RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Navigation system wrong setting, need help

Old 05-02-09, 09:01 PM
pdsm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Navigation system wrong setting, need help

I was playing around with the navigation system of my 06 RX400H because I read about the motion override online; however I was being stupid and chose the wrong option under the "load" menu, so the navigation system kept telling me "insert correct disk." While I was researching for a solution online, I saw information about "holding the Info button while turning light off and on three times to access the secret menu" trick. Hoping that I could find a simple "reset" option there, I was playing with the diagnostic mode quite a bit. One setting allow you to select the navigation unit start up logo between Toyota, Lexus, and None. There is another interesting option called "car setting" which I had no idea what it does. Seemed like it let you toogle between a numberous of settings, I remember one being 9001X4WD or something. I didn't know what the setting does and accidentally changed the vehicle setting for my navigation unit. After confirming the edit, I realized that the mapping for all the buttons on my panel completed changed! First of all the map button (which wasn't working at the time because I had the wrong load option) became the "Audio" button that is similar to the audio button on my other car, 06 IS350, it showed me all my audio presets and I could choose using the touch the screen (normally this feature is disabled for RX400H). I realized I might have screwed up the setting and wanted to change back to the original vehicle setting. I couldn't find much information online, so I figure I probably hit that set button by mistake 2 or 3 times, so I reverted the car code back to what it was 3 selections ago, and bam! My panel buttons are messed up even further! Now I don't even have access to the "info" button any more! I can still get access to the first level diagnostic mode using the "display setting" (display key is mapped to the info button now) then left upper corner + left lower corner method, however I can't change the vehicle code in this mode.

I took the car to a local dealer, and the service tech was like "what the heck did you do" and he said he had no idea how to fix this except to replace the whole navigation ECU which would cost thousands of bucks. I asked him it would be as simple as getting access to the onboard ECU memory and rewrite it and he said the data format is Toyota propriatery and the dealer doesn't know how to fix it.

Of course I wan't satisfied with the answer I got, I took the car home. Following some good information on forums and navigation ECU replace instructions on AllData, I was able to remove the navigation ECU from the car, then took it apart, disconnected the power daughter board, pused the black reset button(?), and then put everything back together. I have seem people saying this method working and not working, but for me it did work. When I restarted the vehicle, the "loading data do not turn off" screen came on, and after the system booted, GPS navigation is working as usual now. On e interesting observation, before the GPS unit has established a connection with the sattelites (took about 2-3 minutes to do so), the default location for the vehicle in the system is somewhere in Washington D.C.

Now I have undone my "load version" mistake. However, without the "info" button being mapped to the dash board, I don't even have access to the menu where you can change the "car code", so even if I know the correct code now, I wouldn't be able to enter it. also it seems that I was able to reset the ECU when I took it apart, I am suspecting that the setting for "car code" isn't store in the ECU but it is stored somewhere instead. So my question is:

1) Is there another way to get to the second level diagnostic menu w/o using "info" button which is unavailable to me now?
2) If the "car code" is stored else where, is there a fuse I can take out or something to clear the memory?

Thanks for reading my long post, I appreciate your help.
Old 05-02-09, 10:18 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

gotta be really careful on the navigation screens.

right now, you are saying that you got into the menu by being in the info screen and then flicking the lights on and off?

my way of getting into that menu is to go into the info screen (which i guess you cant do anymore) and find the DVD button which gives you the disc version. then you push the top left corner, then push the bottom left corner, then top the top left corner, then touch the bottom left corner, then push the bottom right corner. that will bring you to the sceen. so if you can find the DVD button, then thats your way in.

Hope you get it all straightened out.
Old 05-03-09, 07:27 AM
tfischer

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

Once you delve deep into the "diagnostic" menu, and every post I have ever seen regarding the secret codes warns against messing with any of the mysterious settings, and once you start playing around with a button "which I had no idea what it does," anything can happen and there is no telling what will be required to fix it.
I don't think you will find much help here, but your story will serve as a cautionary tale to the carelessly curious, which is good.
Old 05-03-09, 11:15 AM
pdsm
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RXSF
gotta be really careful on the navigation screens.

right now, you are saying that you got into the menu by being in the info screen and then flicking the lights on and off?

my way of getting into that menu is to go into the info screen (which i guess you cant do anymore) and find the DVD button which gives you the disc version. then you push the top left corner, then push the bottom left corner, then top the top left corner, then touch the bottom left corner, then push the bottom right corner. that will bring you to the sceen. so if you can find the DVD button, then thats your way in.

