RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

This one sucks more than the last one

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-08, 01:59 PM
rklages
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This one sucks more than the last one

After 2 yrs of frustration with my 06 GX470 with a zillion things going wrong with it, I traded it on an 09 RX - you would think they might have the RX right after 5 years. Had to take it in the year after I picked it up - the clear bra was installed like crap and the rear seat entertainment was so staticy that you could not use it (Both dealer install issues) - only other thing they installed was the trailer hitch (how can you screw up that???). So I go to use my trailer and realize the lights don't work, check the fuse, its ok, check the plug with the voltmeter, no power, check where the extension plugs into the harness inside the trunk, no power - double check all the fuses, no issues, just doesn't work. The RSE headphones work like crap so they need fixed (kinda been saving those up until the oil change, but now at 8000 miles it is leaking transmission fluid - great! No wonder Lexus quality rating is lower than Hyundai lately - I usually get new cars every few years, Lexus, BMW, Honda, Volvo and the only ones with problems are the Lexus models - I think this will be my last Lexus - I really only buy them because they are appliances and are supposed to function without issue for many many years - if I want something that has problems, I would at least buy something fun to drive like a BMW or Audi!
Old 11-09-08, 04:58 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow...sorry to hear about all your issues. It does sound though like all of those issues are dealer issues and not necessarily to do with the RX itself. I hope that they get them fixed up promptly for you
Old 11-09-08, 06:40 PM
triplecore
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rklages
After 2 yrs of frustration with my 06 GX470 with a zillion things going wrong with it, I traded it on an 09 RX - you would think they might have the RX right after 5 years. Had to take it in the year after I picked it up - the clear bra was installed like crap and the rear seat entertainment was so staticy that you could not use it (Both dealer install issues) - only other thing they installed was the trailer hitch (how can you screw up that???). So I go to use my trailer and realize the lights don't work, check the fuse, its ok, check the plug with the voltmeter, no power, check where the extension plugs into the harness inside the trunk, no power - double check all the fuses, no issues, just doesn't work. The RSE headphones work like crap so they need fixed (kinda been saving those up until the oil change, but now at 8000 miles it is leaking transmission fluid - great! No wonder Lexus quality rating is lower than Hyundai lately - I usually get new cars every few years, Lexus, BMW, Honda, Volvo and the only ones with problems are the Lexus models - I think this will be my last Lexus - I really only buy them because they are appliances and are supposed to function without issue for many many years - if I want something that has problems, I would at least buy something fun to drive like a BMW or Audi!
Our family buys news cars to alot; my mom and my sister; both are Mercedes, I'm Lexus and my dads toyota. All I can say is stay away from Mercedes there car wont leak transmission fluid, but they will have electrical problems. And on the E350 4matic the awd is always making a wine and needing some transmission fixes. The c240 4matic has been relatively reliable, no actually it really has not hand any issues (yes i am saying its reliable; with biases bc I have Lexus ) The only problem is that every few months the left taillight burns out and its only the left tail light!!! The Mercedes is quieter than the Lexus; both are sedans and 38k on E and 52k on the C while my 04 RX has 70k. You will miss Lexus service; the Mercedes dealer feels like a step up from my dad's Toyota dealer. The Lexus dealers seems like it was planned to be "luxury" not upgraded. Then again it depends on the dealer once when our car had "check engine" in New Jersey on vacation, the Mercedes dealer looked great. Enjoy the BMW or Audi. Please don't buy a X3, or 3 or any Beamer with a 3 their just tacky, over produced, low class, wannabe cars.

Last edited by triplecore; 11-09-08 at 06:44 PM.
Old 11-09-08, 07:10 PM
kalvano
Lead Lap

So how did Lexus screw anything up?

Sounds like it was all on the dealer.
Old 11-09-08, 07:33 PM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

whatever. you've had a bad experience, worse than most or none of us would be happy. very unfortunate and i'm sure i would be frustrated too. get something else.
Old 11-10-08, 04:32 PM
rklages
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kalvano
So how did Lexus screw anything up?

