RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Certain 2007 RX350 needs VVT-i Oil hose replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-10, 04:44 PM
Claude7629
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by daihung
I made an appointment with the Lexus dealer next Saturday to do this recall. The lady who scheduled the appointment has no idea how they'd fix the problem and what kind of parts they'll use. She told me to ask the service technician on THE DAY of the service. How do I find out if they're giving me the rubber hose replacement (most likely it is?) You have to get congressman involved to get Lexus to use the all metal oil line? Is there an easier way to present the case to the Lexus dealer to make them use the metal oil line? Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Okay, here is what I did. I called my local Lexus dealer. I asked for the parts department. I then asked them what they were using as a replacement for his hose. He told me another rubber hose was being used for "warranty" work. I then gave him the information I got here on this foum about an all metal hose. I heard him asking someone else about this and he informed me he could order me an all metal hose for $23.00. I said "well I would like for you to do that". As he was ordering this for me he told me that is what came up on his computer whenever he put in the original part #. An all metal hose. So I assume Lexus has sent out a "band aid" fix without the dealers' having to order anything. But if you order this part using the same old part # you will get the metal hose. He also told me this is the same part being used now on the 2009 models.
So I ask you, Is Lexus becoming more like their American counterparts? Take care of the short term. Don't think ahead. Watch the bottom line for the next quarter instead of the next 10 or 20years. The customer is not as important as keeping our cost down. We will take our chances. All the things that brought down the American auto makers.
Old 03-22-10, 04:58 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Claude7629
Okay, here is what I did. I called my local Lexus dealer. I asked for the parts department. I then asked them what they were using as a replacement for his hose. He told me another rubber hose was being used for "warranty" work. I then gave him the information I got here on this foum about an all metal hose. I heard him asking someone else about this and he informed me he could order me an all metal hose for $23.00. I said "well I would like for you to do that". As he was ordering this for me he told me that is what came up on his computer whenever he put in the original part #. An all metal hose. So I assume Lexus has sent out a "band aid" fix without the dealers' having to order anything. But if you order this part using the same old part # you will get the metal hose. He also told me this is the same part being used now on the 2009 models.
So I ask you, Is Lexus becoming more like their American counterparts? Take care of the short term. Don't think ahead. Watch the bottom line for the next quarter instead of the next 10 or 20years. The customer is not as important as keeping our cost down. We will take our chances. All the things that brought down the American auto makers.
The metal line is a lot more labor time.You better ask if the dealer will do the install under the recall.
Old 03-22-10, 05:48 PM
japoipnoi
Driver School Candidate

Did you get a part
number for the metal hose?

he could order me an all metal hose for $23.00
Can you post the
number? It might
be on the receipt.
Old 03-23-10, 03:28 AM
Claude7629
Rookie

Originally Posted by japoipnoi
Did you get a part
number for the metal hose?

Can you post the
number? It might
be on the receipt.
The part # did not change.... From what he told me, when he orders the old part # Lexus sends the metal hose. The rubber repalcement hose he is using under "warranty "repairs is just being sent to dealers without having to order.
Old 03-25-10, 10:22 AM
IRVRX350
Driver School Candidate

The official replacement part is the 'improved' rubber hose. You need to request the dealer to put on an all metal line but you can see that it's very inconsistent from dealer to dealer.

I contacted NHTSA and congressman to push Toyota to acknowledge that the failure of the rubber hose IS a safety issue. Congressman didn't provide help on my specific case.

I made an appointment with the Lexus dealer next Saturday to do this recall. The lady who scheduled the appointment has no idea how they'd fix the problem and what kind of parts they'll use. She told me to ask the service technician on THE DAY of the service. How do I find out if they're giving me the rubber hose replacement (most likely it is?) You have to get congressman involved to get Lexus to use the all metal oil line? Is there an easier way to present the case to the Lexus dealer to make them use the metal oil line? Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Old 03-25-10, 01:34 PM
oklanny
Driver School Candidate

I got my hose replaced on the 2007 RX 350. I was told it is the improved rubber hose and the metal hose is not an option.

Has anybody installed the metal hose yet?
Old 03-26-10, 03:15 PM
travelguy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by oklanny
I got my hose replaced on the 2007 RX 350. I was told it is the improved rubber hose and the metal hose is not an option.