Hope you get it all straightened out.
Right now I don't have access to the "Info" button, but I do still have access to the "Disp" button. Disp button can take me to the first level diagnostic screen but doesn't me to the second level which is where I set the car code. I'm gonna try to find the fuse and do a reset today.
Old 05-03-09, 10:22 PM
sama
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pdsm
Right now I don't have access to the "Info" button, but I do still have access to the "Disp" button. Disp button can take me to the first level diagnostic screen but doesn't me to the second level which is where I set the car code. I'm gonna try to find the fuse and do a reset today.
Try this, at your own risk of course, may be it's too late anyway.
1) Start the engine.
(2) Switch to the "Display" button screen.
(3) From the display adjustment screen, touch the corners of the screen in the following order just below the display button for upper left and just above the contrast button for lower left in the following order:
upper left ? lower left ? upper left ? lower left ? upper left ? lower left.
(4) The diagnostic mode starts and the "System Check Mode" screen will be displayed. Service inspection starts automatically and the result will be displayed.

There are couple of buttons like Mem Clear and Error clear options.
Try those options. Good Luck & let everybody know how it goes.

Other users do not try any of the above options, you may end up just like this user screwing up the Navigation
Old 05-17-09, 11:47 AM
pdsm
Driver School Candidate

Update:

Took the car to the dealership, they couldn't figure out how to resolve this and asked for 7k for a new replacement unit or 1k for a refurbished one. My service adviser took me to one of their senior technicians and he suggested that I disconnet the battery for a while and see if that resets the setting for the navigation unit, he also told me it's possible for Lexus to swap the navigation unit from one car to another, and modify the button mapping so it would work and they have done it before.

I disconnected the battery before going to bed and reconnected it the second day. Turned out all the settings were wiped out (Radio presets, Air conditioning setting, etc.), but the button mapping was still wrong. I am suspecting that the key mapping (car model) information is stored in non-volatile memory and would require special reset (otherwise if they install a navigation unit into another car of different model, the nav unit wouldn't work after lose of power). I am going to do more research on this and hopefully find a solution.
Old 06-22-09, 09:09 PM
rxh_dw
Driver School Candidate

Default Any Luck?

Have you resolved this issue yet?
Old 08-15-09, 06:32 PM
pdsm
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy

Originally Posted by rxh_dw
Have you resolved this issue yet?
Nope, as of today I am still driving my car with button mapping all wrong
Old 08-15-09, 06:48 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Update:

Took the car to the dealership, they couldn't figure out how to resolve this and asked for 7k for a new replacement unit or 1k for a refurbished one. My service adviser took me to one of their senior technicians and he suggested that I disconnet the battery for a while and see if that resets the setting for the navigation unit, he also told me it's possible for Lexus to swap the navigation unit from one car to another, and modify the button mapping so it would work and they have done it before.

I disconnected the battery before going to bed and reconnected it the second day. Turned out all the settings were wiped out (Radio presets, Air conditioning setting, etc.), but the button mapping was still wrong. I am suspecting that the key mapping (car model) information is stored in non-volatile memory and would require special reset (otherwise if they install a navigation unit into another car of different model, the nav unit wouldn't work after lose of power). I am going to do more research on this and hopefully find a solution.
There is a seller on another lexus forum that will take old unit and give you
$1000 credit and you only pay $1500 for a brand new 2008 nav system preloaded with the latest software, full instructions on taking out your existing nav and instructions to install the new nav.
Old 10-10-10, 11:12 PM
advakatvmx
Driver School Candidate

I have the same problem as described in the first message. Changed all the buttons in the navigation block and climate control.