Sounds like it was all on the dealer.
Mostly all dealer issues, seems like they can't actually do anything right - guess it is time to find a new dealer, but the transmission fluid leak seems to be a quality issue - dealer hasn't screwed that up....yet!
Old 11-10-08, 06:43 PM
sup_lexio
Driver School Candidate

All your issues are dealer related ...just take it back have them fix your problem if not... Contact lexus headquaters write them a nice letter send it over their e mail and believe me you will get an answer right away..you dont have to go thru that you are a lexus owner best luxury in their class.
Old 11-11-08, 09:22 AM
sportsfan8
Pole Position

LOL. Copy and paste what you wrote and send it to the dealer. No use posting here.
Old 11-22-08, 05:36 PM
rklages
Pole Position

Update - don't have it back yet, but that is yet another dealer issue - I bought the dent and curb rash coverage and after 2 weeks of calling I couldn't get the company to actually return calls and send a tech - turns out the company used in the area is out of business, so trying to get my money back from the dealer and they are fixing the door ding I have on Monday, everthing else is fixed.

The leak was from the front diff - apparently it was completely junk and they replaced the whole front diff unit completely to fix the issue - impressive at only 9000 miles.

Trailer lights - apparently all was wired correctly, but the trailer control module blackbox was just mysteriously missing, not sure if it was supposed to be there from the factory or if it was part of the trailer kit the dealer put in, but either way - another home run for the dealer if they don't even plug in a tester to make sure the wiring works!!

I should have learned with regards to the dealer with my 06 GX - they did a fix for a drive shaft clunk (which ultimately made me trade the car since it was always not right after that). They replaced the driveshaft and some suspension parts, got it back, no clunk, but leaving oil on my driveway, look underneath and one of the rear shocks is leaking oil - they managed to damage it - take it back - they fix it - 700 shock. I go home, decide to take a look at my nice new shock and I look and it is the old one, still leaking, go over to the other side and I have a brand new shock - unbelievable, they can't tell the difference between the oil soaked one and the dry one, get another shock, they damage the rear bumper and have to paint that to fix it. Finally get it back and occassionaly the suspension just looses all dampening and it is like riding a pogo stick, flick the electronic dampening button a few times and it fixes itself. This is on top of the fact that random dash lights come on since the day it was new about once a week for random amounts of time for about a year - 3 attempts to fix it but they never find anything wrong until it goes into reduced power mode one day and they finally can find the problem - some air pump emmision thing - put 30000 miles on the car in 2 years - worst car car I have ever owned bar none, but thought it was a fluke, my 99 rx was perfect for 100,000 miles - then comes the 09 - probably the last lexus I ever own - my german cars are all much much more reliable (scarey to even say, but true!). I really only buy the Lexus for the reliablity and would much rather have an X5 or Q5 or Q7 for the joy of driving it, if the Lexus isn't reliable I don't see the point of owning it - guess time will tell!
Old 11-22-08, 06:06 PM
kingofire
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

Where did you take it to fix these issues? Dont tell me Herb Chambers formerly known as Lexus of Norwood. Those service people dont know anything there. I used to be a mechanic too but rheumotoid arthritis and other illnesses took over and I have to take it to a dealership. I trust two places, Lexus of Watertown and Boch Toyota South. Stay away from Ira and Herb Chambers owned dealerships they are all hire people to save money. Dont ask me how I know this.

X
Old 11-26-08, 05:13 PM
rklages
Pole Position

Lexus of Watertown - got it back today, they took care of everything and then some - no complaints, it sucks when a 6 month old car has problems, but it is a car and they all have issues, some just more than others - as long as they take care of it without too much hassle, then things are good. They treated me well, took care of some other minor things for me and so far it looks like they did a good job while I put some miles on one of their cars instead of mine! I have heard stories of the big chains and the value they put on employees - I try to deal with the dealers that seem to treat their employees well so they are there when I go back to the dealer, I can get to know the people and have a relationship with my SA and Salesman for the times I need repairs and to change vehicles. If there is a new employee everytime I go in, I might as well just go to another dealer, it is all about the same!

Rob
Old 11-27-08, 09:19 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

lexus dealers now sell trailers too?

I think your dealer would be happy if you moved on to the BMW/MB :-)
Old 12-08-08, 09:36 AM
Junkxus
Rookie

I would dump it. I had 2, yes 2 2008 RX350 (one was replaced due to major defects) the second one was still a Junkxus!! I traded for a BMW X5 and it has been flawless in 11K miles. The RX is just a cookie cutter Camry with AWD. A Toyota in a Tux!! Other members here complain about badge engineering, that is all Toyota has done with the RX, and ES models.
Old 12-08-08, 10:43 AM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rklages
maybe it happened to you because you were being so negative in the first place?
Old 12-08-08, 12:55 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

No, it happened to a lot of owners. Lexus quality is not it use to be.

Quick Reply: This one sucks more than the last one