Has anybody installed the metal hose yet?
oklanny,
I have had my 2008 ES repaired for the defective hose oil line with the all metal line available from Lexus. For both you and member "daihung" I am linking some posted information from the ES350 section of this forum. Some of the discussions may assist daihung if the repairs have not already been completed. As you both will see from the comments the dealers are responding to a customers request for the all metal line differently. However, I
believe if you make a case for a permanent repair and safety and ask them to go the extra mile if they deny your request initially they can receive permission to install the all metal line. See the first link https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...k-miles-2.html The picture of the two replacement lines I feel tell the real story. You will notice from the second link that forum members have different opinions regarding the effectiveness of the all metal line over the upgraded hose replacement. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...k-miles-3.html You may want to take this information into consideration before a sometimes long and drawn out process of requesting the all metal line. I had no real resistance to my request for the all metal line, but I was thankful for not having to pay for the metal replacement because that is what I was going to insist on as my repair. You will notice the part number for the all metal line and this may assist daihung in his efforts. If I can be of any additional assistance, don't hesitate to ask. Good luck.
Old 03-26-10, 10:52 PM
daihung
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by travelguy
oklanny,
I have had my 2008 ES repaired for the defective hose oil line with the all metal line available from Lexus. For both you and member "daihung" I am linking some posted information from the ES350 section of this forum. Some of the discussions may assist daihung if the repairs have not already been completed. As you both will see from the comments the dealers are responding to a customers request for the all metal line differently. However, I
believe if you make a case for a permanent repair and safety and ask them to go the extra mile if they deny your request initially they can receive permission to install the all metal line. See the first link https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...k-miles-2.html The picture of the two replacement lines I feel tell the real story. You will notice from the second link that forum members have different opinions regarding the effectiveness of the all metal line over the upgraded hose replacement. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...k-miles-3.html You may want to take this information into consideration before a sometimes long and drawn out process of requesting the all metal line. I had no real resistance to my request for the all metal line, but I was thankful for not having to pay for the metal replacement because that is what I was going to insist on as my repair. You will notice the part number for the all metal line and this may assist daihung in his efforts. If I can be of any additional assistance, don't hesitate to ask. Good luck.
Thanks Travelguy. I'll take sometime to read through the two posts. I'm scheduled to do this recall next Saturday. I called the parts department and the guy told me they use the metal hose replacement. However, a few days ago I happen to stop by a different lexus dealership and went into the parts department. The guy told me lexus only use the improved rubber hose as replacement and doesn't know about any metal line replacement. He might not aware there is a metal hose replacement. I'm going to print out the picture of the two hose and show it to the dealership sometime this week before the service to make sure they use the all metal one.
Old 03-27-10, 06:29 AM
travelguy
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Travelguy. I'll take sometime to read through the two posts. I'm scheduled to do this recall next Saturday. I called the parts department and the guy told me they use the metal hose replacement. However, a few days ago I happen to stop by a different lexus dealership and went into the parts department. The guy told me lexus only use the improved rubber hose as replacement and doesn't know about any metal line replacement. He might not aware there is a metal hose replacement. I'm going to print out the picture of the two hose and show it to the dealership sometime this week before the service to make sure they use the all metal one.
dailhung,
Glad to hear that this information was helpful. That's exactly how I was able to insist on the all metal replacement line was through information I received from knowledgeable people on the forum. I'm sure you and your family will feel safer with the all metal replacement no matter how safe the upgraded hose may prove to be in the long run. Good luck.
Old 03-29-10, 08:10 PM
daihung
Driver School Candidate

I actually stopped by the local lexus dealer today and asked them again what kind of parts they are using for this replacement. They told me they only use the rubber hose and not the metal line. I told them the other dealerships do the metal line replacement and they said unless corporate pays for it, they're not doing it.

I'll try to call Lexus corporate tomorrow. However, I don't have a good feeling that they will agree to the metal line.