Did anyone solve this problem? How can I install the correct code to the car?
Thanks for any reply!
Old 05-11-12, 01:35 PM
raw
Driver School Candidate

Default 2006 Lexus RX400h Navigation ECU

I was playing around with the navigation system of my 06 RX400H because I read about the motion override online; however I was being stupid and chose the wrong option under the "load" menu, so the navigation system kept telling me "insert correct disk." While I was researching for a solution online, I saw information about "holding the Info button while turning light off and on three times to access the secret menu" trick. Hoping that I could find a simple "reset" option there, I was playing with the diagnostic mode quite a bit. One setting allow you to select the navigation unit start up logo between Toyota, Lexus, and None. There is another interesting option called "car setting" which I had no idea what it does. Seemed like it let you toogle between a numberous of settings, I remember one being 9001X4WD or something. I didn't know what the setting does and accidentally changed the vehicle setting for my navigation unit. After confirming the edit, I realized that the mapping for all the buttons on my panel completed changed! First of all the map button (which wasn't working at the time because I had the wrong load option) became the "Audio" button that is similar to the audio button on my other car, 06 IS350, it showed me all my audio presets and I could choose using the touch the screen (normally this feature is disabled for RX400H). I realized I might have screwed up the setting and wanted to change back to the original vehicle setting. I couldn't find much information online, so I figure I probably hit that set button by mistake 2 or 3 times, so I reverted the car code back to what it was 3 selections ago, and bam! My panel buttons are messed up even further! Now I don't even have access to the "info" button any more! I can still get access to the first level diagnostic mode using the "display setting" (display key is mapped to the info button now) then left upper corner + left lower corner method, however I can't change the vehicle code in this mode.

I took the car to a local dealer, and the service tech was like "what the heck did you do" and he said he had no idea how to fix this except to replace the whole navigation ECU which would cost thousands of bucks. I asked him it would be as simple as getting access to the onboard ECU memory and rewrite it and he said the data format is Toyota propriatery and the dealer doesn't know how to fix it.

Of course I wan't satisfied with the answer I got, I took the car home. Following some good information on forums and navigation ECU replace instructions on AllData, I was able to remove the navigation ECU from the car, then took it apart, disconnected the power daughter board, pused the black reset button(?), and then put everything back together. I have seem people saying this method working and not working, but for me it did work. When I restarted the vehicle, the "loading data do not turn off" screen came on, and after the system booted, GPS navigation is working as usual now. On e interesting observation, before the GPS unit has established a connection with the sattelites (took about 2-3 minutes to do so), the default location for the vehicle in the system is somewhere in Washington D.C.

Now I have undone my "load version" mistake. However, without the "info" button being mapped to the dash board, I don't even have access to the menu where you can change the "car code", so even if I know the correct code now, I wouldn't be able to enter it. also it seems that I was able to reset the ECU when I took it apart, I am suspecting that the setting for "car code" isn't store in the ECU but it is stored somewhere instead. So my question is:

1) Is there another way to get to the second level diagnostic menu w/o using "info" button which is unavailable to me now?
2) If the "car code" is stored else where, is there a fuse I can take out or something to clear the memory?

Thanks for reading my long post, I appreciate your help.
I have the same problem here. Did anyone figure out how to fix it or are all of your vehicles still stuck? I was able to remove the navigation ECU and take it apart but couldn't find the "black reset button." Would you please indicate where it is located exactly? My car has been like this for months and I can't find any solution. I tried taking it to the dealer and they tried to install a new ECU that costs $10,000 but it didn't work so I didn't have to pay. Thanks guys
Old 05-11-12, 01:35 PM
raw
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by advakatvmx
I have the same problem as described in the first message. Changed all the buttons in the navigation block and climate control.

Did anyone solve this problem? How can I install the correct code to the car?
Thanks for any reply!
did you find a solution by any chance?
Old 05-15-12, 07:08 PM
Who_Me
Rookie

Did you try rebooting the Nav System by ejecting the DVD and then reinserting it and letting it reboot?
Old 05-16-12, 07:19 AM
user 820442
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Who_Me
Did you try rebooting the Nav System by ejecting the DVD and then reinserting it and letting it reboot?
I though the same thing while reading through the posts in the thread. Ieems too obvious but why not go for it if you havent yet?
Old 05-16-12, 03:01 PM
Reposado
Driver School Candidate

I too have this same problem, it occurred overnight somehow last summer. Worked fine one day, next day all button functions were different. I've reset my NAV ECU but it didn't solve the problem, nor did disconnecting the battery.

Somehow the button memory has become corrupted. The dealer wants to start swapping out parts until they find the problem, but I'm not paying thousands for what should be an easy re-program procedure.

This is maddening...

Last edited by Reposado; 05-16-12 at 03:06 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Navigation system wrong setting, need help