depending upon the dealer’s work schedule, it may be necessary to make the vehicle available for a longer period of time.
Old 12-09-09, 08:53 PM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

The wife to our 08RX in to Lexus of Roseville today, she was told 4 hours. They offered an oil change for $69 so we did that while it was there. After almost 4 an a half hours they said they were not done yet. My wife wasn't to happy, an other half an hour and it was finally done they told my wife they had a lunch party that had them running behind. They gave here the oil change for free a full tank of gas and washed the car because of the wait. She did get a new 10 RX for the loaner, her only comments were you dont need a key to start it and she liked the vented seats.
Jeff
Old 12-10-09, 09:55 AM
dshenmdyn
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=mandyfig;5061953]
Originally Posted by dshenmdyn
I received letter in the mail for this Limited the rubber one (at the least the original one) will break between 45k and 65k and can cause catastrophic damage to the engineer. If that happens outside of the warranty, it will be really devastating.

QUOTE]

Damage to the engine you mean? Or to the Engineer?
Damage to the engine :-(
Old 12-10-09, 06:33 PM
aznpunk97
Driver School Candidate

What does the oil hose look like and where is it located? Sorry I'm not a car person but I want to make sure it's not leaking now and want to make sure when I take it in this Saturday that it was changed.

Thanks
Old 12-11-09, 07:23 AM
krzysiu
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got letter few days ago from Lexus to have the oil hose replaced with a "newly designed" rubber hose on my '07 RX350, but after reading this:

http://sites.google.com/site/toyotav6oillinescandal/

I am not sure if "newly designed rubber" is the best choice?! Did anyone tried to have LEXUS replace it with more durable, ALL-METAL construction? See attached picture.
Attached Thumbnails Certain 2007 RX350 needs VVT-i Oil hose replacement-oilhose.jpg  

Last edited by krzysiu; 12-11-09 at 10:38 AM.
Old 12-11-09, 03:59 PM
davesmith
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jgr7
The wife to our 08RX in to Lexus of Roseville today, she was told 4 hours. They offered an oil change for $69 so we did that while it was there. After almost 4 an a half hours they said they were not done yet. My wife wasn't to happy, an other half an hour and it was finally done they told my wife they had a lunch party that had them running behind. They gave here the oil change for free a full tank of gas and washed the car because of the wait. She did get a new 10 RX for the loaner, her only comments were you dont need a key to start it and she liked the vented seats.
Jeff
the actual repair only takes up to 1 hour, the reason they told you 4hrs because it was probably a busy day, they weren't ready to do the work as soon as you dropped it off, they gave you a car to drive for that reason. Why would you get upset?

Remember the Loaner cars are supposedly given out if a warranty repair that takes 8hrs or longer or has to be kept over night at the dealership.
Old 12-11-09, 04:15 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by krzysiu
Did anyone tried to have LEXUS replace it with more durable, ALL-METAL construction? See attached picture.
According to my service guy, that's exactly what they've done, replaced the old metal/rubber line with the metal one.
Old 12-11-09, 09:11 PM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by davesmith
the actual repair only takes up to 1 hour, the reason they told you 4hrs because it was probably a busy day, they weren't ready to do the work as soon as you dropped it off, they gave you a car to drive for that reason. Why would you get upset?

Remember the Loaner cars are supposedly given out if a warranty repair that takes 8hrs or longer or has to be kept over night at the dealership.
First off they called us, we didn't get the letter. They told us 4 hours to do the one hour job before we even made the appointment. They offered the loaner we didn't ask for it. They said they were running behind because of a holiday party not heavy repair day. When you drive an hour to get to the dealer then leave for four hours and come back and your car is not done for another hour and then you have to drive home in commute traffic because of the delay of a holiday party at the dealer it can upset you. The service writer knew this was wrong thats why she gave the oil change for free.
I had trouble with this dealer last time I went to them, they said they rotated my tires but never even took them off the car. I won't be going to them again.
Jeff
Old 12-12-09, 09:05 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

My dealer is 107 miles away. I had to leave the 2007 RX350 overnight because of warranty work. They also scheduled this oil hose replacement. The service manager mentioned they would need to wait until the oil in the engine cooled down before replacing the oil hose.

I was given a loaner car. My RX350 was delivered (107 miles) the next day. The fuel was topped off and cleaned inside and out. Excellent service and they actually fixed the cargo latch rattle that has been driving me nuts.
Old 12-12-09, 10:13 AM
lvn098
Rookie

Originally Posted by arnieosp
According to my service guy, that's exactly what they've done, replaced the old metal/rubber line with the metal one.
--

Not on mine, the Service guy said they put a new designed rubber tube.
Old 12-12-09, 12:49 PM
krzysiu
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lvn098
--

Not on mine, the Service guy said they put a new designed rubber tube.
Well, it seems like we are starting to get some "inconsistencies" throughout different states in regards to "rubber" vs. "all-metal" replacement!!!!
On Monday I will post few pictures of my '07 RX350 to show those who do not know where the hose is located, where it is and what it looks like under the hood. This way, one will be able to easily check after the replacement what exactly was replaced by the dealer and one will easily tell if he/she got one piece, all-metal, or "improved rubber" hose. I am personally deeply concerned that the rubber will not last as long as all-metal. What will happen to the rubber after the warranty expires? If it deteriorates and starts leaking oil, let say 5 years from replacement date, my best guess is that we will just have to replace the engine?!?! I know for a FACT that ALL ES 350's (they share the same engine as our RX 350) build in JAPAN, have ALL-METAL connector! That makes one wonder why Japanese DIDN'T use the "improved rubber design"!!!!!!!!!!
If one was producing and/or designing CONTRACEPTIVES, then "improved rubber design" might serve its purpose and actually could be something for a person to be happy about, but when it comes to SAFETY and car engines, I think that metal is more durable than rubber and all-metal tube that carries hot oil under pressure would give me, personally, a Peace of Mind.

Last edited by krzysiu; 12-12-09 at 01:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Certain 2007 RX350 needs VVT-i Oil hose replacement