My service is this coming Saturday. If I get the run around from lexus corporate and the local dealer, should I postpone this service? I'm planning on taking a few road trips this summer and want to get this recall done.
Old 03-30-10, 01:39 AM
ecrane
Rookie

I actually stopped by the local lexus dealer today and asked them again what kind of parts they are using for this replacement. They told me they only use the rubber hose and not the metal line. I told them the other dealerships do the metal line replacement and they said unless corporate pays for it, they're not doing it.

I'll try to call Lexus corporate tomorrow. However, I don't have a good feeling that they will agree to the metal line.

My service is this coming Saturday. If I get the run around from lexus corporate and the local dealer, should I postpone this service? I'm planning on taking a few road trips this summer and want to get this recall done.
with the relative merits of the metal line aside, not replacing the oil line that Lexus is "worried" about with one they're not worried about doesn't seem to be a winning approach....
Old 03-31-10, 03:56 PM
daihung
Driver School Candidate

Alright, just got off the phone with Allison from Lexus Corporate regarding this VVT-I issue. She said the new design rubber hose is what Lexus decided to use as replacement and that is their final decision. They will not pay for the all metal line replacement because it's NOT recommended by them. She further said if I, the owner, insist on using the metal line, I can pay for the part and labor myself to get it replace. However, Lexus will not be responsible for any consequences as a result on using this part. That means if the metal line goes wrong, Lexus will not do anything because I didn’t use their recommended rubber hose. The conversation ended ugly.

I guess I have no other choice but to go with this rubber hose unless I pay for it myself. Even if I go ahead and pay for it and something goes wrong in the future, Lexus will say "See, I told you to use the rubber hose, it's not our problem now."
Old 04-01-10, 08:46 AM
travelguy
Driver School Candidate

Alright, just got off the phone with Allison from Lexus Corporate regarding this VVT-I issue. She said the new design rubber hose is what Lexus decided to use as replacement and that is their final decision. They will not pay for the all metal line replacement because it's NOT recommended by them. She further said if I, the owner, insist on using the metal line, I can pay for the part and labor myself to get it replace. However, Lexus will not be responsible for any consequences as a result on using this part. That means if the metal line goes wrong, Lexus will not do anything because I didn’t use their recommended rubber hose. The conversation ended ugly.

I guess I have no other choice but to go with this rubber hose unless I pay for it myself. Even if I go ahead and pay for it and something goes wrong in the future, Lexus will say "See, I told you to use the rubber hose, it's not our problem now."
daihung,
I'm really sorry to hear the out come of your efforts. There have been so many different scenarios of the repair program that it makes you wonder who is being honest and when are individuals just being obstinate. I am not sure how knowledgeable this Allison person is regarding the repairs, but she is giving you the policy in your area. I mentioned in my earlier post that my dealership's service writer took it upon himself to address the issue. He said he would do some research. The next day he emailed me that his rep., whomever that individual was had given him permission to repair my vehicle with the metal line at no charge. Nothing said about me being on my own for requesting the metal line. Maybe the authorized dealer making the request is the correct procedure, if they are willing to do it for you. The fact that Allison implies that you are on your own if you have the metal line installed makes no sense except to discourage you from making the request. This is my opinion. Lexus is installing the metal line in their production line process on every vehicle. Same engine, same remedy, please, what does that tell you. I would assume from her comments, Lexus is not responsible for that metal line installation as it comes off the production line. Additionally, any work an authorized Lexus dealer would do should be covered or they should just not do the work. You should reasonably have no options, just like the safety recall regarding the gas pedal, you have no option. I apologize for ranting, but whenever I speak with someone regarding my safety, I expect them to make sense. The upgraded hose repair will no doubt correct your immediate concerns and is provided by Lexus, however, the all metal line, provided by Lexus, IMO, would appear to be the permanent solution. Good luck.
Old 04-06-10, 05:23 PM
Claude7629
Rookie

I appreciate the rant 'Travelguy' . Look back at my last post. The metal hose is the one being put on the 2009 models now. Common sense tells me which way to go.
Old 03-26-20, 09:42 PM
leroyjnav
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone who has had the replacement rubber hose experienced any problems with it? breaking, leaking? I had my hose replaced at 28k miles and now I have 202k miles with no problems, but I am wondering how long it will last?

Quick Reply: Certain 2007 RX350 needs VVT-i Oil hose replacement